Why not Vi-Pec

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the talk about who's turbo setup works best and why I have never heard of anybody using a Vi-Pec ECU replacement. I believe it is only available for the Polaris but I could be wrong. Power Commander is also coming out with a new controller for turbo setups. Vi-pec and Power Commander, to my knowledge are the only ones that can take fuel away from the fuel map. Where as Dobeck or Boost it can only add fuel.

Has anybody used a Vi-Pec or been around one? There is a few videos out there but nothing to show as to how the really work.

What are your thoughts. I really would like Niel to give his opinion here as he would seem to have a good product out right now both in the turbo set up and fuel controller.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really can't put the vi-pic in the same class as the rest of the fuelling systems out there.
The vi-pec is a stand a lone, the rest are piggy backed off the stock ECM, also the vi-pec has full control over all the engine functions of the engine, timing, deto control, up to 6D fuelling mapping, and on.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my vipec today and will be using it on my pro with the 910 I will have info soon.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one also ,
as I found out that I could not buy a digital wrench with all the hook ups ,
only a Polaris dealer can own this ,
but the vi pec sounds like the way to go and u can really fix every thing at home and only load
ur sled when ur going to the mountains with full confidence that its all set right

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My why not to vipec is: The complexity of tuning the ignition side of an engine, is well beyond the average user. When I see how much issue people have with just getting to control the fuel side of things, I see why guys like NM only do installs, and don't offer just the box for sale.

Standalone ecu's have been available for years, vipec is just the first to push them to sleds.

As has been quoted many times before "With great power, comes great responsibility" most people would be lost when just confronted with the options in what you can adjust.

Now before someone goes and says they heard me say this is a bad thing, I think it is a marvelous thing, but I also see a lot of growing pains with it. While my green yellow red and blue led's get the job sort of done, it is a long way off from a 32X32 timing map with a tenth of a degree adjustability based on load, boost, rpm, coolant temp, air temp, altitude, ect... With a good tuner on a dyno, this will bring a whole new power level to pump gas, and race gas a like. Just don't expect to be able to unlock it all from your garage. This is sort of like the phrase "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" except "If you have to ask, you probably can't tune it, or get the most out of it". Fortunately you can always pay someone to tune it.

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My why not to vipec is: The complexity of tuning the ignition side of an engine, is well beyond the average user. When I see how much issue people have with just getting to control the fuel side of things, I see why guys like NM only do installs, and don't offer just the box for sale.

Standalone ecu's have been available for years, vipec is just the first to push them to sleds.

As has been quoted many times before "With great power, comes great responsibility" most people would be lost when just confronted with the options in what you can adjust.

Now before someone goes and says they heard me say this is a bad thing, I think it is a marvelous thing, but I also see a lot of growing pains with it. While my green yellow red and blue led's get the job sort of done, it is a long way off from a 32X32 timing map with a tenth of a degree adjustability based on load, boost, rpm, coolant temp, air temp, altitude, ect... With a good tuner on a dyno, this will bring a whole new power level to pump gas, and race gas a like. Just don't expect to be able to unlock it all from your garage. This is sort of like the phrase "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" except "If you have to ask, you probably can't tune it, or get the most out of it". Fortunately you can always pay someone to tune it.

Thanks for the post and I'm going to be to first to say I agree with you. The Vi-Pec does not look simple in the least but why if it is so much better are we F@#$ing around with cheap inferior piggyback controllers when suppliers of turbo kits or motors could in fact offer a better product. I sounds to me if I can spend the money to make somebody's product better by spending money on a better controller or ECM why doesn't the original builder. I guess I can live with the fact its not offered in a build right now so back to anybody who has first hand experience. What did you put it on? Who tuned it you somebody else?

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not rocket science
it comes with stock setting to start with and others
ur chose what u want or just leave stock and ride and have
full control
not the $8 buck mechanic at the stealer

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$2195 is list price
And comes with all tuning software + support

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
With all the talk about who's turbo setup works best and why I have never heard of anybody using a Vi-Pec ECU replacement. I believe it is only available for the Polaris but I could be wrong. Power Commander is also coming out with a new controller for turbo setups. Vi-pec and Power Commander, to my knowledge are the only ones that can take fuel away from the fuel map. Where as Dobeck or Boost it can only add fuel.

Has anybody used a Vi-Pec or been around one? There is a few videos out there but nothing to show as to how the really work.

