Wire Rope Car Fugger Uppers QE2??

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the opinion of everyone about the newly installed Wire Rope Fences that they have installed on various spots of the QE2?? They have them around Red Deer, and have made some serious messes of vehicles. Even when they have plowed the road, they can't plow as far into the ditch, and it just builds up right on the road.

How was this idea sold to the AB gov/department of highways? Wouldn't it of been better down the center of the ditch? Let the snow help slow you down, and if you have made it that far through the ditch, it would stop you then, before riding up to the on coming lane?

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bottom line these car fugger uppers save lives and last winter maybe mine, I watched a truck spin out control in other oncoming lane, hit the fence did not bounce off back into traffic, and did not continue to come my direction and become a my head on collision. The fence did what it was designed to do.
I have no sympathy for people that hit the fence for "car damage" If you hit the fence you were doing something wrong. Either driving too fast or not paying attention!

Not sure why they have in some area's positioned them close to the one side and it does make more sense to have them in the middle. Around Calgary they have both positions. Maybe less breaks in the fences for bridges etc.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saved me from a head on two weeks ago just south of Red Deer. I thought they were stupid till that happened. Had that car made it across the median it wouldv'e been nasty and it happened way to fast for me to react.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen the fence save 2 people in one day. and it was ssummer :eek:

but yes it does make more sence to have it in the middle. like it is past reddeer to calgary

eitherway if you hit the ditch in your car at highway speed in the winter chances are its going to the b ody shop for some serious repairs anyways

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
The purpose was to save lives by not allowing cars to cross the meridian and go head on into the other lane. Regardless of placement, i support the idea.
Unfortunately the reason many vehicles cross into the other lane is speed, following to close or not paying attention (Summer or Winter) so IMO if you hit the wire int he middle you may want to take a look at the cause...so as not to start a fight, the statement above is "many vehicles" not all...
:):):beer::):)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no reason why the ropes are in the edge of pavement, other than there may already be a cable or cables in the centre of the ditch. there are all kinds of Fiber Optic and communication cables running in the highway boundaries. could be a # of reasons. usually money, easier to move 5 ft than reroute cables etc. in different areas of the highway there are 4plus fibre cables, carrying all the provinces communication lines for banks, government, military, and other highly confidental info. there is 1 spot where you can dig a 5 x5x5ft hole that can shut the province down. ;)

i may be the most dangerous man in the world?

friggin can't sleep

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to decide, is it better to hit the cables or hit traffic coming at you head on? can you tell me which would you prefer, i prefer you pay attention Grasshopper.

friggin can't satisfy everyone.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've been on the receiving end of a full sized SUV crossing the middle and getting into my lane (down by Crossfield).
Not a fun experience at all.
I got lucky and was not hit but this SUV had enough force to cross huge piles of hardened snow in the middle and then get across both of our lanes of traffic and into the other ditch.
I was in 4x4 in the dirtymax traveling at 80kmh and I'm guessing he was doing 120+. Based on Road Conditions that day - 80 may have been too fast.

There is my story....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
i have no reason why the ropes are in the edge of pavement, other than there may already be a cable or cables in the centre of the ditch. there are all kinds of Fiber Optic and communication cables running in the highway boundaries. could be a # of reasons. usually money, easier to move 5 ft than reroute cables etc. in different areas of the highway there are 4plus fibre cables, carrying all the provinces communication lines for banks, government, military, and other highly confidental info. there is 1 spot where you can dig a 5 x5x5ft hole that can shut the province down. ;)

i may be the most dangerous man in the world?

friggin can't sleep

Wanna go dig a hole this weekend??????? :d:d:beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the opinion of everyone about the newly installed Wire Rope Fences that they have installed on various spots of the QE2?? They have them around Red Deer, and have made some serious messes of vehicles. Even when they have plowed the road, they can't plow as far into the ditch, and it just builds up right on the road.

How was this idea sold to the AB gov/department of highways? Wouldn't it of been better down the center of the ditch? Let the snow help slow you down, and if you have made it that far through the ditch, it would stop you then, before riding up to the on coming lane?

i understand your pain, i'm thinking if they were in ditch center, plows would plow the snow on top of cables, would harden giving you a launching ramp, or a least catch the front wheels and making for some stinky pants. the problem is the lanes are to close together. thank the government for this mess.
they are trying to fix the mess, looks like the easiest solution so far.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
i understand your pain, i'm thinking if they were in ditch center, plows would plow the snow on top of cables, would harden giving you a launching ramp, or a least catch the front wheels and making for some stinky pants. the problem is the lanes are to close together. thank the government for this mess.
they are trying to fix the mess, looks like the easiest solution so far.
They could start by teaching people how to drive,it's waaaay to easy to get a license.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone think about hitting that on your bike??? :eek::eek::eek: That's what I think about about while riding alongside them.......especially where you have no control over a lot of other's thoughts and actions such as the QE2??? :(

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Anyone think about hitting that on your bike??? :eek::eek::eek: That's what I think about about while riding alongside them.......especially where you have no control over a lot of other's thoughts and actions such as the QE2??? :(
I've thought of testing them with a bed truck,just to see how tough they are...

But a bike????? No thanks...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't be out there on your bike...way too cold and slippery:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised and happy when I saw them last summer. I drive a little more relaxed knowing I don't have to watch the other side of the highway as much as the side I'm on. Seen a lot of cars go across that median for no good reason!

As someone who has lost a 3 year old cousin and had an aunt and uncle severly maimed due to vehicles crossing that highway and causing a head on, I support the wires. Obviously the number of fatalities caused by vehicles crossing the median was enough to justify the installation. Makes me wonder just how bad it really is. I'm sure the before and after stats will be significant.

It's one of those AB projects where I think someone used their head a made a wise decision. Those are few and far between in this province.

Top Bottom