Would Money Make You or Ruin You?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened on an interesting article below and got me thinking about how I might behave had I inherited a ton of money. My personal belief is that money and things have limited value and don't in themselves make you happy. A person can be happy with very little and others are miserable regardless of how much they have.

I am pretty happy with how things have gone for me. I have done well enough that I need for nothing financially and a big part of my happiness factor is I married well (not a money thing - she is smarter than me) and my three kids are all hard working decent people who will do well in life for themselves and those they encounter along the way. I could have made more money but instead decided I would retire at 53. A little young to sit down and watch the world go by so I am working from time to time at things that interest me. Pretty nice balance overall.

This person on the other hand had a pretty amazing leg up on life and seems to have come through it with a nicely balanced outlook.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle...n-youll-ever-spend/ar-BBVx9iI?ocid=spartandhp

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your going in the right direction. From what Im reading your in a way better place then any money hungery millionaire.
life is great when you get out of bed on your terms and not because you have too.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As they say “more money more problems”. Only so many days in life and most of us spend way to many working and chasing the almighty dollar.

I remeber watching Brent Butt the guy from Corner Gas show doing stand up talking about winning the lottery and riding down Main Street on a giraffe swinging a bag of gophers lol. So yah I agree it would change me as much as you try to tell yourself it wouldn’t. People tend to align themselves with friends of the same means so that alone would change.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that money doesn't change people.

If your an @sshole with money, you'd still be an @sshole without it.

If you're a reasonable person without money, you'd likely remain that way if you inherited a bunch.

Money just seems to make these traits more noticeable.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm bad with money.
I think for a short bit, I'd be okay with it.
Pay off debt. Invest a bit.
But then bad habits would slowly take over. And I'd be broke pretty damn fast.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know it buddy! New socks 365!
I just wiggled my toes in these year old white/kinda off white dirty stretched socks.
I'm gonna throw them away in preparation for the lotto win tommorro!.

You know socks are cheap AF right? Haha

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wealth just takes who you already are and exaggerates it, if you’re an a*hole, you become a super a*hole, if you’re a standup person, you’ll be even more so.

Top Bottom