Xm or pro? Why

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a serious question.. for those who have rode the T3 174 or peeps who have put a 174 3" on a different sled. Do you lose anything for flotation and when you do get stuck is it a mofo to get out? I noticed last year I was on a 162" and when i planted it it was harder for me to roll out of my crater or ski pull out than when I was on my 155. I haven't rode a 174 so I have no reference point. Oo also in the trees is there an advantage or disadvantage with the longer track length? I'm super curious and do want to try out a 174.
Floatation advantage yes but depends on snow types. On spring snow you fight a 174 a lot more, that's the drawback of just having more rubber on the road when the snow is deeper. More steering effort and more pull over effort. Working with the limiters or front suspension arm and rear arm balance can help lighten your steering effort, its about changing that weight transfer balance. I've never found any real difference in ski pulling out the different track lengths, more on how deep the operator put it in..... :)

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a serious question.. for those who have rode the T3 174 or peeps who have put a 174 3" on a different sled. Do you lose anything for flotation and when you do get stuck is it a mofo to get out? I noticed last year I was on a 162" and when i planted it it was harder for me to roll out of my crater or ski pull out than when I was on my 155. I haven't rode a 174 so I have no reference point. Oo also in the trees is there an advantage or disadvantage with the longer track length? I'm super curious and do want to try out a 174.
Are you comparing a 155 Pro to a 162 Cat? Or like for like? Just the brand difference will have an effect when it comes to the ski pull, as the Pro certainly gets on the snow better than the cat. I rode a cat (162 Proclimb) for a day 2 seasons ago and found that I got stuck more easily, in situations that I wouldn't on my 155 Pro, such as starting from a stop on a slight incline.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be riding my 13 XM again this year. ( 3rd season ) If BRP refuses to provide a little more power from the 800E-Tec and the Pro offers a 3" lug on the 2016's. I will switch to the Pro next season.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both xm and pro.
Pro is better for me, wife loves XM.
I think PRO gives more muscular kinda aggressive ride, XM better for females. Smooth, more easy to steer, and looks kinda POSH to me, lol

mctrailboss

Reaction score
174 T3 I 576 lbs dry!!!!!!!!!! Ya I do know. Be like doubling your sweetie on a stock 163.

Don't get all hung up on dry weight. Theres a lot more to the equation. If you don't believe me try to follow a stock 174T3 with a good pilot on your stock anything. I have seen a lot of polaris' being pulled out last year because of the dry weight. (not enough meat on their hollow bones). I am sure there will be a lot of opposite comments but I ride with mostly skidoos and last year saw way too many polaris getting pulled out and only one skidoo. just my 2 cents.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get all hung up on dry weight. Theres a lot more to the equation. If you don't believe me try to follow a stock 174T3 with a good pilot on your stock anything. I have seen a lot of polaris' being pulled out last year because of the dry weight. (not enough meat on their hollow bones). I am sure there will be a lot of opposite comments but I ride with mostly skidoos and last year saw way too many polaris getting pulled out and only one skidoo. just my 2 cents.
100% agree

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dry weight is a huge factor, if the Pro had the etec HP, Freddie you'd be on one too. Cause lesser weight with same HP is just more fun, hard to debate that. You should cut down on the mc fries and happy meals, it's clouding your vision. Lol.

jonsnow

Reaction score
If the pro had Etec power ,but it doesn't. For a smaller guy the pro is great, but for a bigger guy not enough bones.
Dry weight is a huge factor, if the Pro had the etec HP, Freddie you'd be on one too. Cause lesser weight with same HP is just more fun, hard to debate that. You should cut down on the mc fries and happy meals, it's clouding your vision. Lol.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the pro had Etec power ,but it doesn't. For a smaller guy the pro is great, but for a bigger guy not enough bones.

Sorry , jonsnow, I disagree, if the Pro had the same inefficient clutch and extra weight the Doo has , it would suck. But with the far better transfer of the available power to the snow, and substantially less weight we've seen over and over they are really close , edge to the Doo in climbing in powder, but that's about it . And we have a very large competitive group , lots of them are quite brand loyal, we ride the same snow together all the time and any opinions that are offered honestly from any of them , the 10-15 HP edge the Doo has , is certainly lost somewhere before it gets to the snow. Imagine though if It remains the same, and thenPro gets another 10-15 HP, then , no contest.
And no I don't have a Pro any more.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry , jonsnow, I disagree, if the Pro had the same inefficient clutch and extra weight the Doo has , it would suck. But with the far better transfer of the available power to the snow, and substantially less weight we've seen over and over they are really close , edge to the Doo in climbing in powder, but that's about it . And we have a very large competitive group , lots of them are quite brand loyal, we ride the same snow together all the time and any opinions that are offered honestly from any of them , the 10-15 HP edge the Doo has , is certainly lost somewhere before it gets to the snow. Imagine though if It remains the same, and thenPro gets another 10-15 HP, then , no contest.

