Wild Fires

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Northern Alberta

FIRE BAN AND OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE RESTRICTION IN EFFECT

A Fire Ban and Off-Highway Vehicle Restriction has been issued in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta for most of northern Alberta, including the Fort McMurray Forest Area south of Lake Athabasca, the Lac La Biche Forest Area, the northern regions of the Slave Lake Forest Area, most of the Peace River Forest Area and all of the High Level Forest Area.

All fire permits are suspended and no new fire permits will be issued.

Prohibited
• All open fires including campfires in campgrounds, backcountry and random camping areas and backyard fire pits.
• Charcoal briquettes, turkey fryers and tiki torches.
• Fireworks and exploding targets.
• The use of off-highway vehicles for recreational use on all public lands.

Allowed
• Portable propane fire pits that are CSA approved or UL certified.
• Gas or propane stoves and barbecues that are CSA approved or UL certified and are designed for cooking or heating.
• Catalytic or infrared-style heaters.
• OHVs for industrial use, agricultural use, and traditional use by Indigenous peoples, as well as use on private lands.

The Fire Ban and Off-Highway Vehicle Restriction will remain in effect until conditions improve.

Visit URL: - Change Remove
Preview​
CancelInsert

• CONTACT NUMBER
  • 1-866-394-3473
  • JURISDICTIONS
  • Northern Alberta Fire Ban and OHV 2019

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would be dangerous on a quad driving on the trails, wind blowing trees down, maybe a out of control fire.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were pretty close to the Edson fire.. they seemed to have it under control after a few hours and several water bombers. They were still running helicopter water bags today, but no visible smoke.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Town of High Level

Like This Page · 41 mins ·

The Town of High Level is now issuing an Evacuation Order for the town as of May 20, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Evacuations will be carried out by zones, within town limits. Residents are recommended to secure their residences (lock doors and windows) take any personal belongings (pets, identification, medication, small denomination of cash, etc).

There are limitations on luggage if you are using the provided bus transportation. Within your homes please ensure all fuel and gas appliances are shut off, and hot water tanks are turned down if able to.

The first Evacuation Zone to be evacuated will be Zone 6 (Yellow Zone on the Map Bellow) the Collection point for residents that are unable to self-evacuate is Sprit of the North Community School.

Duration of evacuation: Minimum 72 Hours. Be prepared to be away from home for at least 72 hours.

Recommended Evacuation Routes are Highway 58 East and Highway 88 South.

Evacuees are required to register upon arrival at the reception centre.

Limited Fuel will be available at Cha Gas Bar on Highway 58 East Range Road 162 and along the route south on Highway 88. (personal purchase)

Confirmed that Gas stations are open in Red Earth for additional Fuel (personal purchase).

The Reception centre location:
Slave Lake Legacy Centre
400 6 Ave NE
Slave Lake, AB
Phone: 780-843-5651.

Directions: Take Highway 88 south to Slave Lake, turn right on to Caribou Trail NW, follow Caribou Trail to 6 Ave NE, turn left and follow 6 Ave NE to the Wildfire Legacy Centre.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60723990_2160948933995420_1629090741869346816_o.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf is traditional native use?

OHVs for industrial use, agricultural use, and traditional use by Indigenous peoples, as well as use on private lands.

Hunting would be traditional use, but more likely it will be 8 of them on one quad heading to the liquor store,,, or going for darts...

They use them as transportation on the rez, they arent out camping and bogging if that makes you feel any better?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That brings things more into perspective.

Who gives a crap what the natives are doing with ATV's when that is going on in your back yard.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is headed up with his wildfire crew tonight.
He will send me updates.

It might be like Fort Mac and our department might get called to go also.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hope not.
A friend of mine is headed up with his wildfire crew tonight.
He will send me updates.

It might be like Fort Mac and our department might get called to go also.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were mistakes made in leadership and communication early on at the start of the fort mac fire. I hope we will never see a fire and a evacuation on that scale again.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends fire crew sent me this from High Level yesterday.
Looks very similar to what I was in in Fort Mac.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wow. I sure don't miss the bugs on the windshield!!

Lived 6 hours past High Level for 20 years and other than winter time, we had an ice cream pail full of soapy water with a 3M scratchy pad to clean the windshield and head lights.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. I sure don't miss the bugs on the windshield!!

Lived 6 hours past High Level for 20 years and other than winter time, we had an ice cream pail full of soapy water with a 3M scratchy pad to clean the windshield and head lights.

yes they can grow big.

This fire situation reminds me of Fort Mac when we arrived on the day people where evacuated. We driving in they driving out.
Fortunately here all the public have left except a few I heard refused.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends fire crew sent me this from High Level yesterday.
Looks very similar to what I was in in Fort Mac.

Yep that looks familiar, we were driving around with APR’s on in fort mac.
Id still like to know how the fire got so close to the work camps in the second evacuation.

Top Bottom