Would you do it again? 174 feedback on Stock Axys

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any feedback on the stock 174x3" Axys? I've got the 163x3 and curious as to what people's experiences have been and would you do the 174 again stock? Thanks

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loved my 174 T3. Seen an article the other day that had a g4 vs 174 axys. The Polaris 174 out climbed the g4. I believe it, 174 is beast.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick up my Lime 163 LE on Thursday. They still have an Orange 174 LE there as well. Was a tough choice....... always said I was going 174 next sled, but then got to thinking about how many deep pow days I have ridden in the past couple of years that a 174 would have got me where my 162 wouldn't go. I hope we get so much snow I regret not buying the 174 to be honest.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode with a G4 this past weekend and it was definitely stronger than my Axys from a motor perspective. I was very impressed at how it popped out of the snow and climbed up through tight steeper trees. I rode it for a bit and it did not feel quite as responsive, a little wider, and heavier but not by much. I could get used to it very easily. We were in the trees in Frisby and at Keystone so did not get a chance to go "head to head" plus the G4 was in break in on first two days of use. This is kind of where I was thinking that maybe a 174 Axys would be best of both worlds with the sacrifice of tighter turning. I had a 174 Turbo Nytro and am a larger guy (235 lbs plus whatever a Zalas pizza weighs!) and the track length was not a negative for me, but then again the trees we rode then were not nearly as steep and tight as what I do now with the Axys. I know the 174 is long when stuck but I found with my 174 I got stuck less often so it works out..

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for it Jim. I think the traction overcomes the nimbleness, especially in tight deep situations.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the way I'm leaning Brandon! After where we were on Saturday a little extra traction would have gone a long way... ha, ha!

Outlaw Motorsports

Reaction score
I have all 3 lengths this year and have a couple rides on each. The 174 is crazy forgiving and the geometry and spring changes make it the best riding of the bunch. It does give up some nimbleness and take a bit more effort to throw around. The 155 is an absolute riot but doesn't allow for the errors the longer machines do. The 163 does everything well and if I could
only own one it would be my choice. I'm 6'1" 190 lbs and the bigger guys in our group love the 174". They don't seem to notice the extra effort in maneuvering and the floatation and traction really make a difference. Really impressed with the calibration and set up of the 2017's.

Cheers!
LL

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! Greatly appreciated. Just got to start collecting pop cans now to swing ordering one in the spring...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about more info on the Axys, there seem to be not much on them lately. A 174 would be my choice because of my size but how are these engine holding out, especially on boost?
Is there any real constant issues these are having that one should be aware?
I was considering the new G4 but Doo is dooin it again LOL.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our group we have about 5 Axys and so far no engine issues whatsoever. Always crisp and great in trees! No boost, just cans and one with a pipe. I too an anxious to hear back on boosted Axys experiences? Just in case I find lots of pop cans...

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only put about 300kms on my '16 Axys but so far no complaints!
Other than having to build up more confidence on it to see what it can really do.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 174 is a very strong climber. I rode one with a bikeman exhaust/clutching/fuel box and it was very impressive and felt snappy off the bottom. The stock version feels a little slower but it just tractors up steep hills in control. I am not sure I'd want one to ride everyday just when it's stupid deep. If i had 2 sleds i'd have a 155 2.6 and the 174.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about more info on the Axys, there seem to be not much on them lately. A 174 would be my choice because of my size but how are these engine holding out, especially on boost?
Is there any real constant issues these are having that one should be aware?
I was considering the new G4 but Doo is dooin it again LOL.
I will keep you up to date Lund I start riding soon, I will be on this sled all season. I personalty love the 174 for me.... I have had both in the same season and always prefer the 174 unless were talking late late late spring..

Attachments

• 20161123_205353.jpg
    20161123_205353.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 450

ProRmk800

Reaction score
I will keep you up to date Lund I start riding soon, I will be on this sled all season. I personalty love the 174 for me.... I have had both in the same season and always prefer the 174 unless were talking late late late spring..

What supplier did you get your wrap from chrisco i love it!

borsky

Reaction score
IMG_3161.jpg I put 104 miles on this stock 163 3" in valemount . I did do the kmod arms and i put the kmod skid from my 15 RMK in it and the triple rate springs on the factory walker clickers. also fully clipped track, installed delrin in secondary and set primary side sheave clearance. I rode with a guy on a stock 850 165" both brand new never been ridden. Side by side same hill 2' somewhat setup pow. they were a dead heat up the hill. climbing most times i could just barely out ride him and make it 2' higher. So pretty much even. Both are still on breaking mode, but i could really tell after 3 hrs when fuelling leaned out a bit. Also he's 140 lb rider and I'm 215.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any more experience of an Axys 174 vs G4 off break in now that its been a few weeks?

Top Bottom