Winch tangled

horton213

Reaction score
HEy Guys,
My winch is all tangled up on the spool of my quad.. anyone know how to fix that? Do i have to take it all apart?
Thanks
Chris

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to reverse the winch and drive backwards to pull it out.Hook on your vehicle bumper.

Then change it to rope.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my winch so tangled up and crossed over itself from plowing snow I've had to cut it off with a grinder. Worst case scenario.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
tie it to a post then unlock the spool and then drive in reverse fast its hard and it sucks but it works

650XT

Reaction score
I've just hooked it up to my trailer hitch on the truck and put it in freespool and backed up. Just a warning - if it's really stuck, don't give it slack then gun it, otherwise the cable might snap back and you'll hurt yourself. (seen alot of it on youtube)

I've been tired of the cable bunching up on the spool myself, so I bought a synthetic cable off Ebay. Hope to put it on this weekend and put'er to good use! :)

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeay, you will need to pull the winch apart. Good news is that it's not really a big job if the winch is relatively easy to get off. Just did a Warn winch off of an Outlander 800 in under 30 mins. After you get it all unwound stretch it out and hook it to something solid for a while to get all the kinks out of it.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Sometimes you can back up with it in free spool,, sometimes you need to take the winch off, but most likely when you get it out, it will have kinks in it,, and now it will happen more often,,,,, best replace it,, allways keep the line tight when putting it back in,, make it spool from side to side......

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought 2 - 50' x 3/16" lines, and 2 aluminum hawse fairleads off Ebay. Shipped to my door was $142 for both.

Top Bottom