best 4x4 under $6000, can't pick between these......

dgsmooth

Reaction score
so these are a few that i'm looking at:

Kingquad 700 Get Your Ride Before Maylong - Red Deer ATV For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

2004 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 700 EFI (MONSTER) ATV - Edmonton ATV For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

2006 Polaris sportsman 800 - Edmonton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

for sale 2005 mossy oak polaris 800 sportsman - Red Deer ATV For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4 ~Great shape~ - Alberta ATV For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 HO - Edmonton ATV For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO - Red Deer ATV For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

looking to get a 4x4 quad, need some help making a good decision. i live in rocky mountain house, alberta, so will be doing combination of trail riding and mud etc etc.. honestly not really big into muskeg and mud holes, so mostly trails and mountain riding type stuff. am kind of stuck between polaris sportsman and suzuki king quad. i know polaris seem to be a love them or hate them type thing, but i worked for polaris in the late 90's and i still really like polaris, maybe i'm used them. what i'm looking for is some honest personal experience people have had, good or bad with their machines. i've searched all over the web and man is it hard to find good threads that don't turn into pissing matches between people that have accidentally offended each other, or comments like 'i heard from a buddy that........'. i know they all have their pros and cons, so maybe better to ask for peoples pros and cons of each, not just a flat-out which is better. thanks to all for any help.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get into a 550xp for around 5500 from what i've seen, and I would take that over any of the polaris's you've mentioned, or if you watch you can find a 2009 850xp around 6000.00. I bought mine last year for 5600 and my bro is looking at one as well with only 350 miles for 6000.00. sorry I don't know much about suzuki or kawi.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get a older Polaris. In the older sportsman chassis. Th xp is good.

The kingquad is good.

Brutes are good with more power than the king by a lot.

Plus the Suzuki and kawi have dealers in rocky.

sent from my HTC

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned all of those, with the exception of the King Quad....I'd keep looking. They're all over priced...$6500 for an '06 Sportsman 800? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I paid that. I have always liked the Polaris stuff, but looking back now, I wouldn't touch the older units, rads are mounted low, and the winches are way up high. The new XP platform is leaps and bounds ahead of the old Sportsman. Last year, Polaris was selling off carbed 500's for $6g brand new. You can find '07 and '08 Renegades for the same amount.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed for $6g you should be able to find something newer with less mileage on it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to me he is looking for advertised quads in a price range, on kiji, that is the asking price, selling price may be less, maybe you guys can find him one of these real cheap atv's you so fondly speak of.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the list you have: the BF750. Don't even look at those old-school Poolaris things. A new XP is a different story.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kawasaki is the only one i would even look at. That kind quad has too many miles and mods for the money.

I do feel for ya, i have two buddies desperately trying to find something decent in that price range and most poeple selling quads are on glue.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go with the flow as well...Don`t touch the older sportsmans 6 , 7 or 800...........The new XP`s if you can get one in your range are a great bike....A new 650 brute might be your best buy. IF ,you lean to trail riding (comfort &ride) i would suggest the XP. It is EFI, no jetting issues,lots of power and a very rider friendly 4x4 system....and power steering !!

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go CanAm you can find an 2007 or 2008 for that price and they are bullet proofproof.

Sent from my Note2

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I go with the flow as well...Don`t touch the older sportsmans 6 , 7 or 800...........The new XP`s if you can get one in your range are a great bike....A new 650 brute might be your best buy. IF ,you lean to trail riding (comfort &ride) i would suggest the XP. It is EFI, no jetting issues,lots of power and a very rider friendly 4x4 system....and power steering !!

my next one will likely be a Sportsman XP, after Riding Sara's for a weekend last summer, and cruising the trailer park with it the last couple weeks, it is definitely going to be my next..... not sure whether I'll go all out for the 850, or just stick with the 550

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's cause there's no skeg and hardly any mud out here but my Sportsman 800 is a great quad goes anywhere the can-am's and modded rzr's I ride with do. It actually has more clearance under the diffs than the can-am and does much better in the snow than the rzrs. Rides good on the trails and has enough power. There are a bunch of 550XP's right near your price range on Kijiji though. Used quads make me nervous so I prefer units with under 1500km and little to no mods. I bought my 800 bone stock not even a winch with 140km's (10hrs) still showroom fresh not a spec of mud.

dgsmooth

Reaction score
okay thanks guys, some good opinions. i have found a bone stock 2010 polaris 850xp, right at the top of my budget, but something new and unproven always makes me nervous, inline 2 cylinder and all that. i guess they've been out or couple years so not exactly new....

anyways i'm still a little un-informed on what is wrong with the older sportsmans. i searched all over the web and sort of the same as this thread - lots of warnings to not even go there but not really any reasons why. in fact i read some consumer report surveys and the sportsman 500 is the top selling 4x4 of the last 15 years. and the reliability/track record is pretty good too. of course that doesnt speak to the performance of them. wondering if thats why the bad rap on them? performance is ust not as good? i'm not arguing with anybody, just looking for the facts of course.

i have found a couple new listings, maybe you more experienced folks could shed some personal experience on these two for me, first is a grizzly and second an outlander:

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700. Power Steering. Low Kilometers. - Red Deer ATV For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

Can-Am Outlander XT - Edmonton ATV For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

twogun

Reaction score
check at camrose polaris dealer they seem to be the best priced ive seen around. look into the bruteforce motor issues. ive heard a lot of people r having heating issues taking out motors posts ive read people r wiring fan on bf to switch to run constant. can am excellent ride tons of power 2010 & 11 that i know of get very hot seat from exhaust . two buddys have them both 800s outlander max . i got a 700 king. i like it seems very reliable. not the power of c am bf or pol. but i still ride with them machines

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Grizzlies are a good reliable machine. Lacking somewhat in the power dept though, but makes up for it in ride quality, handling. They got a couple inherent issues though. There's a stator cooling upgrade. Consists of a new engine side case with an oil line and galleries added in to bathe stator in oil to keep it cool. Otherwise it'll burn out. The secondary clutch has been known to have rivet heads pop off. There has been updates for all this, but in true Yamaha fashion, it comes out as a service bulletin advisory. Not a recall so chances are if the upgrade hasn't been done, your on the hook to fix it yourself. My grizz 700 is an '07 model and yes I've had to do these repairs. Only other issues I've had was the reverse speed limiter crapped out and the TPS failed shortly after new. I only got 2800 km on it but they've been hard ones. Things like ball joints, bushings, axles, tierod ends etc, sure I've replaced them as we'll, but that all indicative to how I ride. Others have gone thousands of miles without needing much for repairs.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an 03 700 sportsman POS. the 500's were a decent machine though and very comparable to the 660 grizz in the power department.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay thanks guys, some good opinions. i have found a bone stock 2010 polaris 850xp, right at the top of my budget, but something new and unproven always makes me nervous, inline 2 cylinder and all that. i guess they've been out or couple years so not exactly new....

anyways i'm still a little un-informed on what is wrong with the older sportsmans. i searched all over the web and sort of the same as this thread - lots of warnings to not even go there but not really any reasons why. in fact i read some consumer report surveys and the sportsman 500 is the top selling 4x4 of the last 15 years. and the reliability/track record is pretty good too. of course that doesnt speak to the performance of them. wondering if thats why the bad rap on them? performance is ust not as good? i'm not arguing with anybody, just looking for the facts of course.

i have found a couple new listings, maybe you more experienced folks could shed some personal experience on these two for me, first is a grizzly and second an outlander:

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700. Power Steering. Low Kilometers. - Red Deer ATV For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

Can-Am Outlander XT - Edmonton ATV For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Can Am is way overpriced.
Get the Yammy below 6 and it might be a good buy.
I'd push a Teryx before I would buy Poolaris.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Offer the guy with the Canam $5k that's a good deal

Sent from my Note2

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally i would get a king quad, or the yamaha, may not be a fast as a v-twin but how fast can you go on a trail. they are a very good quad, have good 4 wheel drive system, used parts are available,

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What, they are junk isnt good eneogh explanation for you?lol

Id also like to know,, we had a 700sportsman back in the day and it worked good for us....

Top Bottom