Yamaha SRV 540

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
image.jpg a project to get my son on his first sled, dosnt need a lot to get it ripping through the snow, We're going to work on it together and if we can get the parts we need we hope to have it on snow this winter, if you got any parts for this kicking around you have no use for let me know and I may buy them off you.

Last edited:

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Machine Catmando ,your son is truly gotta enjoy riding with the Legend yippee

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have some rear skid parts laying in the shed yet. It is all pretty bagged though

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me know nytroman, I'm just getting started and havnt looked to close at the skid as my priority right now is getting the new rings and jugs in it and once it's running will take care of the smaller stuff, damn sled is in pretty good shape for its age, sat for the last 2 or three years in a field , so far cleaned up real good, can't wait to see my son go for his first rip.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I drove to some little hick town in central AB to get that sled yrs ago. brought it home and it was really good cond. Gave it to my dad in 98 for X-mas, gave him a runaround gift getting him to search all over the place finding clue after clue to where the "real" gift is. Finally had him open an envelope that made him go for a walk about 300ft onto the lake where another clue was waiting, sending him to the boathouse...

The sled for my dad probably in hindsight wasn't such a hot ideer cause he would have a few Bushmill's shots, get his gear on, try to start the sled, glasses all fogged up, then burn a belt trying to go full blast while its frozen to the ground. Eventually he'd get it going and all you'd see were the tiny little tail light moving slowly across the lake far far away. He'd come back with bruises from getting bumped off at full speed from a fishing ice hole hidden in the snow, broken stuff of all sorts...mostly pride, and always, always his glasses were totally fogged up! Lol.

When I'd go with him, we'd start off with me warming up my sled, just moving slow, letting ole Betsy do her thing and as always, he'd go burning by super mega full throttle again, glasses fogged in his helmet, a blur. I'd usually catch up to him a few hundred feet later when the trail took a turn. Now, having armour all'd the seat (heh heh heh)to make it shiny for him, I'd find him dragging his ass out of a snow bank cause he'd slid right off the machine like butter off a hot perogy. Well, up he'd get, start the machine and ZOOM, gone in a flash again, leaving me to watch in amazement and fear of finding him shish kabobed/impailed on something...somewhere...up ahead. I'd just shake my head. He did always survive tho.

The sled was stuck in the lake, had at least 3 people on it at 1 time, many times, and was used and abused by all the relatives year after year and still ran and looked great. Despite all the crazy stuff my dad did, we all had a lot of fun with that tough little sled. At one point my sister overheated it and cooked the motor. Last I saw it it was rebuilt and used for the occasional bounce down the trails. I always wondered what became of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 229

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is so cool,I will definatly keep this updated, you may have to be patient though LOL!

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the srv I built for my boy...I did not do do the tunnel or the skid.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 191
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 195
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 246

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ps: I have a parts guy up here in vega who has all the parts you need... clutches, plastics, skids, motors... what you need? anything vintage yammi.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little update, got the parts I'm missing and just got to pick them up,also found a new seat. May need some odds and ends but I think I'm on the right track, well maby some bigger paddles and stretch it out a bit , likely be a summer project .

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ps: I have a parts guy up here in vega who has all the parts you need... clutches, plastics, skids, motors... what you need? anything vintage yammi.
once I get everything I have acquired so far I will let you know, I'm sure I will come across something I need,thanks.

john.

Reaction score
hey guys I got a 1986 Yamaha xv-l but it only runs on one cylinder. it has spark and fuel and compression is good. what would be the problem?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmmm, not quit that mechanically inclined, let us know when you find out.

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys I got a 1986 Yamaha xv-l but it only runs on one cylinder. it has spark and fuel and compression is good. what would be the problem?

just to comfirm... you have spark, fuel and compression on both cylinders? if so is the compression equal on both sides? these motors are old but still run great at 90 psi. I thought my motor had probs but I took the carb apart cleaned it real good and it ran like a champ. it was letting fuel straight thru the carb and ended up dumped in the pipe. when I could finaly open her up tons of fuel dumped out of the exaughst onto my shop floor... no prob since.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am gonna guess it is the clutch side that is not firing

Top Bottom