Xp suspension upgrade for 08/09

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
Hey there. Need some help. Looking to get some suspension work done before the riding season starts. I was told that an upgrade kit is available for the 08/09 xp's that helps eliminate the sag. My shocks need rebuilding and I heard Enzo will rebuild/ re valve the 2 fronts and the middle shock and replaces the rear shock with a longer one. They will also give a bracket to relocate something on the skid and New heavier springs for the shocks. Has anyone gone this route. didn't want to spend the $1500 they charge if it doesn't make a huge difference.
Any imput please!
THanks

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call dealer and if its a 154 the part number is 860200404 at $574.99. It upgrades your suspension to the 2010-2012 specs and comes with the front HPG shock and rear valving kit. there some info for you and get the 2012 parts book... all factory parts... and you can upgrade front suspension to the 2012.... its only money

Champagne powder

Reaction score
I'm having my 2008 xp summit suspension changed with new kit from brp next week. New middle shock comes with kit and having rear shock re valved. Cost for me I'm told is $500 for kit and 2 hr install @ $75hr + 1.5 hrs @ $75hr for rear shock rebuilt. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh I already have heavier springs installed. Does anyone have 2 wheel kit installed? Wondering if it makes a difference for side hilling etc.

Last edited:

01Sharp

Reaction score
Call dealer and if its a 154 the part number is 860200404 at $574.99. It upgrades your suspension to the 2010-2012 specs and comes with the front HPG shock and rear valving kit. there some info for you and get the 2012 parts book... all factory parts... and you can upgrade front suspension to the 2012.... its only money

Are you talking about the S36 package? Doesn't this also come with shorter A arms to narrow up the stance?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 2 different packages from BRP. The rear suspension upgrade is for the 08 and 09 154's, and comes with new rails and a longer center shock. This is supposed to put less pressure on the front of the sled. In 2010, this was stock. The S-36 package is a front suspension upgrade that gives a narrower front end using shorter A-arms and new shocks. This makes the sled easier to lay over. Some say too easy, but most love it. In 2011, this was stock.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

robhayward

Reaction score
I'd say the package from Enzo will accomplish what you're looking for and then some. Stock new or worn out shocks don't compare to what you'll get from Enzo and the bracket/rail swap helps with attack angle more so than fix the rear sag. A good setup and probably stiffer rear springs will. Slack out the front limiter and soften the front shock spring, then check sag.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the S36 package? Doesn't this also come with shorter A arms to narrow up the stance?
Yes it does and i believe you need to install different tie rod sleeves.... from what i have seen so far

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the S-36 package comes with everything you need. If you just buy shorter arms you will have to shorten the tie rods. Plus the stock shock length makes the sled sit a little higher if just buying arms only.

For the price of the package with new shocks, its a deal and a half!

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
most Doo dealers will sell you the S-36 rear suspension kit without telling you that they do NOT do the re valving, they may even refer you to a Polaris dealer to try and revalve it, you can buy all of the tools listed on the directions if you have access to a nitrogen bottle and a way to adapt to it, they may even sell you Doo oil to refill it with if your real lucky.
I have this kit and I really wish I would have bought the extreme vents kit, for way less money and way way less work to install.
How can Ski-Doo allow dealers to be part of their business if they cant stack some shims, pour in some oil and pressure a shock up, At a minimum the people selling the rear kit should mention that you need special fitting and tools, I did ask this when ordering the kit and was told they did not know but said "I guess you will find out when you get the re valving kit, I never thought to ask if this is something that they are capable of as I assumed that they are in the snowmobile industry, So now I will phone a Polaris dealer, Note their sleds side hill properly right out of the box and dont need to upgrade.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most Doo dealers will sell you the S-36 rear suspension kit without telling you that they do NOT do the re valving, they may even refer you to a Polaris dealer to try and revalve it, you can buy all of the tools listed on the directions if you have access to a nitrogen bottle and a way to adapt to it, they may even sell you Doo oil to refill it with if your real lucky.
I have this kit and I really wish I would have bought the extreme vents kit, for way less money and way way less work to install.
How can Ski-Doo allow dealers to be part of their business if they cant stack some shims, pour in some oil and pressure a shock up, At a minimum the people selling the rear kit should mention that you need special fitting and tools, I did ask this when ordering the kit and was told they did not know but said "I guess you will find out when you get the re valving kit, I never thought to ask if this is something that they are capable of as I assumed that they are in the snowmobile industry, So now I will phone a Polaris dealer, Note their sleds side hill properly right out of the box and dont need to upgrade.

There is no such thing as the S-36 rear suspension kit.

Sounds like you would be better off with the RMK. Although good luck finding an 08/09 RMK that handles like the same year Doo. Not even a 36" narrow stance kit would change an 08/09 Polaris.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some s-36 kits in stock, it's actually quite a bargain for what you get especially if you have a pounded out Everest.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This post is completly worhless^^^. This S-36 rear suspension kit dosent exist what so ever. The upgrade in the rear for the 08/09 summits is to move the rear/centre shock mounting location back an inch and use a longer shock. I dont think doo ever offered this as a kit, its all aftermarket guys who are offering this mod.

Last edited:

Champagne powder

Reaction score
Just starting to tear down back skid and installing kit myself. I had the guys at specialty recreation & Marine (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) revalve the rear shock ($115). I also bought the front s36kit as well. This is my first time tearing sled apart so might take me awhile. Ill update as I go, installing between work and playing with 3yr old daughter. Anyone with tips for install would be appreciated. Front S36 kit(860200557) $569. Rear Suspension kit(860200404) $500. Anyone interested in my center shock,rails,front shocks,a arms etc just pm me.

Last edited:

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The front end isnt to bad I had mine out many times you will have to lose the skid plate if you have one on. The lower a arms you willl have to grind down a 17mm wrench to get in there to hold the rear nuts, you will see what I am talking about once you get there.

No big suprises with the rear suspension helps if you have air tools to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the skid in, another set of hands helps too when you wrestling the skid in or out.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
The parts book labels the rear suspension part # 860200404 as a S-36 rear suspension upgrade, It is listed right under the S-36 front end narrowing kit,In less this is a mis print they are calling it S-36??? Just came from the Edmonton sled show, I asked several people in the industry for help finding someone to do the re valving including the Ski-Doo booth, No luck so far, If anyone knows where to get a skidoo shock re valved and or rebuilt I would be very thankfull, If the cost of the special tools needed are too much I am considering returning this rear suspension upgrade and paying the 15% restocking charge and buying a product that can be serviced, If anyone wants to see the color brochure that calls the rear kit an S-36 rear upgrade they can visit any Doo dealer or it should be on the Doo website, This sled can side hill like a 2012 Ski-Doo, it will just take time and money, throttle control and some support from Ski-Doo to ensure that their shocks can be serviced by every dealer allowed to sell the rear suspension kit. Brand Loyalty is the reason I have been on Doos 15 years straight but I will not defend any model for the sake of loyalty in a forum, A mid 90's Yamaha V-max and a Cat Powder Extreme were boat anchors when the 96 Summit ruled the world, I think anyone defending those sleds looks back and wonders why they didn't switch brands before they dropped thousands to get 1/2 way up the hill while the stock Doo wheelied over the top, 1500.00 into an 08 or 09 XP suspension will result in an acceptable improvement to a flawed set up for side hilling that was a big step back from a 2007 Rev.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
Just re visited the color brochure, I stand corrected on the brochure, the S-36 word is not associated with the rear suspension upgrade, it is above it and refers strictly to the front kit, Sorry Frank and Bounce
still doesn't change the fact that the dealers don't want to re valve them.
I will reply when I know what the special tools cost re calibrate the rear shock.

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
I started this thread to find out info on ENZO Racing Canada in High River. They have a set up for the rear suspension that does what the so call S-36 does. I sent my front shocks and rear shock to be re valved and rebuild. They are gonna send me back a longer middle shock that is valved to my riding style/weight plus the brackets and hardware to mount it in a different spot on the skid. This will correct the sag that 08/09 doo's have.
I'll keep you posted but so far they are cool to deal with.
If anyone else has any experience with this then don't be shy. Fill us in

Top Bottom