y pipe, pipe and can choices

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im wondering what pipe setups guys are running on their 13 Etecs. Ive heard rave reviews of the Dyno Port system. lets hear what you have to say!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly from the from what the dynos are saying,, stock exuast works the best on the etec.

Id get a can (just for wieght saving,,might even lose 1hp),,and maybe the Y pipe(good for 1hp) Keep the stock pipe tho:twocents:

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money NoBrakes
Stock is the best Y pipe and pipe are waisting your doe

Put a can on for weight savings thats all

I run a MBRP and love the sound not killer loud Just right
birdie

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is some reading on the components from trygstad.... probably best items for upgrading the etec. Read the note at the bottom of the page too....

I've heard that too duck. Thanks for sharing that link.

For can I am going with HPS and buying off Chrisco here on the site. :D :beer:

snowthing

Reaction score
i run a crank shop pipe y-pipe and speciality can on my 2012 etec while all the other 12 and 13 etec's in my group run just a can and me along with others that have rode my sled say that they can feel a difference and i do go farther faster than those with just a can

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There are lots of choices for spending money but the etec is sooooo good the way it is, the only thing you really need to doo is remove the stock muffler and replace with a can. Its only going to net 10 lbs or so weight loss and make it sound like a modded sled.....lol
If you want to fiddle and wrench, then add a turbo and have fun.... Although that 872 etec big bore from trygstad looks good too....its just $$$$$$

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of choices for spending money but the etec is sooooo good the way it is, the only thing you really need to doo is remove the stock muffler and replace with a can. Its only going to net 10 lbs or so weight loss and make it sound like a modded sled.....lol
If you want to fiddle and wrench, then add a turbo and have fun.... Although that 872 etec big bore from trygstad looks good too....its just $$$$$$
I run Trygstad stuff He will not call it a gain if it shows a spike in horsepower it has to show a solid gain.I chatted with a mod shop in new york aswell and he said that there's a company that claims 5hp on a Y pipe and it made 1 HP and second pull on the dyno lost 3+hp becarefull its a game,but he is buddies with rich dailey and he said dyno ports did make some power Lol wouldn't say how much ,but said it never lost like other's.He tested 5 diffrent Y-pipes. Cheers Trygstad E-tec did goood in jackson hole and his BB with (Tom Roby)piloting it. Good job guy's.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I will tell you first hand that the slp pipe kit works. Tons more mid range trq/hp gains. Top end you just pulls hard, 5 mph more track speeds. Not a ton but you can feel it. We have compared a stocker to just a slp setup, jumping from one to the other right after and it works. I would recommend it to anyone.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I will tell you first hand that the slp pipe kit works. Tons more mid range trq/hp gains. Top end you just pulls hard, 5 mph more track speeds. Not a ton but you can feel it. We have compared a stocker to just a slp setup, jumping from one to the other right after and it works. I would recommend it to anyone.

was this slp on a 2013 xm?, ive heard that people are reporting a loss on the 2013 xm with slp.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old post here.... Yes it was a 13 xm. Well after a season we added weight, changed a spring and this sled had a 3" track. Comparing to a stock xm with 3" you see and feel the diffrence. Big gains in the midrange, really helped to snap the 3" track. As well there was 15lbs weight loss if memory serves right.

image.jpg

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, for the price of it, im going to wait the season and see the reviews for 2014. I sure don't want to be one of the guys that is seeing a loss.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had great success with the spi pipe and y pipe combo $760.00 for both and both are ceramic coated. You are correct in saying a spike in hp is not a gain. I believe to consciously sell a pipe combo there has to be noticeable gains on the complete rpm range. I also believe in order to make any flow changes to the exhaust side of an engine you should be prepared to make changes to the intake side as well to allow maximum flow in and out. Etecs are a breed all on their own when it comes to sensor placement in both the pipe and the can which IMO is the bulk of problems with hp loss and check engine lights. Keep in mind oem manufacturers make things good enough, but is it as good as it could be?? If it was we have only stock classes in the racing world because there would be absolutely no gains in any aftermarket parts.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at SLPs dyno chart it looks like they are only seeing the gain at the very end spinning the engine up to 8200 rpm. I wonder if there is a reason BRP chose to lower peak RPM as they did with the ETEC. Some people around here figure there are much better harmonics at the lower RPM? I really dont know.

Sorry Dean, but I havent heard good things about the SPI from anyone I know that has tried it. Know 2 people that ended up taking it off. Pretty knowledgable tuners too. Heard the same thing about SLP setups, but that is more third hand info.

Be curious to get out and ride with someone with these setups. Decided Im not wasting another penny on aftermarket parts until I have tried it, and am wowed by it. Guy can waste a lot of money in a hurry basing decisions off of internet reviews.

Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May I ask these "tuners" you speak of were they running the spi exhaust on etecs or pteks?? And I guess that would bring up another good debate. What makes a good tuner? Is it understanding engines, is it understanding clutching or is it both? More food for thought is what works in the usa does not necessarily work in canada. First you need to understand at what rpm does an engine make its peak hp and torque once that has been accomplished now you must understand how to capture that with your clutch and gear setup. Loading the engine to quickly will not allow it to ever reach its peak rpm range however not loading it quick enough or having it unload doesnt work very well either. As far as brp products are concerned we know that thermostats and engine temps are an issue, they work in stock form however when you add components such as exhausts,intakes, big bores basically anything the allows more air and fuel into the engine it amplifies the problem by creating more heat, thus resulting in heat fade. All to often specific components are sold and changed with the theory that it will just make more power with out actually looking at the bigger picture and thinking of it as a package deal. Doesnt matter what you change it always has an affect on something else. No matter who's exhaust is on the sled heat fade is heat fade. At any rate this is all just my opinion, there are many options to choose from.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 etec and 1 ptec. And yes, very knowledgable guys that understand engines and clutching.

I really dont mean to offend you or anyone else. If I see something in person that actually makes a big difference I would consider it. Until then the new sled is staying stock.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For you double if not triple LOL. My mbrp cans trail or race are all 300.00

Deano

Top Bottom