xp iso grease question

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I have grease behind my clutch on my 08 xp. I am going to replace the seal and add iso grease. What the question is can anyone tell me how to add grease to the flywheel side? I searched all I could find, and I thought I read you can remove a bolt on the flywheel side (case bolt?)and inject with a shringe? Which bolt is it and does anyone have a pic of it?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clutch side is what usually piles up, personaly I have not seen the mag side fail. If you have grease weeping out I would definatly have a new shot put in with a new seal also.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to do this with the engine in the sled? what are the steps to doing this?

i know mine has leaked from day one.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to do this with the engine in the sled? what are the steps to doing this?

i know mine has leaked from day one.

If your talking about the clutch side its easy in the sled. Just pull the primary and there is four screws holding the seal cover, take them out and pull the seal out- put new seal in.

My question was what to do with the mag side?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read on dootalk a while back about a bolt hole in behind the stator that you can access the mag side bearing from, for some reason I think it was only on the series 3 800, and not on the R. maybe do a search on there and see if you can find it.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read on dootalk a while back about a bolt hole in behind the stator that you can access the mag side bearing from, for some reason I think it was only on the series 3 800, and not on the R. maybe do a search on there and see if you can find it.

Thanks I tried that before I started this thread the only thing I found said "bolt on mag side" I need a little more info than that LOL. I'll keep trying. My motors on the floor tonight so I have a look tomorrow if I can find anything. Got to have it together for Wed so I might just Doo the pto seal and call it a day?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I tried that before I started this thread the only thing I found said "bolt on mag side" I need a little more info than that LOL. I'll keep trying. My motors on the floor tonight so I have a look tomorrow if I can find anything. Got to have it together for Wed so I might just Doo the pto seal and call it a day?
that's the side that goes in them usually. I think that excessive clutch heat is a seal killer, when I first rode my '08, spit would sizzle on the primary and belts lasted 60 miles. I check behind the primary religiously for signs of grease coming out, if you see it....tick tock

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the motors on the floor already I'd split it and do the seal properly. This gives you a chance to check all the bearings and put new grease in.
How many K' on motor?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the motors on the floor already I'd split it and do the seal properly. This gives you a chance to check all the bearings and put new grease in.
How many K' on motor?

1500 km on the motor. Its on the floor because I smoked a rock and have to change the E & S modules. When I pulled the primary it had grease on the seal cover.

I hope its not tick tock:nono: I got 750 km on my belt and it still looks good. RB clutch kit and vented.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seal starts to spit grease when bearings on pto side get hot lose lubericity from grease and cause radial play in the bearing. As the engine is running it is loading and unloading the crank. Check for excessive run out on pto side.

and just do what everybody has suggested split it and take a look. It is a Bomb and the cranks do/did have problems with the grease system
just my 2 cents

and Yes i own one 2

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did the pto seal and isoflex repack tonite on the '04 800 summitx....the seal wasn't leaking, but the bearing looked pretty dry...

Didn't do the Mag side?
I got my seal and my $60 tube of grease WTF oh well I would probably just waste $ it anyway:p

Now putting it back in I notice the oil ing cable is frayed Hope I can get one Mon trying to leave Wed:beer::mad::beer: another $100

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
didn't do the mag side?
I got my seal and my $60 tube of grease wtf oh well i would probably just waste $ it anyway:p

now putting it back in i notice the oil ing cable is frayed hope i can get one mon trying to leave wed:beer::mad::beer: Another $100

i got the isoflex from specialty, instead of bombardier..... It was only $30 or so...... 1/2 the price of the dealer....... Only the clutch side really needs it, due to the heat from the clutch, the grease brreaks down quicker than the mag side............

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so when you guys are putting the grease in you do know that there are 2 bearings here and unless you are squeezing like a mot#%r f@#!er that back bearing is getting little or none of the new grease. This is why it is recomemded to pull it down to check it. and you can regrease both bearings properly

Also are you sealing the engine and pressure testing it after your seal removal. The proper way to remove and install the seal is to split the case as the seal does have a raised ridge lip that holds it in place.

if you dont pressure test it you could end up with a air leak causing a lean failure. that would suck deep back in the bush:eek:

nielsy

Reaction score
I would take it apart. what i have seen was crank being out as far as 18 thou so check for trueness

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its hard to rip into it with just 1500 km. I was kind of waiting for the 2500 km for a rebuild and a BIG BORE. Plus I was planning a trip for this Wed and didn't know about the grease till I cleaned the clutch I don't want to miss a trip:( It will suck if it blows up though:confused:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much grease has been puked out? If it's a small amount just change the seal.
Before you do anything, put a dial on the end and check the runout. That may make your decison for you.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much grease has been puked out? If it's a small amount just change the seal.
Before you do anything, put a dial on the end and check the runout. That may make your decison for you.

The plate covering the seal was wet/covered not super thick very little on the case or clutch.

I'm leaning toward put the seal in and hope for the best. With my $66 for 50ml of magical grease what could go wrong:p

I don't have the tool for the run out.

Top Bottom