Winterization??

durion

Reaction score
I know....I Know... we have had some good weather so far this end of august early sept. And I dont want to jinx it but when is a good time to winterize an IN BOARD here in Alberta. And does anyone know of a half decently priced place to get it done??

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I know....I Know... we have had some good weather so far this end of august early sept. And I dont want to jinx it but when is a good time to winterize an IN BOARD here in Alberta. And does anyone know of a half decently priced place to get it done??

Do it yourself .................. save lots of dough and you know its done right.
If it's a mercruiser it will take about an hour of your time! :beer::d

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
However that said ................. its 30 degrees outside!!!
Take it too the lake! :beer::d:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

durion

Reaction score
It is very easy NAIT also has a step by step winterizing video that I thought I had but can't find right now. You can try going on their web site and search there.

yeah if you can find that video let me know.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

Jake

Reaction score
Cooler weather this weekend, minus one forcast for next Monday. Had a hard time winterizing when it is 30 degrees out.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Got that right ................ guy should call in sick and hit the lake!! :beer::d:beer:

rgutmann

Reaction score
I'm with Sledderdoc and do it yourself, cost to get it done i heard is about 400.00, not too sure what that includes. I did mine which is a mercruiser for around 130.00 which included changing gear oil in leg, engine oil and filter, draining water from block and exhaust and replacing with RV antifreeze and spray storage seal in carb while running and into spark plug holes. Mine was winterized mid Sept as I have been caught leaving later.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm with Sledderdoc and do it yourself, cost to get it done i heard is about 400.00, not too sure what that includes. I did mine which is a mercruiser for around 130.00 which included changing gear oil in leg, engine oil and filter, draining water from block and exhaust and replacing with RV antifreeze and spray storage seal in carb while running and into spark plug holes. Mine was winterized mid Sept as I have been caught leaving later.

Mine is in a heated shop these days so I've got time. Hoping to go until late Oct. Still winterize though in case of power failure etc.. :beer::d:beer:

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is in a heated shop these days so I've got time. Hoping to go until late Oct. Still winterize though in case of power failure etc.. :beer::d:beer:

Keep mine in a heated shop all winter but like you stated a couple hundred bucks to winterize is cheaper than a new engine. I was at Wizard lake picking up supplies and they said they did 3 engines last spring from people doing a poor winterize job. Mine is a piece of cake, couple hours and she's done. All i have left is to wax the boat and trailer and tarp up to keep dust out.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Keep mine in a heated shop all winter but like you stated a couple hundred bucks to winterize is cheaper than a new engine. I was at Wizard lake picking up supplies and they said they did 3 engines last spring from people doing a poor winterize job. Mine is a piece of cake, couple hours and she's done. All i have left is to wax the boat and trailer and tarp up to keep dust out.

Doing mine this weekend ............ all this snow has me thinking sledding!! Boating is done for this season.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing mine this weekend ............ all this snow has me thinking sledding!! Boating is done for this season.

I'm also winterizing mine this weekend along with my trailer....sad time of year for summer toys.............But also picking up the sled this weekend so I guess i will be a happy guy at the end of the day.

JDM

Reaction score
Try Sea Flush to winterize your boat yourself. It worked great for me over the weekend! It was the 1st time I had done it myself an with just a little effort, my boat was ready to sit for the winter.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a couple more trips planed......and it's stored in a heated shop for now....

We do all of our own work, but the warranty on the motor has a cluase that a licenced mechanic has to do the work or the warranty is void.......

So was thinking of using Sherwood Marine, but found a couple of licensed marine tech's working after hours that will come to my shop.....saves the trouble of towing it ....

Top Bottom