Whtie Fish Montana

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am headed down south (Bozeman area) this weekend, where they got 3 feet of pow in the hills :)

Have I told you lately.......that you pizz me OFF!!!:nono:

:hi: Just kidding, I hope you had a great SAFE ride. Send me pics.

Are you coming boating this summer?

MTdream

Reaction score
will post pics as soon as I get them off camera...got home late...am crispy FRIED from too much sun...played in some areas we have not played in for years and years...

You guys need to do Christmas down here again...we can just crash at Steves place...small family gathering versus the shindig last time...

when you see the pics from this weekend, you will DROOL to ride here...had forgotten how great buck creek was...

holler when you know your going boating...we will try and work it out...

MTdream

Reaction score
Here are a few from down around Bozeman/West Yellowstone...

Sledgirl, if these dont make you hate me... :)

IMG_4020Medium.jpg

IMG_4023Medium.jpg

IMG_4029Medium.jpg

IMG_4026Medium.jpg

IMG_4028Medium.jpg

IMG_4030Medium.jpg

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys need to do Christmas down here again...we can just crash at Steves place...small family gathering versus the shindig last time...

holler when you know your going boating...we will try and work it out...

That was a big crowd in West Yellowstone. Revy and China Basin were better sized groups. Fernie is halfway, though!

MTdream

Reaction score
That was a big crowd in West Yellowstone. Revy and China Basin were better sized groups. Fernie is halfway, though!

Fernie is only an hour and half from my house...we can just stay here...and go up there for the day for a ride...hook up with Doug...and then come down and ride the locales here...and some of the new ones our crew has been showing me....great places!!!

ross

Reaction score
Watsup. White Fish
I just got back fron the Thunderstruck Premier yesterday at Spokane. Not much to talk
about this year... If any of Ya get down to Missoula and need a guide or some direction
drop me a line. Im in the snow every weekend. Lolo, Survayer, Seeley, exct.

tamsy

Reaction score
Is anyone riding graves yet?? Snow conditions this year? Looking to get down there soon

MTdream

Reaction score
Is anyone riding graves yet?? Snow conditions this year? Looking to get down there soon

yes a good number are in Graves...NSow is a little lighter than same time last year, but if last few years are any indication, sledding got REALLY good about mid february last year, and didnt stop till mid-April...

martincc

Reaction score
Bringing a thread back from the dead.. anyone have any info of where to ride and stage close to the ski hill? Couple Canadians.. plan to leave some firends at the skihill and ride.. meet for lunch then ride some more... any maps or directions to where we can ride and still get to the hill for lunch?

I have the forrest service map.. but doesnt look like much legal riding from the backside of the hill.

Will we need trail passes or something?

If anyone has gps maps that woluld be amazing. Thanks!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Bringing a thread back from the dead.. anyone have any info of where to ride and stage close to the ski hill? Couple Canadians.. plan to leave some firends at the skihill and ride.. meet for lunch then ride some more... any maps or directions to where we can ride and still get to the hill for lunch?

I have the forrest service map.. but doesnt look like much legal riding from the backside of the hill.

Will we need trail passes or something?

If anyone has gps maps that woluld be amazing. Thanks!

I cant answer your question, other than this...I know you can ride up the back of the ski hill and park right at the Summit House to meet your buddies for lunch. I dont know HOW you get there as my wife wont let me take my sled when we ski LOL...

I just look longingly at the other sledders...Oh well had a great time skiing...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Closest and easiest place to stage is at Canyon Creek. It has a huge parking area. Take Hwy 486 north from Columbia Falls. (Turn north off highway 2 by the Stihl dealer or Montana Coffee house). This is the North Fork Road. Staging area is about 5 miles up the road on the left side. There is a sign along the road indicating where to turn. Another staging area is at the north end of Whitefish Lake. Take the road toward the ski hill but continue straight on that road (East Lakeshore Dr) instead of turning to ski hill. Staging area is on the right off that road. It is quite a narrow twisty road. Another staging area is at Olney which is 18 miles north of Whitefish on highway 93. All the staging areas access the trail system and will get you to Big Mountain Ski Resort.
You need a non-resident trail permit which cost $25. We picked ours up in Eureka at the Northwest Sports Center.
We got checked by the Flathead Forest Rangers (or whatever they call themselves) one day for permits so make sure you get one for each sled. They also said we were supposed to have a State Land use license too which we didn't have but let us go. I looked it up after we got home and it looks like it is $10 and it is not part of the non-resident snowmobile permit. I don't know if you can buy them at the same place as the trail permit or not. The vendor in Eureka didn't mention having to buy one.

martincc

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info! Are there off trail areas to ride close to the hill as well like in the trees or some alpine, climbs etc?

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

keener

Reaction score
Going to bring this thread back up again....

Im heading to whitefish with a couple friends this weekend, but they don't sled. I've always wanted to try sledding down there. Is anyone from this site going to be out there this weekend? Maybe you'd let a canadian sledder tag along?

hilinerider

Reaction score
had a group from here ride last weekend, not alot of base, bent some iron

Lukekendze

Reaction score
ya we go down every year. there is alot of sledding back in there. if you go to the sled rental shop in white fish or just call them. they can give you all the info needed.

ehr308

Reaction score
Can Any one give the latest snow conditions around Whitefish. Looking to drive down in a couple of weeks. Is there snow? How are the trails? Thanks in advance.:eek:

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked to a guy at the motorbike show in calgary yesterday from whitefish no snow he said they would drive to idaho were there is more snow he said it rained 3-4 days in the whitefish area and killed the snow they had

groomergirl

Reaction score
We are heading to Whitefish this weekend for family day. Any snow there now? Also wondering about taking the sleds across the border. Does each sled need insurance and registration? I know it is required in Alberta, I am just not sure if everyone in our group has got their's yet?
Thanks.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
We are heading to Whitefish this weekend for family day. Any snow there now? Also wondering about taking the sleds across the border. Does each sled need insurance and registration? I know it is required in Alberta, I am just not sure if everyone in our group has got their's yet?
Thanks.

GroomerGirl,

I take mine back and forth all the time. They have asked if the sleds are registerd upon entering the US but they have never checked anything short of lifting the cover a bit. Make sure you bring your paper work with you for when you return, that's the time they check and cause you delays (BOS and registration). Both mine are registered but I only have one plate mounted, just carry the other with me. You do need to get a non-resiident trail pass. They SHOULD be available now at Northern Sports in Eureka, however, we had to get ours at the Forestry Service office in Kalispell at Xmas this year. ($50 for two sleds). We took the sleds up Whitefish Mountain to meet our kids and some friends for lunch and we did get checked for the trail passes by a CO. Given we don't register or have memberships in the local snowmobile clubs, it's a bargin and thay have beautiful places to stage and ride down there.

Top Bottom