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut but I just can't! You know Lenny there is more to riding than poking at big hills. Where the xm really shines over the pro is in the tight steep deep trees. It's ability to make slow movements through the trees. Stop and point it up hill and continue on is unmatched. There is no stopping or slowing with the pro you need to keep that thing moving or you are SOL. I know now your going to make some comment about my riding ability and why I have to go slow through the trees but reality is when your pushing the limits of your machine into new territory it's the way it goes. I don't expect you to understand though because it's clear by your posts discovering new areas to you means poking at the same hill all day until you break over the top only to ride down the backside and high five all your buddies. Sounds hard I'm sure the pro rmk works GREAT for that

jonsnow

Reaction score
I agree that power to weight , these machines are very close and they will trade tracks all day long. But as a rider 225 pounds without gear I don't believe that the poo is built strong enough to last with my weight. And never mind the longevity of the motor which I believe I has none. I buy a machine every four years and would like I to last that long. When I am done with it I would also like decent resale. Would never happen with the poo.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to keep my mouth shut but I just can't! You know Lenny there is more to riding than poking at big hills. Where the xm really shines over the pro is in the tight steep deep trees. It's ability to make slow movements through the trees. Stop and point it up hill and continue on is unmatched. There is no stopping or slowing with the pro you need to keep that thing moving or you are SOL. I know now your going to make some comment about my riding ability and why I have to go slow through the trees but reality is when your pushing the limits of your machine into new territory it's the way it goes. I don't expect you to understand though because it's clear by your posts discovering new areas to you means poking at the same hill all day until you break over the top only to ride down the backside and high five all your buddies. Sounds hard I'm sure the pro rmk works GREAT for that

Haha, No I'm sure your riding skills are fine, but your description of the comparison moving slowly in deep snow is a total crock. We r all aware that you convinced yourself that its fact, and that's fine, we all have to justify our choices somehow, you by insisting loud and long that what you choose is best for everyone. Nope, yours isn't always best, but yes, you are usually the loudest. You're like the kid who can't ever do anything without insisting that everyone watch him and cheer, no matter what the result. LOL. Insecurity is a tough thing to grow out of.
The only ones who will give credence to your skewed explanation of performance comparisons are the Doo-Tards who would shout hurray and ride a barrel (somewhat similar in shape) if it had Doo on the side.
2 great sleds in my opinion, either would be a good choice for people who like the deep snow, all aspects. Similar in lots of ways, different in lots of ways. Saying one is markedly better, Is bull$hit plain and simple. It's your ego talking, not facts ! Or your riding buddies on the Pro's are totally incompetent.

Ok, snopro next , But be gentle !

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking a 174 Doo over a 163 Pro again, or same track length? I have no problems taking my 155 Pro through the tress slowly, and stopping in the tress. I would like a 63 (not even sure what brand yet) for my next sled, so that I can slow things down just a touch more in the trees. The Doo may have a slight advantage in uphill starting due to the extra power.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that power to weight , these machines are very close and they will trade tracks all day long. But as a rider 225 pounds without gear I don't believe that the poo is built strong enough to last with my weight. And never mind the longevity of the motor which I believe I has none. I buy a machine every four years and would like I to last that long. When I am done with it I would also like decent resale. Would never happen with the poo.

My experience was different , had 2 Pros, an 11 put 3000 ish miles on it, tried 2 different heads , SLP pipe and controller, Camo track, ran it hard, no issues, put in new pistons $500 ish , sold into a buddy for a fair price now has about 5000 miles still going, touch wood. Also a 13 Pro , 174, I know , weird eh before Doo made it famous LOL, bone stock, sold it very happy with price , buyer boosted it and as far as I know, it's still working very well.
In both cases , I paid substantially less than I would have for a comparable Doo and sold them for a price relative to purchase price. Awesome sleds , super easy to ride, they flat out work right out of the box.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking a 174 Doo over a 163 Pro again, or same track length? I have no problems taking my 155 Pro through the tress slowly, and stopping in the tress. I would like a 63 (not even sure what brand yet) for my next sled, so that I can slow things down just a touch more in the trees. The Doo may have a slight advantage in uphill starting due to the extra power.

I'm talking 163. My 2 days I spent on the 174 was in marginal snow conditions so I'm not going to go around comparing that just yet until I hit the snow with mine. Your right you won't have a problem at all on the pro rmk i ride with lots of them but there is a slight edge to the doo in those situations for sure the power helps but also 1" wider track and slightly deeper lugs.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking 163. My 2 days I spent on the 174 was in marginal snow conditions so I'm not going to go around comparing that just yet until I hit the snow with mine. Your right you won't have a problem at all on the pro rmk i ride with lots of them but there is a slight edge to the doo in those situations for sure the power helps but also 1" wider track and slightly deeper lugs.
That's more like it Maxwell! I'd give a slight edge to the Doo because of the power, but I wouldn't say it really shines over the Pro. Both great sleds, and our group always consists of a mixture of both sleds, aren't too many places one sled can get without the other following, and usually when someone does disappear it is because they are the better rider! Love to see the addition of a stock 174 by Doo, as it will push others to follow suit, and I can't wait to see what next year's Polaris will be like with that new engine. However, I may be leaning towards a Viper as my next sled. Reliable boost power is very tempting.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, No I'm sure your riding skills are fine, but your description of the comparison moving slowly in deep snow is a total crock. We r all aware that you convinced yourself that its fact, and that's fine, we all have to justify our choices somehow, you by insisting loud and long that what you choose is best for everyone. Nope, yours isn't always best, but yes, you are usually the loudest. You're like the kid who can't ever do anything without insisting that everyone watch him and cheer, no matter what the result. LOL. Insecurity is a tough thing to grow out of.
The only ones who will give credence to your skewed explanation of performance comparisons are the Doo-Tards who would shout hurray and ride a barrel (somewhat similar in shape) if it had Doo on the side.
2 great sleds in my opinion, either would be a good choice for people who like the deep snow, all aspects. Similar in lots of ways, different in lots of ways. Saying one is markedly better, Is bull$hit plain and simple. It's your ego talking, not facts ! Or your riding buddies on the Pro's are totally incompetent.

Ok, snopro next , But be gentle !

I would like to know more about us all having to justify our choices? I buy whatever the **** I want. I don't need a reason.
Or are you talking about your Mommy controlling your allowance and you have to justify to her what you are buying?

Top Bottom