XP clutching help

doomanstu

Reaction score
I'm going out to Valemount mid December and am trying to set up my '09 Renegade to handle all that snow out there. I am thinking about stretching it to a 146"x2.25" with 21/45 gears. How should I be clutching it? Should I just set it up like the stock Summit 146" is, or any better suggestions? Looking for something simple so can easily change back for riding the flatland. Hoping to just do a spring and pin weight change or something like that.
Was going to just install the 1.75"x137" Challenger so could use it around home as well, but after seeing some pics from this year I think I will need the extra rubber beneath me.:d
Any help is appreciated.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
146 x 2.25 will work excellent you will be very happy and probly not change it back for flatland riding. also leave the clutching. buy a set of quick adjusting clickers for your clutch and you will have to adjust them to peg your rated rpm at elevation. might want to consider a 20 or 19/45 but i think 21 will work since you mostly ride flat.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Everyone has their opinion but I would go with a track upgrade and convert your renegade to a back country with the 1.75" track. My old 2004 renegade had the 136x15x1.75 and it worked great. The 16 wide will act like a 144 anyway. Leave your gearing or drop one tooth on top, add quick clickers and set to 5 at 6000' and ride. Back In the prairies, just click back to 3 and go.....

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are on clicker 3 or higher in deep snow in Manitoba then you will need to change your clutch around a bit because there won't be enough adjustment for higher elevation deep snow riding. If you go with a 1.75'' track then go to 23/45 gears. This is what I would go with. You don't need a 146'' in Manitoba so why have a sled that only works for one trip a year.

doomanstu

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ya I took my '05 Gade with the 1.75"x16" wide challenger to mountains in Idaho/Montana a few years back and it did surprisingly well in some very deep powder. I plan to make two trips out west this year and want to make sure I have enough track to get around. I tend to ride hills areas with more snow back here at home so could get away with the 146", but could swap back to the 137"x1.25" if we don't get much snow, which is the way it is looking right now. A bunch of my friends ride RMK's out here with 2" lug or more and seem to get away with it.
Right now it will depend on what kind of price I can find a 146" track for. If I go with the 137"x1.75" I was planning on going with 23/45 gears.
If I went with that Challenger track and one of my buddies out performs/climbs me out west with their 600 rmk I would be pissed that I didn't go with the 146"! Drives me nuts when one of them goes somewhere that I can't, only because I'm lacking track.
I am thinking I'm going to need to do a spring and pin weight change to perform properly at elevation and with more track as this is what I did with my '05 Rev and it worked perfect.
Any more thoughts?

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geared Mine down a bit, 137x16 go mountain riding regularly put her on #5 let it rip, ask "miss piggy" how it works lol.

Top Bottom