why is my 2008 xp 800R going through over a quart of oil for one little ride?

069xp800r

Reaction score
My sled needs oil all the time. Is it just my sled or are there other people dealing with this? How could I adjust it to be more conservative on oil? I am getting tired of burning my money on oil!! Could someone post a link to a video of adjusting the oil feed?

Please give me feed back......

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if you can locate the oil pump and see if it is hooked up my 07 xrs was the same way and the cable broke and goes wide open. Replaced throttle cable and all good now.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 burns about half the tank of oil in a 3 hr ride. It is perfect and doesnt smoke, and I am happy with the oil consumption as too little oil is a disaster. Is your smoking excess or why do you say its using too much oil?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if you can locate the oil pump and see if it is hooked up my 07 xrs was the same way and the cable broke and goes wide open. Replaced throttle cable and all good now.
^^what he said. the '08 XP has a bad rub on the cable where it comes out of the sheath. at 1300 miles mine was hanging by 2 or 3 strands. I would bet the cable broke and as rsaint said, it pours the oil to 'er as the arm goes to full open. mine burns just under a half tank of oil to a full tank of fuel.

here is the page from the manual on oil cable adjustment

oilcable.jpg

Rek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only problem that you have is you just got to clean out the carbs with some brake cleaner and then make sure you run the most expensive oil so it will clean all the old junky oil out if you were using crappy oil in the first place and finally you need to just do a re jetting and buddy you will be saving alot more money and be a lot happier man!:cool: cheers!:beer:

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about u guys but even a half a tank of oil to one tank of fuel seems excessive, I have a 08 800xp and burn about a quarter tank of oil to a tank of fuel! It now has 1800 miles on the sled!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine will go 1/2 tank of oil to full tank of gas with extra 10 l jerry in.

from my HTC

Top Bottom