Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I now absolutely love the Baker skid but it did take a day of tweeking in Darrels shop to get it to ride like I wanted. With the original setup it would climb a cliff and there was no ski lift which took a lot of playfulness away and made for difficult sidehilling on more packed snow as well as hard steering. We changed the spring and adjusted the rear shock and Darrel gave me a little advice on how to mount my front shock which all combined has turned this sled into an all around awesome handling machine. It is amazing how his skid absorbes rough terrain on climbs and keeps you in control like nothing I have ever felt before, front skiis are no more than 6 inches off the snow but yet I now can boondock, catwalk, wheelie, whatever you want with no more effort than any other sled. This sled will absolutely go through the trees but I am not a great tree rider so I cannot brag about any wicked tree riding experience but you do feel the weight in this area forsure. I am very happy with my setup now and will be working on some clutching to get it dialled in as I am still 2-300 rpm low. I also did watch my gauges and with the 174 3 inch track with a stock setup other than a straight pipe I am achieving 54 mph track speed at 8800 rpm in about 2 feet of powder so I am happy with that as well but Niner is a little too close so I gotta tweek a little now ha ha.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I now absolutely love the Baker skid but it did take a day of tweeking in Darrels shop to get it to ride like I wanted. With the original setup it would climb a cliff and there was no ski lift which took a lot of playfulness away and made for difficult sidehilling on more packed snow as well as hard steering. We changed the spring and adjusted the rear shock and Darrel gave me a little advice on how to mount my front shock which all combined has turned this sled into an all around awesome handling machine. It is amazing how his skid absorbes rough terrain on climbs and keeps you in control like nothing I have ever felt before, front skiis are no more than 6 inches off the snow but yet I now can boondock, catwalk, wheelie, whatever you want with no more effort than any other sled. This sled will absolutely go through the trees but I am not a great tree rider so I cannot brag about any wicked tree riding experience but you do feel the weight in this area forsure. I am very happy with my setup now and will be working on some clutching to get it dialled in as I am still 2-300 rpm low. I also did watch my gauges and with the 174 3 inch track with a stock setup other than a straight pipe I am achieving 54 mph track speed at 8800 rpm in about 2 feet of powder so I am happy with that as well but Niner is a little too close so I gotta tweek a little now ha ha.

That is impressive track speed, I wonder what a box would do to your track speed numbers.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to check my track speed and RPM I’m pulling this time out. Just the stock 162 x 3.

But with clutching and stage 4 EVO. Curious what I’ll be pulling.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I haven't tried that with mine yet but that is pretty exceptional for a stock SW with a 174x3. No stock sled with that kind of track will give that type of track speed i'm sure. Maybe 45mph at most with any of the 800's but i think closer to 40mph.
My Nytro yield a solid 60-65mph with similar gearing and clutching as my SW. Except it had a 174x2.5" and the 240 kit. I'm expecting to see similar results as my Nytro with the 250 kit coming.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't tried that with mine yet but that is pretty exceptional for a stock SW with a 174x3. No stock sled with that kind of track will give that type of track speed i'm sure. Maybe 45mph at most with any of the 800's but i think closer to 40mph.
My Nytro yield a solid 60-65mph with similar gearing and clutching as my SW. Except it had a 174x2.5" and the 240 kit. I'm expecting to see similar results as my Nytro with the 250 kit coming.

I rode with Niner and Catman10. Both sleds work very well. Both are right at the 54-55 Mph track speed. To give a comparison, my modded Axys 174 2.8 will hold 44-45 mph track speed. So there sleds are quiet a bit faster. If the area is open i can't hang with them, but if the terrain get tight, short and steep they won't be able to follow me. LOL. We had a wicked time in the back of Allen. Cant wait for the next trip.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with Niner and Catman10. Both sleds work very well. Both are right at the 54-55 Mph track speed. To give a comparison, my modded Axys 174 2.8 will hold 44-45 mph track speed. So there sleds are quiet a bit faster. If the area is open i can't hang with them, but if the terrain get tight, short and steep they won't be able to follow me. LOL. We had a wicked time in the back of Allen. Cant wait for the next trip.

