y pipe, pipe and can choices

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had great success with the spi pipe and y pipe combo $760.00 for both and both are ceramic coated. You are correct in saying a spike in hp is not a gain. I believe to consciously sell a pipe combo there has to be noticeable gains on the complete rpm range. I also believe in order to make any flow changes to the exhaust side of an engine you should be prepared to make changes to the intake side as well to allow maximum flow in and out. Etecs are a breed all on their own when it comes to sensor placement in both the pipe and the can which IMO is the bulk of problems with hp loss and check engine lights. Keep in mind oem manufacturers make things good enough, but is it as good as it could be?? If it was we have only stock classes in the racing world because there would be absolutely no gains in any aftermarket parts.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS
I have herd good things with this combo to Deano .

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had great success with the spi pipe and y pipe combo $760.00 for both and both are ceramic coated. You are correct in saying a spike in hp is not a gain. I believe to consciously sell a pipe combo there has to be noticeable gains on the complete rpm range. I also believe in order to make any flow changes to the exhaust side of an engine you should be prepared to make changes to the intake side as well to allow maximum flow in and out. Etecs are a breed all on their own when it comes to sensor placement in both the pipe and the can which IMO is the bulk of problems with hp loss and check engine lights. Keep in mind oem manufacturers make things good enough, but is it as good as it could be?? If it was we have only stock classes in the racing world because there would be absolutely no gains in any aftermarket parts.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS
are you saying that with the spi pipe and y pipe you need an aftermarket air box to get any benefit ?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you saying that with the spi pipe and y pipe you need an aftermarket air box to get any benefit ?

I wouldn't say an after market box but probably some air box mods would be a good idea.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say an after market box but probably some air box mods would be a good idea. ////

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working![/QUOTE//////////So give me an example of air Box mods?Seems to me nobody knows for sure?Alot of people will say a sled pulls harder or feels different just based on the sounds of the motor.I really dont believe testimony from guys that got off there stock sled and tried there buddys sled that has a pipe and y-pipe on it.and nobody has an opinion on taking off the insalation on a stock brp pipe and ceramic coating it for better flow.would it be heavier by doing that?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just put some SLP flow rights in the upper air box so if the stock ones get plugged of it would still breath good. And if need to pull more air it could do that to.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just put some SLP flow rights in the upper air box so if the stock ones get plugged of it would still breath good. And if need to pull more air it could do that to.

Has anyone tried this air box

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say an after market box but probably some air box mods would be a good idea. ////

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working![/QUOTE//////////So give me an example of air Box mods?Seems to me nobody knows for sure?Alot of people will say a sled pulls harder or feels different just based on the sounds of the motor.I really dont believe testimony from guys that got off there stock sled and tried there buddys sled that has a pipe and y-pipe on it.and nobody has an opinion on taking off the insalation on a stock brp pipe and ceramic coating it for better flow.would it be heavier by doing that?
Thought about doing it. Think it might be lighter actually. Don't really see how it would flow much better at all tho?

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never tried it but heard it worked good. I like the way it hooks the upper and lower air boxes together.

It sure looks like it would flow more.

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try wrapping the exhaust like car headers with header wrap? Keep pipe heat in well and keep engine bay temps down?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try wrapping the exhaust like car headers with header wrap? Keep pipe heat in well and keep engine bay temps down?

Yeah I,ve done that works good. After market pipes, are generally lighter and people want them to look cool. Stock pipe looks hurtin,, but it works good. Aftermarket single pipe setups for the ectec don't do chit......

Top Bottom