What are your thoughts. I really would like Niel to give his opinion here as he would seem to have a good product out right now both in the turbo set up and fuel controller.
I am not going to comment until I see them run an entire season. I am getting plenty of feedback from people who are either riding them or riding with someone that owns them. I also am getting feedback from a dealer that sells them.
Let me put it this way. You don't here too many people bragging about it yet, and there are more out there on sleds then most people think. One ride in so so snow is not a real world testament. An entire season of 1500 or more miles in the mountains is a good cross section of how it works.

I personally would know the tuning of that system inside and out before I would install it on anything I ride. There is no way I am losing riding time because my sled won't run. There are some guys on this site that have standalones and they know the risks.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from getting one though. If you think it's for you then by all means get one.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im working with Brad and Cody Phillips, Cody is the man when it comes to the vipec. The best thing about this is Cody can login remote and tune from were he is. It also has a quick tune were you can set target A/F and it will keep it in tune. I should have it on and set up by the end of the weekend, there is already a map for the 910 so I start with that and then I take the sled out and it logs everything and then cody hooks up and does any adjusting. On the 910 brad added +1 degree timing at about 7400 and it made a 7 hp gain. Just the vipec alone on a 13 pro will pick up 8 hp.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post and I'm going to be to first to say I agree with you. The Vi-Pec does not look simple in the least but why if it is so much better are we F@#$ing around with cheap inferior piggyback controllers when suppliers of turbo kits or motors could in fact offer a better product. I sounds to me if I can spend the money to make somebody's product better by spending money on a better controller or ECM why doesn't the original builder. I guess I can live with the fact its not offered in a build right now so back to anybody who has first hand experience. What did you put it on? Who tuned it you somebody else?

I have run many different brands of standalones, and zero of them on sleds. Race cars, street cars, off road trucks, and even diesel drag trucks. I would say I am more comfortable with them then most people, but my abilities as a tuner are amateur at best.

The reason we are still playing around with piggyback controllers, is that they are easy, straight forward, cheap and they work. They are not ideal, but as NM pointed out most of us will give up "ideal" for something that works and lets us have more days on the mountain. I have long thought about putting a microsquirt setup on my sled, but at the end of the day, I am not sure I want that headache. There is a good chance some summer I will be bored and do it, but it will be more for the learning experience then the result.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.... On the 910 brad added +1 degree timing at about 7400 and it made a 7 hp gain. Just the vipec alone on a 13 pro will pick up 8 hp.

This is not surprising at all, I am sure there is at least 8hp in any modern sled with some ignition tuning, the manufacturer is forced to balance Emissions, longevity/warranty, and power. The aftermarket doesn't have these constraints. While 7hp is a nice gain for 1 degree, I bet there will be some turbo sleds that see more like 25hp.

I am glad there are people with the expendable income to test this stuff out, as it will help to continue to progress this forward. At this point I am just going to continue to be an armchair qb in the standalone sled arena.

geo

Reaction score
Vipec would seperate the real tuners from the rest.

Price will never let it happen like it should.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...Price will never let it happen like it should.

I disagree here, $2500 in sled mods seems to be common place, and in the world of standalones outside of the mega/microsquirts, that is really quite affordable. Ask the guys running Motec how much it cost them. Compared to what we are forced to run in the diesel world that is an out right bargain, systems for us start at about $6k with zero support, and go up to almost $20k still with zero support. I was certain no one would dare try them and yet more and more I see them. As vipec gets more competition, the price will come down some, and as the technology becomes more mainstream (in the sled market) more people will be willing to spend that kind of money on it.

Hopefully the OEM's will catch on and sell unlocked ecu's out of their race divisions. Those are typically the best, as all of the original information is there, and then you expand upon it.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree here, $2500 in sled mods seems to be common place, and in the world of standalones outside of the mega/microsquirts, that is really quite affordable. Ask the guys running Motec how much it cost them. Compared to what we are forced to run in the diesel world that is an out right bargain, systems for us start at about $6k with zero support, and go up to almost $20k still with zero support. I was certain no one would dare try them and yet more and more I see them. As vipec gets more competition, the price will come down some, and as the technology becomes more mainstream (in the sled market) more people will be willing to spend that kind of money on it.

Hopefully the OEM's will catch on and sell unlocked ecu's out of their race divisions. Those are typically the best, as all of the original information is there, and then you expand upon it.

I agree with ya, I was one of the ones who bought a motec for my 1200 xp turbo, so far I would never go back to a piggy back system. Throttle response is amazing and the tuning you can do is great, many options you can get as well if you like. It is pricy but i truly believe u get what you pay for I think. JMO

Top Bottom