XM Major breakdowns what broke and why?

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was broke as well I found it out before I left the shop , they put a new pump and lines on for me

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it that common? Looks like I'm doing some investigating tomorrow in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using

i dont know how common or if maybe Doo knows what serial numbers could be effected. Ours was a late build 163 SP.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was a early build 154 lol .... I guess a kid moving a pallet of oil pumps with a forklift is what caused all this the pallet fell off the forklift

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is 79

Now u got me worried

sent while I should be drinking tea's

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Had the left hand handle bar warmer shorted out.
Was heading down boulder threw the trees on another shortcut and could fell my palm getting the odd sharp pain.
After getting to the parking lot, discovered my glove was melted and there was a small hole in the grip.
Turned it on the next day and watched the smoke rise off the grip and bars and then poof! No more heated grip.
My right hand grip and thumb warmer still worked.
Replaced on warranty.
Damn those grips get hot. but they seem to not be very consistent. Either smoking hot or mildly warm.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rave cover melted just like on my 2013. I pulled it off and one of my rave nutz was missing. The other one was almost falling off too. Tightened The raves up again and Now the sled is lazy and doesn't pull hard. I took it in to have the raves synced. My 2013 I sold cause of very inconsistent rpm. Bought a 14 and its the same. All the others in my group rock but mine is a dog. I hope this rave thing works or I am the owner of another weak xm.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coating on my pipe is flaking off. When I touch it with my finger it just scratches off. Anyone else having this happen?

My Polaris did the same thing. Do you burn more fuel than anyone in your group ? I'm my case it's too much WFO.

mastin

Reaction score
Fuel pump went at about 1000 km. Took everyone a while to figure it out but finally got it. Would run good till got warm then lose rpm's, if you shut down then restart would be good for a little bit then repeat.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the left hand handle bar warmer shorted out.
Was heading down boulder threw the trees on another shortcut and could fell my palm getting the odd sharp pain.
After getting to the parking lot, discovered my glove was melted and there was a small hole in the grip.
Turned it on the next day and watched the smoke rise off the grip and bars and then poof! No more heated grip.
My right hand grip and thumb warmer still worked.
Replaced on warranty.
Damn those grips get hot. but they seem to not be very consistent. Either smoking hot or mildly warm.
Had same issue. Little hole in grip and no hand warmer. Recoil let go, and that is all after 2000 km`s. My dimmer switch fell off and that cost me 250 bucks not covered under warranty.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in another thread, but there is a issue with the oil lines breaking off the oil pump, under the oil reservoir.
This is a 14 etec only problem and Doo is aware of it. Dealers are supposed to tug on the lines at the pump during PDI. I would check your sled yourself, you may need to pull the air box and possibly carb boots to get to it....I don't remember for sure what it takes to actually be able to pull on the pump lines, its tight in there.
Our new 14 made it 20 miles and seized up solid. This has happened on several sleds.
First trip of the year ,back in November, we had a brand new 14 XM with us in the Renshaw. 37 kms-oil all over the engine compartment, seized engine. On the wrong side of the mountain of course. Dealer was aware of the problem and had a new engine waiting for us when we got there. Dealer replaced the hood that got a rope burn on it and a taillight that we broke on the anchor sled also.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never understood this but the weak point is still the thinest point on the rail even on the ice age. must have to do with suspension travel as thats where the rear arm collapses too. i didnt know they were made from a stronger material though. good to know.

Just finished putting these rails on my sons 07-RKT860. went from a 151 to a 156-3 in. Very nice rails! $700.

Last edited:

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm maybe should have looked at these.

oh well i think the regular ones should be plenty strong enough. they have a 1 year warranty as well on them.

just waiting on them to get made. ordered 2 sets anodized black one for me and one for my brother.

def wont be cheap by the time i do exchange rate and get them shipped up here via UPS....i really wish they would ship USPS...oh well.
just got my rails in by usps...no duty to pay or tax..really happy bout that

duggyb

Reaction score
Because of your post stating that you got it shipped via USPS I called ice age and gave the guy on the phone a hard time. Because there Web site specifically states they will not and then I found out you got them shipped that way I was pretty unhappy. When I called him on it he said "oh ya we should change our website" he was a great guy to deal with and they ended up taking the $142, minus the GST of $51(because I expect to pay that) and then split the remaining $91 with me. They also have now changed the website which is what I was really happy to see, so future customers don't get screwed by the UPS man like myself.

I am experienced in shipping things from the USA and NEVER use UPS unless absolutely necessary like I thought in this case.

Very happy with the product and the fact they stepped up to the plate. Will buy again.

Last edited:

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right on duggy,iceage really stepped up for you,was hesitant to order due to their policy on the site,decided to call and ask for a one time favour to break the policy and use usps,the only problem with usps is that it can be slower with customs and then customers are calling back to iceage about the delay,so i understand their point a bit..

Top Bottom