Would you or have chipped your atv

Billydozer56

Reaction score
Hello there

I have a 2014 kingquad 750. I enjoy it Alot it works great for the riding I do. I saw this YouTube video about the vilocity chip for this quad. It cancels out the safty stuff. So I don't need to use the overide button while in reverse or have the diff locked up. That alone is a great feature. It says my quad will run cooler. Get 20% more power witch does not matter. From the factory suzuki does somthing so when you mash on the throttle it has a hesitation. It's not huge but it's there. It could be why these quads last a long time without major problems.

Anyway has anyone chipped there atv? Good idea? This chip can be switched on and off. Will this turn my quad into a time bomb? Would I be asking for trouble or are they harmless if I ride normal?

Cheers

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden with 2 king quads with the vdi installed in them ... Both ran like crap and had issues most of the time . That was my personal experience with these and the owners were not happy ....my 2 cents

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the vdi in my grizzly and it was good. I made my own maps though. The bypasses are nice but you won't get anywhere near 20% gain. Maybe 2-4hp on a good day. Id leave it stock. If you want power you are going to have to move into a bigger machine like a can am

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the VDI when I had a King Quad. I was probably the 3 person in AB to own the VDI. There are many people not impressed with the VDI.
I feel the Lyle should have done more tuning and perfected the performance better. The excuse was that every machine runs different.

I spent many days tuning my VDI. I purchased the Innovate air/ fuel ratio gauge. I was able to get my 700cc running quite a bit better than with the maps I had made compared to the maps VDI had.

Here is a good reference for tuning Nyroc's ATV info website

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems hit and miss. I've heard that the VDI's are great when properly tuned, but getting them there isn't always easy. I have a Power Commander in one of my Grizzlies and am not really sold on it even though it has Autotune which auto adjusts the fuel maps for me. Unless you're modded enough to need an EFI programmer, I'd stray away from it becuase the gains just won't be there with a stock bike and you're risking you motor if it is not tuned properly.

The single biggest gains I've seen (other than boring and stroking) are from clutch work. I'm a HUGE fan of the airdam stage 2 machining. ...in my opinion, bar far the biggest bang for the buck.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 08 brute 750 that had the vdi installed when I bought it. Ran good other then cold starts. That quad was a pain to start if the ambient temp was below 10c. I even sent it back to Lyle to have it updated and it came back worse. Ended up taking it off and installing a power commander. Bike started normal after that.
I ended up buying a used vdi for my wife's 08 king 750 off of kijiji. Never did put it in that machine because of all the grief I had read on the nyroc forum. Plus the issues I had with the brute. Pos IMO never would I recommend buying one of them.
The king is a super reliable and good running machine. Just leave it stock and she should be problem free for a long time.
If you want to eliminate the reverse / diff lock override all you need to do is snip a few wires. It is all explained in detail on the nyroc site.
I did the primary clutch shim mod and secondary spring on the king and that really woke the quad up. Shims cost like $10 and the spring was around $25-30 great bang for the buck. All info on nyroc site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what you really need is a good tuner as in a person... Kevin Barnes owns Get Torqed in Edmonton... He is world wide known for his tuning and building of motors for Can ams..... im sure he knows something about VDI's too.... you lots of times need to tune on a dyno...i know with can am the tuners work flawlessly if tuned correctly...

but most are right here... if putting a tuner on a close to stock machine.. you really dont get much out of them... one or two hp at the most... not this 20% increase... that is just not true... i have had no experience with VDI's cause i have never owned a kawi or suzuki...

i do know all about the can ams thou... been playing with them for 11 years now... tuners on most machines are not chips... they are fuel tuners adding or subtracting fuel cause any mod can throw the afr out at certain rpm's...
lots of people always ask do i need a tuner if i just throw a pipe on... well that is a loaded question in a

anything like that .. that you throw onto your bike will change the afr ratios... will that machine need a tuner?

many say no and many have ran a machine without one for long periods of time... what i do know with can am and what i have seen many times on dyno sheets testing stock machines with say just a pipe.. that at certain rpms the machine is way to lean which is not really good... will you notice that? no.. but your machine will...it would probably be happier with a tuner then without ... but in general many have run without a tuner with a mod or two...

but on the Kawi s i have heard more bad stuff on these VDI s then good.... also i do agree on the clutching... clutching is really the heart of your machine cause it take the power of the motor and transfers it to the ground effectivly... if your clutching is out then your leaving hp on the line that never gets used... clutching is the number one most important thing before you even add any mods... stock clutching from the factory always leaves hp on the line that will never get used cause your shifting out at lower rpms then where the motor makes the most power...

Last edited:

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what you really need is a good tuner as in a person... Kevin Barnes owns Get Torqed in Edmonton... He is world wide known for his tuning and building of motors for Can ams..... im sure he knows something about VDI's too.... .

I thought Get Torqued was out of business ? their phone # is not in service

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. I forgot I had a programmer in my can am. Got the machine with a pipe on it and bought the programmer thinking it would help. Made no difference.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never used vdi, but I did put a moose racing chip in my brute force 650 and I couldn't believe the difference it made. If you just want to over ride your limit switch do some searching you should be able to do so simple wiring to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought Get Torqued was out of business ? their phone # is not in service

no never out of business... Kevin just down sized... no longer selling just parts... he is a one man team now... no employees... he does not advertise his phone number but does give it out... you can reach him by email kevin@get-torqed.com thou.....

his phone is his cell... no shop number.... mostly cause he is very busy doing builds and tuning.... he is busyier then ever now... he does not have time for tire kickers like his other shop had... if your serious about power and need some .. then give him an email....

he is in Acheson now ... just west a bit of Edmonton....has been there ever since his other shop closed...

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, I know there's varying opinions on it but I think bypassing your override switch is a terrible idea. I've seen a couple of people now who have done this and got pinned against their throttle in reverse - scary chit!

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the VDI on my 08 Grizzly - wasn't ever impressed. (Lyle was great for help; just never did much for my machine)
Changed to a Power Commander - still no great improvement IMO.
I should have admitted defeat and moved to a twin. (But damn - still love that grizz)
Regardless - I agree with Dean - skip the chip and look into AirDam modn' your clutch.
Good luck.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran muzzy programmer on my brute 750i along with their full exhaust system. Never skipped a beat. Cant say it made any noticeable power gains other then being a little more snappy. This 08 is for sale FYI.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had moose module on my brute

Took the low speed limits out, could catwalk it in high any time

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Power commander with auto tune works great. Also gives you the ability to write your own maps. Helpful you add more goodies down the road.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kawi v twins respond well to a programmer , the king quads not so much ... All bike are different . With the deals out there right now ,and the power in some of the newest machines , I would just sell it and upgrade ....
the new canams / popo's have more than enough power for 99% of the people who ride...

most at people just don't have the ability / tools or know how to tune / clutch a bike properly anyways ...and more often than not make it run worse while at the same time decrease reliability.

the way the economy is now you can buy cheaper than build something up, not to mention the 40% increase because of the U.S. $ in most aftermarket parts !

Top Bottom