xp leaky oil cap

campstove

Reaction score
does anyone have a fix for the leaky oil cap on xp's?? i have checked the rubber o ring seal, its fine. it almost seems like you can't get the cap tight enough to seal around the threads. tried a cap off a 96mxz,they are a little taller, more threads, but still leaks. really tired of the mess. help!!!

woody44

Reaction score
go on the dootalk website. Here's a guy that sells an oil reservoir insert. I bought one and it works great - swap oil cap with gas cap and it will fix your problem! Here's the website:
ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com

Woody44

Oil Reservoir Delrin Insert PRICE $15 USD
OIL TANK INSERTS>
ALUMINUM INSERTS WILL FIT SKI-DOO, ARCTIC CAT, AND POLARIS
(CONTACT ME FOR ARCTIC CAT AND POLARIS MODEL FITMENT) ...
THIS PART WILL RESHAPE THE OIL RESERVOIR OPENING BACK TO ROUND TO HELP STOP LEAKS ... DESIGNED TO FIT OEM OIL CAPS AND RESERVOIRS

TYPE #1 -- fitment 2008/current XP chassis
TYPE #2 -- fitment 2003-2007 REV chassis
TYPE #3 -- any 2003/older SKIDOO (ZX, CK, and S chassis) and most ARCTIC CAT and POLARIS models

$15.00 each US FUNDS ( shipping included ) shipped anywhere in NORTH AMERICA

please add 5% ($.75 per part) to the total if using PAYPAL
my PAYPAL address is DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

send cashiers check, personal check, or money order to:
DAN PARCEL
609 N. WOOSTER ST.
ALGONA, IA 50511

please let me know your full name, shipping address, and sled(s) year/model with payment ... all orders are shipped USPS MAIL within 24 hrs. of received payment .. any questions ??? > email DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM ..

THANK YOU .. DAN03REV

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
go on the dootalk website. Here's a guy that sells an oil reservoir insert. I bought one and it works great - swap oil cap with gas cap and it will fix your problem! Here's the website:
ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com

Woody44

Oil Reservoir Delrin Insert PRICE $15 USD
OIL TANK INSERTS>
ALUMINUM INSERTS WILL FIT SKI-DOO, ARCTIC CAT, AND POLARIS
(CONTACT ME FOR ARCTIC CAT AND POLARIS MODEL FITMENT) ...
THIS PART WILL RESHAPE THE OIL RESERVOIR OPENING BACK TO ROUND TO HELP STOP LEAKS ... DESIGNED TO FIT OEM OIL CAPS AND RESERVOIRS

TYPE #1 -- fitment 2008/current XP chassis
TYPE #2 -- fitment 2003-2007 REV chassis
TYPE #3 -- any 2003/older SKIDOO (ZX, CK, and S chassis) and most ARCTIC CAT and POLARIS models

$15.00 each US FUNDS ( shipping included ) shipped anywhere in NORTH AMERICA

please add 5% ($.75 per part) to the total if using PAYPAL
my PAYPAL address is DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

send cashiers check, personal check, or money order to:
DAN PARCEL
609 N. WOOSTER ST.
ALGONA, IA 50511

please let me know your full name, shipping address, and sled(s) year/model with payment ... all orders are shipped USPS MAIL within 24 hrs. of received payment .. any questions ??? > email DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM ..

THANK YOU .. DAN03REV

Yup, got one in my XP and no leaks....

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP has come out with an updated oil tank that has better threads. I changed mine last week and don't seem to have any leaks so far. I think the parts were around $100 or so and it took about 2 hours to do.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is leaking to but I think the opening is oblonged,I was told they were cover by warrenty?

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaking??? Fog...i can barely ever get mine off. Are you meaning when you roll it over or all the time. I have not had this issue, but holy crap does it get tight.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Mine is leaking to but I think the opening is oblonged,I was told they were cover by warrenty?

They were.. not any more. They 08 Oil tank number changes into the 09 oil talk. Its made out of a different plastic that doesnt warp. The true fix is putting the 09 tank on your 08.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look at the threads of the oil tank, the 2008 models have partial threads (2 flat spots), not sure why they did this... I brought mine in for a warranty claim, and they replaced it with a 2009 tank which has full threads 360 degrees around the opening. no more leaks.

What happens with the 2008's is that if you over-tighten the cap, it ovalizes the opening, and the slack fills in the area that has no threads... (hope this makes sense.). You also run the risk of cross-threading the cap on it also.

YRED4FUN

Reaction score
Hi Maxwell
Rgarding your recommendation to swith the oilcap with the gas cap, is this as well as using the insert from Dan?

DAN03REV

Reaction score
this is DAN from DOOtalk .. just got a message from a member on here .. didnt know this site existed .. here is a link to my topics over on DOOTalk >> ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com or ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com .. i have inserts for DOO, POLARIS, and ARCTIC CAT .. the new CATs are leaking bad according to guys over on SNOWEST .. i have been selling these for 5 years now .. i ship within 24 hrs of payment received .. all USPS MAIL .. i have many dealers across the USA and some in CANADA (British Columbia and Nova Scotia) .. i am on the computer most the night and will answer and questions or concerns .. i would say 99% of the guys i have dealt with are thrilled to finally have the leak fixed .. drop me an email at DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE!!!!!I thought I only had a leaking oil cap, and later found out that I required a new engine in my 08 XP. It didn't leak much, I always had oil in my reservoir, and only had a couple trips or days riding like this, and then find out I needed a new engine.
I still have questions on this and my $ 2400 later, on if I was hosed or not, especially since I thought warranty should have covered this.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE!!!!!I thought I only had a leaking oil cap, and later found out that I required a new engine in my 08 XP. It didn't leak much, I always had oil in my reservoir, and only had a couple trips or days riding like this, and then find out I needed a new engine.
I still have questions on this and my $ 2400 later, on if I was hosed or not, especially since I thought warranty should have covered this.

You lost me. What exactly happened?

Top Bottom