Winter tires studded Duratrac vs Blizzak

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys it's time for me to get some new tires for my f350. I currently have studded duratracs 295/65/18 and they've worked pretty good the last few winters but just wondering if there is something better out there. I know Duratracs are not a dedicated winter tire and don't have the same soft compound but they sure are good in deeper snow.

Looking at the Blizzaks DM-V1 studdless or even the Goodyear ultragrip ice studded, or buy another set of duratracs. Any input guys? This will strictly be for the crazy winters here in Fort McMurray and on the hwy of death (hwy 63).

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys it's time for me to get some new tires for my f350. I currently have studded duratracs 295/65/18 and they've worked pretty good the last few winters but just wondering if there is something better out there. I know Duratracs are not a dedicated winter tire and don't have the same soft compound but they sure are good in deeper snow.

Looking at the Blizzaks DM-V1 studdless or even the Goodyear ultragrip ice studded, or buy another set of duratracs. Any input guys? This will strictly be for the crazy winters here in Fort McMurray and on the hwy of death (hwy 63).

I run the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice unstudded on my '12 3500 Dodge and an not impressed with them. Maybe if they were studded they would be an improvement

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running the studded Firestone Winterforce the last few years, wifes Yukon and my F-350, seem pretty good so far.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have tried both the duratracs and blizzacs... my favorite by far is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta sold at kal tire... you can stud them as well... the blizzacs and them are about the same i just found on my diesel the nokian didn't shred on dry pavement like the blizzacs did. THe Nokian also provide a little better traction in deep snow or on very wet roads... the directional lugs help move water away... the blizzacks the siping goes straight across find when i hit heavy rain in spring i hydro plane a lot more... anyhow just my two cents...

duratrac is a nice tire... will run them on the diesel now that i don't winter drive it much... its more of a camping truck... great tire in the deep snow or spring break up but ice covered roads not even close to Blizzacks or Nokians..

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Excellent thanks guys. I just called the kal tire in St. Albert and they said $1520 for a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded 275/65/18 and $1630 installed so I think I might just order them. Think I will notice a huge improvement on snowpack and Icey roads over my studded duratracs?

scully

Reaction score
I have ran studded duratrac's then switch to studded ultra grip wrt's. The wrt's out performed them but they are a true winter tire. That being said I am running duratrac's this winter. pm me RazorSVT I can give you a suggestion if you are interested..

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent thanks guys. I just called the kal tire in St. Albert and they said $1520 for a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded 275/65/18 and $1630 installed so I think I might just order them. Think I will notice a huge improvement on snowpack and Icey roads over my studded duratracs?

You notice a huge difference going from a crappy summer tire to studded winter, going from one winter rated studded tire to a different flavor of studded winter, not so much IMO.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

My Kal tire dealer told me to get the factory installed studs. They last a lot longer than the ones they shoot into the tires. 265/70R17's Nokian Hakka's last September were 1427.20 installed before taxes. After taxes and the BC bullchit it was $1620.86.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Factory studded Nokian Hakk's on my dually....love them but they weren't cheap !!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studding duratracs is a waste of money. I did mine on my work truck and the lug is so soft the studs will imbed themselves deeper in the lug rendering the stud useless. There are better studdable winter tire options than the duratracs

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Firestone Winterforce is a very good inexpensive tire, but the Nokian tires are better and more expensive. Money no object? Nokian.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If one is into sledding and driving the logging roads, don't cheap out on tires. I was coming down very slow in wet heavy snow in low range 4x4 with what I thought was a good tire (and that tire had been highly recommended and I had used that brand for 5 years with no problems). An icy base on a corner and it is good thing the berm held me. My winter tires are always going to be factory studded and good tires. No cheapies for this dude......I use Nokian Hakka's.....:D

I have posted this picture before, but just to make a point......

IMG_0848.jpg

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hankook Ipike studded is my best suggestion. I ran them on my duramax and loved them! I ran duratrac studded last year and they sucked as said the tires are to soft and studs sink in to deep.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got two winters out of my 295/75R18 Studded Duratracs.
First winter the studs were excellent and worked fine. The second winter with about 40 000km on the tires at that point, they were a little less effective but still better than no studs.
I will run another set on my winter rims.

For those of you that bad mouth studs, remember that in a soft tire when the it contacts the ground it exposes the stud to the road surface. When your stopped and just looking at it, it may look like it isn't going to do anything but trust me it's still making contact. And like all studs, they do wear down-which IMO is a good thing. Wet pavement and new studded tires is as bad as an all season on ice from my experience. Tend to skid on the studs a little more. Once they wear in a bit I find that's when they work best.
Also FYI my truck weighs 8000lbs + so it's a brick to stop and handle on icy roads. These tires are the best I have found so far and haven't found another studable winter yet in a 295 or bigger so will likely stay with them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If one is into sledding and driving the logging roads, don't cheap out on tires. I was coming down very slow in wet heavy snow in low range 4x4 with what I thought was a good tire (and that tire had been highly recommended and I had used that brand for 5 years with no problems). An icy base on a corner and it is good thing the berm held me. My winter tires are always going to be factory studded and good tires. No cheapies for this dude......I use Nokian Hakka's.....:D

I have posted this picture before, but just to make a point......

View attachment 159163

think you will need to back off a bit on the bailey's in the morning coffee.

you got lucky, no sense pushing it again eh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom