XM clutching

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2

Never had much luck with "clutch kits" until I bought a rooster built for my 2010. Very very happy with it. These guys ride what they sell, and if there are no gains to be had they will tell you that.

I really liked my roosterbuilt kit in my 09.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Raising the clicker position above 4 will increase your peak rpm but only because of added slip. Your clutches will get hotter and you will not gain any track speed. If you are running above clicker 4 you need to adjust pin weight or spring force.
If you hit the throttle and hold it wide open you will see your peak rpm. If under load (pulling a hill) and your rpm's start to fall off your clutching needs work. Raising your clicker number will only increase your peak rpm it will not help rpm fade much unless you are not getting your target peak rpm to start with.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting belt slipping and black marks on my primary ...was wondering if it could be moisture causing it!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting belt slipping and black marks on my primary ...was wondering if it could be moisture causing it!!

It's a very good possibility. Steam in the engine compartment is not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked my clutches today before I went riding and found they were black from slipping (hit the rev limiter twice) while playing in the deep.
I don't doubt a combo of snow dust and steam were the cause.
Installed the screen kit today and found a huge block of ice under the pipe when I pulled the hood off. Hopefully this stops that.

Champagne powder

Reaction score
Raising the clicker position above 4 will increase your peak rpm but only because of added slip.

Clickers
"Changes TRA ramp angle" Ramp profile controls the size/magnitude of the shift force.
Determines how quickly the engine will rev/accelerate.
Clicker 6 raises ramp angle to highest point - Quickest engine response
clicker 1 lowers ramp angle to lowest point - Slowest engine response

Each clicker change is between 150-200 rpms. increase clicker increase rpms. Decrease clicker decrease rpms

Thanks to Joe ibackshift.com

mtnrev

Reaction score
Clickers
"Changes TRA ramp angle" Ramp profile controls the size/magnitude of the shift force.

Each clicker change is between 150-200 rpms. increase clicker increase rpms. Decrease clicker decrease rpms

Exactly what Jack was implying but without adjusting pin weight or spring force you are going to get more belt slippage because you don't have enough belt squeeze

Last edited:

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, I am really confused after reading all those 5 pages. Anybody want to buy a steep and deep clutch kit. NIB.

slederite

Reaction score
Clickers

My 2012 freeride at WOT only pulls 7300 rpm. Changed the clicker up at notch and all it did was make it hit limiter.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2012 freeride at WOT only pulls 7300 rpm. Changed the clicker up at notch and all it did was make it hit limiter.

Would call b.s there.

U have to have clutch problems or something

Mabe can't count ??? 1.2.3.4.5.6

Cause one clicker is not....not... Over 1000 rpm..

from my HTC

slederite

Reaction score
Would call b.s there.

U have to have clutch problems or something

Mabe can't count ??? 1.2.3.4.5.6

Cause one clicker is not....not... Over 1000 rpm..

from my HTC
Don't think there's clutch problems as I bought it new non current. The rpms will go above 7300, however when at wot it will only turn at 7300.

Champagne powder

Reaction score

Try to give us some more info

Altitude

Clicker #

How do you know you are hitting rev limiter?

Are all your clickers in same position ( same number )?

Tex is right about probable clutch problems if that is happening.

Show us a pic of your primary & secondary sheaves.

If you don't know much about the clutches it's probably best to phone dealer.

slederite

Reaction score
Try to give us some more info

Altitude

Clicker #

How do you know you are hitting rev limiter?

Are all your clickers in same position ( same number )?

Tex is right about probable clutch problems if that is happening.

Show us a pic of your primary & secondary sheaves.

If you don't know much about the clutches it's probably best to phone dealer.
Altitude is 700
clickers are in position 1
When clickers are in higher positions and I get track spin message is displayed
Yes the clickers are all in the same pposition
guess I will phone dealer and see what's what.
Could it be the jets at the lower altitude?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My xm ran on no.3 in revy in waist deep powder all day long at 7900. Never moved up or down one bit? I was impressed with brp as the 1000 was nowhere close on clutching. Brp has been testing this sled for quite awhile with the likes of Rasmussen and Kuster. They did a good job of getting it! It may require a slight tweak here and there but in no way a whole clutch kit!! I spent money on so called clutch kits for 1000 and they all sitting in shop! They were way worse than stock. I tweaked my own stock clutching and it worked very well. Haven't got enough seat time on xm but by end of season will have a good handle on it.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Altitude is 700
clickers are in position 1
When clickers are in higher positions and I get track spin message is displayed
Yes the clickers are all in the same pposition
guess I will phone dealer and see what's what.
Could it be the jets at the lower altitude?
. Have you checked belt tension? It sounds like it maybe set a little to high!

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After 900 km I finally got around to "cleaning my clutches" (my compressor was out of commission)

I was surprised at how little belt dust blew out of the primary .. almost none !!! my rev with clutch work would blow a black cloud of dust after 2-3 rides .. I am impressed to the tits !

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ripping through the ditches in the heavy wet snow yesterday and when I got on the road and opened it up a few times I would hit 7700 and then it would fall to 7400. Elevation was 2900', clickers on 1. Back off the throttle and stab it again, same thing.
A couple days previous temps were about 10-15 degrees cooler and same elevation, same setting on clickers with lighter snow ripping across fields and the lake and was hitting 8000 and holding rpm no problem. Never had an issue with this in the mountains either.
Not sure if the heavy wet snow got things wet inside or not it was dark so never looked inside the engine area. I know the heavy snow will load it up more so peak rpm will be less but why would it hit whatever it's peak was and then start to fall off? And I'm talking flatland on a hard snow-packed road not climbing. I do have the screen kit on as well to prevent snow ingestion.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its on a hard packed road there is not enough load on the system. Same reason a mountain clutch setup won't hit rpm on a track stand. Needs the load of fresh snow on a slope.

Top Bottom