XM and premium with ethanol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I got a surprise when going over things in the shop…………...

IMG_1652.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo has made no secret they want 91 in there high end engines. They have also warned about to much ethanol. They are just advertizing that now on the fuel cap instead of just the operators manual.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just easier to say run up to %10 ethanol than to add in the power reducing plug like Polaris has for running ethanol fuel.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure chevron 94 is ethanol free . in BC anyway

that being said, I will look for an ethanol free 91 octane to run in the XM ..

Correct, BC is supposed to be the only place that Chevron's 94 is ethanol free.(is that true? A few years ago it was) Most other places they mix %10 Ethanol to the 91 to get the 94. Apparently in BC as long as the average of their fuels is %5 (could be wrong on that number) they can allow their 94 to be 0%. It is still considered a tier 1 fuel, like Shell V-power.

I still won't run Chevron fuel at the end of the day if it all possible. I try not to run any of the junk fuels in my sleds, in a pinch I will run Esso fuel. There used to be a website called Pure-gas. It listed all the non-ethanol gas stations. I guess it doesn't work anymore.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to ESSO website and there pumps there 91 is ethanol free

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct, BC is supposed to be the only place that Chevron's 94 is ethanol free.(is that true? A few years ago it was) Most other places they mix %10 Ethanol to the 91 to get the 94. Apparently in BC as long as the average of their fuels is %5 (could be wrong on that number) they can allow their 94 to be 0%. It is still considered a tier 1 fuel, like Shell V-power.

I still won't run Chevron fuel at the end of the day if it all possible. I try not to run any of the junk fuels in my sleds, in a pinch I will run Esso fuel. There used to be a website called Pure-gas. It listed all the non-ethanol gas stations. I guess it doesn't work anymore.

why do you say chevron gas is junk ?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you say chevron gas is junk ?

I choose not to run it whenever possible. I am not going to turn this into an all out battle over what fuels people like to run, what is a top tier fuel, and what isn't. There are enough threads on that already on their and every other forum. Do whatever research, or none at all on the fuels you want to run and be happy with it. There are enough people on this forum with a lot of experience in fuel refining that can provide lots of feedback. Chevron is a good fuel, but I will go out of my way to run something else.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I choose not to run it whenever possible. I am not going to turn this into an all out battle over what fuels people like to run, what is a top tier fuel, and what isn't. There are enough threads on that already on their and every other forum. Do whatever research, or none at all on the fuels you want to run and be happy with it. There are enough people on this forum with a lot of experience in fuel refining that can provide lots of feedback. Chevron is a good fuel, but I will go out of my way to run something else.

I second that.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you thinks better then.. I only run chevron 94 or shell 92 and have never had any fuel related issues..

Mr Husaberg

Reaction score
There is a possibility that the feds may mandate higher ethanol content so brp is covering the possibility with the warning. I doubt It will will happen now that they have found all the light tight oil but one can never underestimate the power of politics.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 800r always had the 10% ethanol rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I used to make a point of running Chevron when I lived in BC as it was one of the cleanest and ran the best in my vehicles/quads/boat that required higher octane.
Back in the mid '90's my Dad did a test on 4 different company cars that all had similar mileage and usage but switched drivers regularily and each car only ran fuel from it's own supplier-Shell, Chevron, Esso and Petro Can. They didn't try Husky because the powers that be wouldn't let them get a fuel card for there. The cars were all Crown Vic's under 20 000km when the test started.

The Shell was found to be the dirtiest when random samples and fuel tests were done and the car that ran it went through two fuel pumps in 120 000 km.
The Esso needed 1 pump at 70 000 and was found to have the highest water content in random tests.
The Petro Can and Chevron both were similar in all the random samples for water and contaminants.
Fuel consumption/liters used over the year was fairly close between all 4 and routine maintenance were about the same too regular filter changes etc. Not that this study means anything today but based on those results I ran Chevron. Each to his own and if I had a company fuel card I'd run whoever that was with in my sled so long as it wasn't Husky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom