Winch cable vs synthetic rope

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to replace the winch line on my quad, I am not sure which one to go with. The quad mostly gets used around the farm and in the winter time has a 5 foot blade on it to push snow.

My concern is will the the synthetic rope hold up when the blade is on, or am I better off just to but another cable back on.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my take on the synthetic rope versus steel cable, the rope will not tollerate much abrasion, and needs a sleeve. otherwise it will break. it may be safer regarding the spring back effect, may be lighter, easier on bare hands etc. snowplow, u may want to use a strap rather than the syn rope.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the synthetic on mine and i have no problems with it other then when i lift the blade to high and it breaks ... just the same as the cable did but atleast you can retie the synthetic and keep going !!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at the rope since it came out many years ago for my winches. I don't think it is worth the extra cost. You can buy 4 steel cables for the price of the rope.

Wemac

Reaction score
I would use synthetic easier to work with. If you are using a plow then it would be wise to change the line out to a strap or a shorter piece of synthetic that you only use for plowing then put the longer one on for other riding. Rope is more expensive but if it breaks on a trail you can at least tie it and keep going.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Synthetic has to be handled differently, but it is so much better to deal with, especially pulling out and reeling in, no hidden wires to slice your hand to shreds. I have a short choker chain when I am grabbing wood out of the bush so as to no abrade the synthetic rope. It doesn't get rusty or full of junk. You can wash the synthetic stuff very easily. I would use a strap for your blade though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like synthetic rope. But I don't use it for plowing. But don't cheap out on the rope buy amsteele blue! You get it from super slings in Nisku and it's only about $90 for 50'. My brother had the warn winch rope and it was junk!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you find yourself using the winch a lot, I'd probably stray away from the synthetic.

I use my winch a hell of a lot and worry about evetually getting decapitated by a snapped steel cable, so I go synthetic. However for certain pulls, I'd definately prefer the peace of mind of a steel cable. ...like when I'm winching straight up the side of a hill or something where a cable failure would likely result in a totalled quad (or worse if I happened to be on it at the time).

canamgirl

Reaction score
I would for sure do synthetic!!
I have wire on my renengade which I also used this winter for plowing.. wire rope gets rusty, it jams, if you do mudding it sucks! Synthetic is awesome! and for plow rope I would use the small warn rope line (red) or something similar!!!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Northern Metalic in GP is where I picked mine up. 1/4" 50' 8000lbs rating for $85 + GST. To protect it better I will use a snatch block and sling for dead pulls. Stopper blocks are on both lines, mine and hers. I'm tired of wickers piercing my gloves :) :beer:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

tvdave

Reaction score
I have used both & would never have steel cable again. I use my rope to lift/lower my plow all the time and have not had any problems. I ordered mine off E-bay, cost me about $65 shipped to my mail box. I broke it once, because I did not realize my plow was all the way up & still had my thumb on the "in" button. just re-spliced it and was good to go again. worth every penny in my opinion.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I ordered amsteel blue rope today, can't wait to get and try it out.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say to use a hawse fairlead when you run synthetic. Anyone?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say to use a hawse fairlead when you run synthetic. Anyone?

Its recommended. But there is nothing saying you couldn't use a roller. You just run the risk of pinching the rope between the rollers

Sent while using Tapatalk 2

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to change the fairlead as well. Any scaring on the old rollers could fray the new rope.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be good to go then! Where you order it from? In the future if you need a winch or the synthetic rope check out motoalliance.com they got good prices and super fast shipping. I got my 4000# winch with amsteel blue rope delivered for $360, and it showed up in less then two days!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ordered through these guys a few times...no issues. I like the plastic UHMW fairleads...

Top Bottom