Winter tires studded Duratrac vs Blizzak

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine just put a set of Hercules all terrain on his Chev 3/4. He had read many a reviews before his decision. Nothing but the best for this friend. They look to be a real decent tire and seemed to perform real well off road. He is quite happy.

Nagzs

Reaction score
Does anyone use chains?
I'm from Ontario and will be driving out West early to mid December. Going to be flying out every month and picking up my truck and trailer in Calgary and heading to the mountains. Not sure if studded tires is the best option for me.
Also should i get snow tires for my trailer? It's all aluminum 14ft v noes and weighs about 1850lbs.

Thanks for the help.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes to chains but only when needed ( like slid off the road ect..).

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with Rapid Revolutions(780-455-7553), that is where I got my Hercules tires for my Mustang, they will get pretty much anything in and at good prices.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use chains?
I'm from Ontario and will be driving out West early to mid December. Going to be flying out every month and picking up my truck and trailer in Calgary and heading to the mountains. Not sure if studded tires is the best option for me.
Also should i get snow tires for my trailer? It's all aluminum 14ft v noes and weighs about 1850lbs.

Thanks for the help.

on hwy use with a pick up... a good dedicated snow tire is better then chains unless you want to grawl along... like mentioned before if you get stuck or ur off road chains are awesome... put the best tires you can on your pick up... don't worry about your trailer... id be more worried about the salt on your boat... imhop

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a decent price on a set of 325/60/20 studded dura tracs?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tirerack.com says $1844US for the tires w/studs, $2440US with shipping.

Reaction score
The duratracs are a decent tire. I have em on my work truck and run em studded year round.
Some issues:
-sidewalls have more give than most tires. Esp when new. Not a 'performance' handling tire that's for sure.
-they are NOT good in serious rock. Sidewalls slice real easy.

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Disregard the tittle of this thread, the Duratracs are out because I want a true winter tire and the Blizzaks are out because they don't come with an E rating or studs. I'm in between the Nokian Hakkepalita LT2 and the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT, both studded and the Nokians will be $100 more for the set. Eeny meanie miney moe... Suggestions?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Disregard the tittle of this thread, the Duratracs are out because I want a true winter tire and the Blizzaks are out because they don't come with an E rating or studs. I'm in between the Nokian Hakkepalita LT2 and the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT, both studded and the Nokians will be $100 more for the set. Eeny meanie miney moe... Suggestions?
The last 2 years I have kinda went old school with my winters and am running the Uniroyal HDT on my pickup and my plow truck. 238/85R16 10ply studded. Im not sure all the sizes they are available in, but I am sure happy with the traction and tread wear. A bit loud, a bit gnarly but one heck of a winter tire.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I ran the Nokian's last winter with the factory installed studs. I was caught between a rock and a hard place (blew a couple of summer tires mid September) and had to put the winters on a month early. I only lost about 20 studs on 4 tires throughout the season. I was pretty happy with them and there is still another winter remaining with them.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
Ive had Great luck with them, in fact I just bought a set of 35's from fountain for 1444 and change there 15% off right now great time to buy.....well don't know if it matter to yea but the duratracs are a true winter tire... they have a snowflake stamp for a reason... there not as soft cause 90% of people that buy them will put them under a truck and to be honest with yea a "real " set of winter grips will burn off way too fast under a diesel. you could go threw a set a year all depends on how many k's. I've got my currant duratracs rollin on 50k now over the last 2 winters id say they done there job kept me out of the ditch and threw the mountains a bunch of times a very good tire deep snow good, slushy mud snow even better.

Top Bottom