XM Major breakdowns what broke and why?

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering who has had a major breakdown on there XM. How many kms were on them and what happened. Did they leave you stranded?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of 5 Xms in my group we have only had one failure so far. All sleds are 1500-3500km. The one failure was a rear t motion linkage broke @ 1300km on an extremely whooped out trail. Didn't leave us stranded and other than that nothing. Quite amazing knock on wood. Haven't even blown a belt yet

na8a9ujy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I have a broken carburator.;) We road trails and some climbing for 5 hours and I still have over half a tank of fuel.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my oil pump nipple break off at 0 miles lol I caught it at the dealer ship before I loaded it up

xmsummit154

Reaction score
I think I have a broken carburator.;) We road trails and some climbing for 5 hours and I still have over half a tank of fuel.

Isn't that awesome I have been very impressed with the fuel and oil consumption or lack of I guess lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk I burn a full tank every day in my freeride and buy oil by the case?? I must have got a defective one...lol

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etech will sip fuel when taking it easy but burn it just like the rest of them when they are being worked. I had a guy tell me I will never need my jerry can. Started at 9 on saturday as burnt my tank and jerry can by about 2.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Quick pic of what I did to try and prevent the T motion failure Not sure if it will work but it can't hurt I figure.

Attachments

• IMG_00000191.jpg
    IMG_00000191.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_00000192.jpg
    IMG_00000192.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 953

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Estart Broke off the mount. Fuel pump on my 2013 lost pressure and barely rode me out. Had a constant check engine for improper rave valve closing code. Never needed a tow yet. Over 7000 km total since I went etec. Belts between 5-700 km which isn't that great. Love my xm's and now I need more seat time to see if my recent clutching changes are for the better.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two guys had t-motion brackets go on a bumpy trail over the holidays
Over Christmas I rode eagles 3 days in a row. Trail was pounded and I rode flat out over the bumps. No t motion issues yet. I guess I should look close at mine for damage.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddy had an axle bolt back out. I rode down and we pulled my parts off of mine and had another guy run them back up to him. Installed them on the trail so he could ride out!

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we have 3 2013 xm etecs. I checked rear axle bolts and they were all loose. They all have the conical washers. I pulled them out and applied lots of loctite. Hopefully they stay tight now. There are a few more people saying the same thing so it might be a good idea to check yours.

Hydro

Reaction score
Checked the rear axle bolts on my new XM (260 km's over 5 rides); they were finger tight. Will be pulling them and applying locktite liberally. May want to put a couple of 5/8" wrenches in your tool pack in case you need to tighten them up on the hill.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
This thread is sad. Where is the engine failures? Clutch explosions? Fires?

Careful what you wish for, however the headline in this thread is still the fact that flat rate PDI's do not address the needs of the consumer. Snowmobile riders have an expectation ( albeit small) to trust the craftsmanship of reputable dealers. Two days ago a sled hit my area and the spark plugs were hand tight.. It not that it takes long to repair or that it isn't part of the sport to maintain equipment. The real issues come along when it may be medial in nature but goes unnoticed and real damage occurs. Then i get all molly pissy pants.

And can we agree this isn't a one off issue

Atraz

Reaction score
Had a drop bracket snap and bent my running board down which pulled out my tunnel. It was a compression from a creek I had to suck up. Nothing major. I'm a pretty rookie rider and I rode out of it thinking I was lucky I didn't eat it over the bars. Never would have guessed it did some mega mangling to the machine. Super disappointed!! BRP told me it was not from normal riding. I think it was just too expensive to warranty so they deaked out. My dealer said the guy that sold it too me must have jumped it and landed it sideways although he did "send it in for warranty approval". Guy I bought it from said he could guarantee the drop bracket wasn't weakened when he owned it because "the skid never left the ground" and I believe him since the machine didn't have a single tiny scuff on it (absolutely mint) after the 500 km he put on it on Saskatchewan trails. I'd have to recommend the drop bracket reinforcements.

Top Bottom