New truck time, apples to oranges

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Well guys and gals it's coming time for me to get a newer truck but am having a dilemma in picking the one. First off I'm sure all of you will say your choices are apples to oranges and it's going to depend on what you want to use it for, just hear me out.

I currently have a 08 F350 King Ranch, I initially bought it as a DD and to tow my car with a 28' enclosed car hauler from fort Mac to Edmonton to race. I sold my car and trailer so I won't be towing for awhile. I love my truck on these icy winter roads especially hwy 63 as with studded tires this thing has the weight to hold nicely.

I am accustomed now to a larger truck it seems, luxury, safer, high tech, powerful and being able to see above most of the other traffic.

2013 f150 platinum - pro- luxury, cheaper, cheaper Maintenence, better ride than a 1ton, better fuel economy. Con- smaller, low ground clearance, less power, everyone has one

2013 f350 platinum- pro- most luxuriest, powerful, safer, can handle any future towing,etc. Con- most expensive, worse ride, not great fuel economy

2013 SVT Raptor- Pro- some luxury, best ride, powerful, fun, more off-road capable
Con- just about as expensive as f350, fuel economy, smaller, less luxuriest

So here is the dilemma all, again, I know apples to oranges, let's hear your thoughts.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the Raptor I have a 2011 and love it. Buy a slightly bused one from the US and you'll save a ton I can help if you need it

Sent from my S4

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just made the switch from an FXR F-150 w/ the 5.0L V8.. Awesome truck, loved every minute i drove it - 82,000km when i traded in for a new F-350 Platinum.. By far the best truck i've ever had.. Super comfy, quiet, crazy amounts of power, high tech as all hell and as a commuter vehicle into downtown Cgy i found it super easy to maneuver around - big mirrors, sensors and cameras - you hit something it's absolutely cause your not paying attn. Driven a few raptors and they are lot's of fun, don't know much else about them..

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Get the Raptor I have a 2011 and love it. Buy a slightly bused one from the US and you'll save a ton I can help if you need it

Sent from my S4

Thanks Gord, if I decide to go that route I'll shoot you a PM. :)

Just made the switch from an FXR F-150 w/ the 5.0L V8.. Awesome truck, loved every minute i drove it - 82,000km when i traded in for a new F-350 Platinum.. By far the best truck i've ever had.. Super comfy, quiet, crazy amounts of power, high tech as all hell and as a commuter vehicle into downtown Cgy i found it super easy to maneuver around - big mirrors, sensors and cameras - you hit something it's absolutely cause your not paying attn. Driven a few raptors and they are lot's of fun, don't know much else about them..

Glad to hear you're happy with it, I test drove a 14 f350 platinum a few weeks ago and was impressed too. It felt pretty close to mine except the electronic steering and the new tech it has compared to my 08, but the ride felt the same. How much smoother of a ride did you're f150 feel? I'm pretty sure the platinums come stock with the rapid cab heater, how long does it take to get heat in the cab on cold mornings? My 08 takes forever to warm up.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The heat is instant on the new ford's. Love this feature, turns on even when you start it with remote. Have you thought about a F250? Love mine.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The heat is instant on the new ford's. Love this feature, turns on even when you start it with remote. Have you thought about a F250? Love mine.
I'm a Dodge man, but if you ask me I would go with the F350. The hell with expense you only live once, may as well go out in style.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not toward about expense. F250 rides a bit softer and I just put airbags in the back for when needed.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a done up one ton to a really nice 1/2t last fall. I love the 1/2t a lot. The odd time the one ton with a sled deck would have been way better but wasn't "required". Did my first oil change yesterday. Cost me $45 instead of $145-$210. Fuel is way cheaper now too. But my fuel economy sucks when towing. But for every day driving I like it.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the raptor. Only luxury it doesn't have that the platinum does, it my rear seats don't heat, and i don't have back up sensors..Love the 6.2 for power, and she soaks up any bumps and jumps i put her through. Only thing i don't like about her, is the shocks pitted easily, so i bought spares, and the skid plate bashes in on some hard landings, so i picked up a spare for there too. Tows my boat with out working, and is a freakin fun ride. :)

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a done up one ton to a really nice 1/2t last fall. I love the 1/2t a lot. The odd time the one ton with a sled deck would have been way better but wasn't "required". Did my first oil change yesterday. Cost me $45 instead of $145-$210. Fuel is way cheaper now too. But my fuel economy sucks when towing. But for every day driving I like it.

Where were you greeting diesel oil changes ? That's crazy
Price of diesel sure is getting stupid, have to get quite a bit better milage to make up for the difference now.
But can't compare diesel to gas for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're happy with it, I test drove a 14 f350 platinum a few weeks ago and was impressed too. It felt pretty close to mine except the electronic steering and the new tech it has compared to my 08, but the ride felt the same. How much smoother of a ride did you're f150 feel? I'm pretty sure the platinums come stock with the rapid cab heater, how long does it take to get heat in the cab on cold mornings? My 08 takes forever to warm up.[/QUOTE]

Overall the ride isn't too bad.. It's still a 1 ton - seats and position are super comfy.. The cracks in the highway and big whoops are substantially rougher.. As you head West on 43 into GP when you hit Bezanson the highway turns to a roller coaster - I had to slow at least an extra 20km/hr compared to my half ton to get thru.. Front end heavy so your getting bucked fwd.. Warms up super quick.. Heated steering wheel is a nice touch.. Diesel sure in an expensive by-product at 1.3O/l.. I bought the maintenance plan with it too, cover brakes, suspension, oil changes and maintenance, wiper blades..

Top Bottom