XM skis and carbides

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at the bottom of my skis and once again my carbides are bent and worn through after replacing them last year (800km at most on them)

My guess is because the slot the carbide sits in is worn off on both sides, as soon as i hit a rock the carbide bends outwards due to no support and then wears prematurely.

Other then that the skis seem good to go.

My questions is, has anyone re-groved their ski so the carbide sits back in a slot for support and what carbide are you using for mountain riding. My dealer sold me a set of expeditions but i am not so sure about them.

I do a spring ride each year that includes a lot of gravel and rock on the trail which i where im sure it all go wrong.

Ill try and upload some pictures of the bottom of my skis by tomorrow....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wore holes through my DS2's and went through 3 sets of runners last year. The tips and tails of the runners kept getting caught and then bending so I recessed them back into the skis with a die grinder and carbide bit. I don't run carbides because they kill my ramp, deck and concrete garage. I switched to hard weld bars this season and they seem better after a couple rides of catching rocks and gravel.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue but I switched to grippers. I run just the cheap kimpex wear bars because as mentioned they score everything up.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toss those carbides in a drawer, get yourself some harden steel ones or grind those carbides down. Don’t need them as a mountain rider most of the time. Stop riding in the gravel...

Top Bottom