XP 800 Pipe Y Pipe issue

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 800 XP 154 Summit
Have about 1000 miles on it and I just put a SLP Y Pipe & Pipe on this past week and noticed a problem issue with the performance of the sled
It acts almost like it is either running out of fuel or missing at full throttle
and it is down in power at wide open
in stock form it pulled hard The other thing I noticed is I had to go up 2 on the clickers to pull 8100 so it tells me I have lots power I was running in the 4 spot and had to run in 6 all weekend
Does anyone know if you should change the needle position?

Any ideas would be most helpful and appreciated

birdie

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may be a problem with the pipe. I have seen this before. I used a crankshop pipe and it did the same thing then put the stock one back on and it was fine. I put it on a buddies sled and it worked good. Good luck with that.

Have about 1000 miles on it and I just put a SLP Y Pipe & Pipe on this past week and noticed a problem issue with the performance of the sled
It acts almost like it is either running out of fuel or missing at full throttle
in stock form it pulled hard The other thing I noticed is I had to go up 2 on the clickers to pull 8100 so it tells me I have lots power I was running in the 4 spot and had to run in 6 all weekend

birdie

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

birdie
I had the same problem with the slp system had to go back to stock, got tired of spending money on my sled trying to get the pipe to work. Currently running the stock pipe. try the stock pipe again before spending money trying to get it to work, don't make my mistake.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

birdie

My son put the same pipe and Y pipe on his 08 XP and is working awesome, engine is more responsive and would pull harder than my 09 XP. He did not use the can that came with the kit, he previously had a MBRP can and is useing that. I believe we also had to change the primary spring to one with a higher finish rate.I wouldnt change needle position as both of us run EGT gauges and they run clean (1200*F)in the midrange.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i have the full slp combo on one of the xps and it pulls way harder than stock. especially midrange up. i knew it was working because i had to clicker down 2

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys

I am going to go back to stock and see if this is the issue
Weird eh why it works on some and not on others

birdie:d

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well took it off and put it back to stock and it works great

I then phoned straightline performance and the tech there said throw
big weight at the clutch like 22-24 grams and it will work so I put it back on
yes it does work but it is very fussy with the clicker number it is in

If in the 1 spot it still misses and then when I put it in the 4 spot it works great

Just debating if I want to leave it this way and see how she does in the hills

Any ideas
birdie

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22-24 grm pin weight???? geez good luck trying to pull that, it wont happen in the mountains. had a slp combo also didnt work either, had to almost give it away, my dynoport works awesome.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dynoport y and single with the thing can is a very noticable difference over stock ,i am currently on clicker 2 ,down from 4..and DJs kit helped out a lot , also on team no snow flap biatch..

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
I am having the troubles i had my 08 154 800 xp out yesterday here is what i have done to crank shop pipe & y pipe mbrp can v forse reed joes mountion ramp solid pins with 20.4 grams in them joes helix 2 x 2'' flow rites in the back of the air box like i said had her out yesterday & the same thing it happening to me i had it on clicker 4 it was pulling hard at 8250 to 8300 but after you go for 1000 feet or so the rpms would drop back to 7600 if you let off & hit it again it would hit 8300 again & back off again i put it on clicker 5 it would hit 8500 & back off to 7800 i put it on clicker # 6 it would hit 8650 or so & back off to 8000 i am riding at 2300 feet i don't have the stock pipe with me when i get home i will install it & try it also the guy i bought the pipe from said that crank shop & dyno port are the same pipe i don't think so any info would be great

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you don't wanna be hittin 8500,for sure.try taking out the slugs you have in the pins,i run the smallest one (about a 1/4 ")and she has no issues at all.

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
But do you have joes ramps & helix because if your stock that would be the case because his ramps & spring makes a big diff i will put the stock pipe back on & try it if that doen't fix it i with weight for the hills at 15.3 grams & try it on cliker # 1 i taked to joe last week he told me to run that much weight at 2300 feet like i said it pulls hard just drops off on the top end if there was to much weight in it there she wouldn't pull it at all just my 2 cents worth thanks

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a dynoport y and single with the thing can,timbersled cold air intake,dj's full kit,lotsa venting,and soon to be belt drive.with a few other goodies and i run my primary on clicker 2 all the way up to 7000 ft.before i put in dj's kit i was having similar issues,except it was when i would let off the throttle and get back into it ,it would take 5-10 seconds to get back up to 8200.Have you taken off the black plastic shroud on your belt gaurd?Could be cooking your belt,and loosing alot of power.I've got mine off and then drilled probably 60, 1/2 "holes in aluminum gaurd,and still on the same belt all year with no sign's of wear.1400 km's already this year.

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
Ya i got the plastic gaurd off & i have three screens on each side plus 3 x 3'' flow rites on the clutch side she runns cool i think it is the pipe

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20.5g is waaaay too much weight for Joe's ramps. I believe he recommends starting at 15.9g....

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up with stock pipe back on and left y pipe on and have 15 grams
441 ramps and works great

Those pipes are no better and maybe worse than stock

birdie

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe we should be talking about elevation here. where are you riding the machine at.

because from my testing the slp stuff works. at 6000-8000ft.......where the summit is designed to be ran aswell as that exhaust system.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe we should be talking about elevation here. where are you riding the machine at.

because from my testing the slp stuff works. at 6000-8000ft.......where the summit is designed to be ran aswell as that exhaust system.

He's not running slp. he's running straightline performance.

Top Bottom