Kinda what I suspected from my experience but it sounds like i over estimated track speed for a stocker.
Your sled you say is modded, what would be your thought on a stocker with same track.
would you say closer to 40 or less?

niner, do you normally run 10lbs boost in your turbo or was this for the occasion?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone rent sidewinders? Im curious to try one for a day. Have thought about the demo days, but I would only do that if I were buying from that particular dealer. Not really fair to demo someones sled and then go shop around. Im a cheap bugger though so if I did buy one I would definitely be shopping around. Figured renting one for a day would be the best way.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone rent sidewinders? Im curious to try one for a day. Have thought about the demo days, but I would only do that if I were buying from that particular dealer. Not really fair to demo someones sled and then go shop around. Im a cheap bugger though so if I did buy one I would definitely be shopping around. Figured renting one for a day would be the best way.

I think Yamaha is doing the Power Tour again this year. Can try and find a location/date that works for you.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I suspected from my experience but it sounds like i over estimated track speed for a stocker.
Your sled you say is modded, what would be your thought on a stocker with same track.

niner, do you normally run 10lbs boost in your turbo or was this for the occasion?
Just started running 9-10 lbs this year with the new clutching I’m running. I don’t ride as much as I used too, so I figured when I do go I’m gonna have a good time. If I was a daily rider I would ride a stocker.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Yamaha is doing the Power Tour again this year. Can try and find a location/date that works for you.

I thought they were put on by individual dealerships? I would just feel bad taking the spot of a potential customer that was more likely going to buy from them. If I loved it I would still be shopping around hard, or even buying a used one. Im a cheapskate but still try to be as fair as I can.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

My Axys is a 2016 163 with a belt drive that i stretched to a 174. I geared it down to 2.59 with Kurts Polaris' gear down. I have some custom clutching as well. Im running a jaws pipe which made a big difference on the top end power. Greg said it dynoed 10 hp more at 8400 RPM. Which is where i have it clutched. When the sled was stock the best i would see was 38-39 mph track speed. Here is a video of the Axys pulling the same hill, keep in mind that I poached there track at the beginning. The turbos took the first lines and i followed.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they were put on by individual dealerships? I would just feel bad taking the spot of a potential customer that was more likely going to buy from them. If I loved it I would still be shopping around hard, or even buying a used one. Im a cheapskate but still try to be as fair as I can.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the power tour is Yamaha Corporate running around with a bigass trailer full of ‘Winders from place to place to promote the line.

feedback last year was exceptional from what I read!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. It,was an awesome day even if I was so sick I thought I was going to die.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the power tour is Yamaha Corporate running around with a bigass trailer full of ‘Winders from place to place to promote the line.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The fellow that operates the Power Tour works for Yamaha . The dealers are contacted if they want to participate for an event . The dealer organizes customers or potential buyers to spend the day on the SW . Jamey that runs the program is awesome and well versed . The best idea is to contact your local Yamaha dealer an inquire about the demo ride .

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what the dealers have told me they are, but no dates yet on Yamahas website for western Canada.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That tour definetly sold sleds last year.
Probably would have sold one more had I been able to make it to one of the dates last year. Really hoping to throw a leg over one this season, is prefer to rent but can't find any place that rents the Yam.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I bought my sidewinder after I went on the power tour because I was very impressed with the handling of the machine and of course it had a fantastic stock power. My machine now has definitely had a few modifications to the clutching (tightened rear spring), rear suspension(Baker Skid) and I am running a CR straight pipe as well as the 2018 venting in the hood and some additional venting out my side panel. I am also running a additive in my fuel that I feel is giving some definite positive results. I will be buying a set of adjustable primary weights so that I can get it to the perfect rpm. I am going to run my machine like this for this year so that these tunes that are out there get better before I install one, when Evo has thier map sensor added to the tune i will buy one. I am very happy with the way it's running right now because it takes a two stroke turbo running a crazy amount of boost to beat me and I love the reliabilty of this engine. I think that there will be more sidewinders on the hill in the future but it's gonna take some time for people to get over the supposed "heavy sled stima", ride one of these machines and find out for yourself!

Top Bottom