Wire Rope Car Fugger Uppers QE2??

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in a province that has enough room to space the highway 100 feet apart. Too bad they never used their heads in the first place,..

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in a province that has enough room to space the highway 100 feet apart. Too bad they never used their heads in the first place,..

Yea and if they would have done that when they built the highway 40 + years ago everyone would have been bitch'n about the wast of land and taxpayers money to buy the extra farmland. Nobody would believe that someone would be driving down the highway at 160K in their 1950's and 60's cars.Heck, back then who would have believed they would have semi's with 2 trailers of any length!.... Just a no win situation trying to please everyone.
We had 2 friends killed (husband and wife) on a head on from someone crossing the median, left two boys orphaned. The cables are a great idea to save lives, but I must admit, I would be pissed about the damage to my car as well.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's what I know about the wires as I work for a towing company that has to deal with pulling vehicles out of the fences all the time. I talked with one of the officers at the scene of a tractor/trailer unit that got tangled up in the wires just north of Airdrie a few months back, he told me that since the wires were installed between Crossfield and Airdrie they have had 57 strikes( at that time) and of those only 4 vehicles actually penetrated the fence and made it into oncoming traffic, with no fatalities. Think of the # possible fatalities or serious injuries had the fence not been there. I was a doubter to the ability of the fence to stop a loaded semi until I pulled my first one out of it. The rig took out about 150 meters of fence posts and the wires fanned out catching the whole unit, a pain in the arse to get untangled, but very impressive. I've also pulled a city bus out of the fence on Deerfoot, sliced the front of the bus up but stopped it from reaching the other lanes. The wires are there to save lives, which no one can argue against. Yes, should you hit them you are gonna fugg up your vehicle but that's a small price to pay considering that the other out come could be death.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea and if they would have done that when they built the highway 40 + years ago everyone would have been bitch'n about the wast of land and taxpayers money to buy the extra farmland. Nobody would believe that someone would be driving down the highway at 160K in their 1950's and 60's cars.Heck, back then who would have believed they would have semi's with 2 trailers of any length!.... Just a no win situation trying to please everyone.
We had 2 friends killed (husband and wife) on a head on from someone crossing the median, left two boys orphaned. The cables are a great idea to save lives, but I must admit, I would be pissed about the damage to my car as well.

how true, sorry about the friends kids hope they are doing ok, although may never get over it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
i try to avoid #2 if possible ..Beacause,,if there is a crash and they shut the hiway down,,,your screwed,,,cant get off it,,,but sometimes i take the chance,,,to many people doing 150 ,160,,,i dont find it a relaxing drive .

I find it invigorating.....:d

Top Bottom