Winch cable vs synthetic rope

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ordered bluesteel rope from rope supply in red deer, $0.95 per foot, had to buy 500 ft though. good stuff just don't like abrasion.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get mine 3/16 Amsteel Blue from CND rope in Edmonton. $60 for a 50' rope with a really good swivel hook already attached. ...best deal I've been able to find.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/16" or 1/4" ?
I don't remember...I think it is just the 3/16. I've had rope on my last 4 quads...love it. Only broken when doing dumb stuff like dragging trees on the ground with rope wrapped around tree.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to properly tie it? I did like I do on rope for my crab and prawn traps and weaved the one end back into the braid, but I kind of think I did a chitty job to be honest! I can't tie a knot to save my life.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't remember...I think it is just the 3/16. I've had rope on my last 4 quads...love it. Only broken when doing dumb stuff like dragging trees on the ground with rope wrapped around tree.

So if its 3/16" a guy should be able to put more than 50' right?? Anyone know a place in Calgary?

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to properly tie it? I did like I do on rope for my crab and prawn traps and weaved the one end back into the braid, but I kind of think I did a chitty job to be honest! I can't tie a knot to save my life.

There's an app for that lol

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You never tie it - always splice or loop it properly by weaving it into itself. A knot will half the strength of your line, but a proper splice will leave you 90%+ of it's original strength. Here's a good link that explains how to do it: Long Bury Splice | How to Splice a hollow braid Rope | Splicing Knots

Last edited:

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/16" or 1/4" ?

My winch was going to come standard with only 40 feet of 1/4" but I had them changer to 50" of 3/16". If this stuff is so good we shouldn't need it thick enough for a tug boat to pull a barge!

Sent while using Tapatalk 2

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered from the guy daveb posted. Used my $21 in ebaybucks so pretty cheap. I ordered amsteel blue in red lol. By the way if you have any eBay bucks they expire at the end of the month.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366925359.324415.jpg

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say to use a hawse fairlead when you run synthetic. Anyone?

I changed mine to a Hawse fairlead. I have used the syn rope from Warn for 2 years and I have had line failures due to fraying ( from my plow use ). I change out the winch line every season to a warn red plow line and back again in the sping. It is easy t to fix a Syn rope when it does break. I will never go back to a wire cable again. The cable wears and breaks and frays as well . It is so much lighter and easier to work with. I use a short axle strap to hook to ( around a tree or bumper etc) and had no issues. I recommend this upgrade to anyone.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I break it somewhere I can splice the ends back together so I don't lose length ?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What will really help extend winch life is not wrapping it around trees. I have a 4? foot tow strap that I use to pull tree out of the bush or to pull myself out.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be good to go then! Where you order it from? In the future if you need a winch or the synthetic rope check out motoalliance.com they got good prices and super fast shipping. I got my 4000# winch with amsteel blue rope delivered for $360, and it showed up in less then two days!

I did order it from motoallinace, they were priced cheap and delivered to my door step for $80

Top Bottom