Yamaha Nytro

Reaction score
hey guys. Im looking into buying a used Turbo Nytro, what are some things to look for and the best kits to look for. Im also looking at a propane turbo nyrto. pros and cons of each kit would be nice. Thanks guys

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys. Im looking into buying a used Turbo Nytro, what are some things to look for and the best kits to look for. Im also looking at a propane turbo nyrto. pros and cons of each kit would be nice. Thanks guys

I'll sell you mine, full custom built, 2nd stage 240hp setup. 174x2.5 CamoX track turning on Iceage rails. Save your self alot of head aches and money. $37,000 invested. The bugs are all worked out and its a turn key ride. AND a head turner....she constantly gets checked out by peeps and their million question's.
If your wanting to know what has been changed or modified...haha its easier to tell you what has NOT been or what is still Yamaha.
Engine, gear box and clutches are Yamaha....LOL

If your interested, maybe we can work something out. But i'm not responsible for death or injury, she is a kickass ride and your riding better be up to snuff to handle this girl, she not a little boy's toy.

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 4 turbo nytros in our group. Two Mcx 270 kits. 1 Simmons propane unit, and my impulse/boost it setup. They all seem to run good. The propane unit showed up two weeks ago, so limited time on it so far. They make feild blasting a lot more fun. I find the 800 s are a nice tree riding machine, play ground type sled. Much the same thing as I use my élan for. The nytro are fun for holding to the bar and putting some kilometers on around home.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your buying a used nytro with some kms. Check the front end over carefully as the front a arm bushings seem to wear quickly. As far a turbo kits, the only problem with the Mcx we have seen is cracking on the exhaust on the flex joints. Otherwise all have been solid units so far.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to bad its a 174 i dont make it to the hills enough to use one of them long bastards.

You could always use it to dig your ditches, then use it to ride in hahaha
If you ditch bag one of these brutes, your going to need to reinforce the subframe, they tweak easily and i'ed be willing to bet that a good majority of Nytro's out there have tweaked subframes. Something to check when buying a used Nytro, don't be surprise if you cannot find one that is not tweaked. Unless its has been reinforced already.

As already mentioned the A-arm bushings wear out quickly on these.

Last edited:

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few good kits for these sleds, but mcx and Boost it are the best. Some others, like Powderlites, made a good kit but poor fuel system. The exhaust leaks are a concern on any turbo sled over 3000 km, but are not a huge deal to fix. Make sure it is set up the way you like, things like a skid that can handle the power. Changing things after is where the cost is. These sleds are a lot of fun, I wouldn't trade mine for any two stroke. I hope yours works out the same.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend in camrose has one for sale. Mint shape, tons of extras. Its a 164. Probably could get it for 10 g. Mc express turbo.

fisherman420

Reaction score
I picked up a 162 mcx180 at the start of the year with 6000kms but had all the goodies suspension wise. Had to replace the relay for the rollover valve and the sled has been great, turn the key at any elevation and go!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 162 mcx180 at the start of the year with 6000kms but had all the goodies suspension wise. Had to replace the relay for the rollover valve and the sled has been great, turn the key at any elevation and go!

Do your self a favor and ditch the roll over valve. We have seen more Yamaha engine failure related to them thing's not working. There are way better way's to protect your motor in a roll over.
I'm very amazed any dealer would continue selling them. CR-racing won't sell them, neither does any Yamaha dealer with knowledgeable mountain experience.
Mountain sled's spend alot of time on their heads and feet in the air. Well over 90% of Yamaha 4stroke failures are caused by being upside down and many had rollover valve on them.

fisherman420

Reaction score
Coming off of a 130hp mountain max 700 with a 151 the 180 has tons of power for my needs (for now anyways) and easy enough to bump it to the 240 setup. Thanks for the heads up Lund but if I ditch the valve what do you suggest to protect the motor?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming off of a 130hp mountain max 700 with a 151 the 180 has tons of power for my needs (for now anyways) and easy enough to bump it to the 240 setup. Thanks for the heads up Lund but if I ditch the valve what do you suggest to protect the motor?

The best thing is contact Chad at CR-racing, ask him what you need on your Nytro for roll over's. Basically it will be a basic tether a recovery tank and hoses.

BTW you can't easily convert a 190 setup to a 240 setup. The 240 turbo is larger and consist of extra injectors mounted in the inner cooler. Plus depending on the 190 kit you have, some had no innercooler.
Basically going to a 240 from a 190, your starting from scratch.

Last edited:

94YJ

Reaction score
I have a rear mount from alpine motorsports in s.a and they make a good roll over kit, a few hoses a small tank and a tether,(just like Lund said) I have never had a problem with the kit and my nytro has spent lots of time up side down and other various weird position. The kit doesn't come with a tether as i added that on, you will need it, all together it was around 200 bucks. Not bad considering how much your nytros worth.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will give you a deal on my apex if power is what your after, turn key pucker power lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing is contact Chad at CR-racing, ask him what you need on your Nytro for roll over's. Basically it will be a basic tether a recovery tank and hoses

I'm not clear on this, are guys just installing roll over valves with no tether? Sounds like it from 94YJ's post - his tether was an add-on. So with no roll over valve, if the tether does not come disconnected, will the sled shut itself off due to loss of oil pressure? A few weeks ago at Silent Pass, I watched a guy flip over backwards on his Pro and got pinned in his trench under the sled, couldn't move his arms enough to pull his tether off and throttle was stuck at full pin. Blew the belt off and ran like that for about 30-40 seconds until the he got his arm free enough to shut it down. If it was a 4 stroke with no roll over that motor would have been toast. Have the OFT setup with Pro-armor tether and wondering what disadvantages this kit has since it already has a tether and a roll over valve. The Jake valve in it just seems like extra security on top of the tether, no? I agree that on a sled that costs more than an import car, tether should be factory installed.

Top Bottom