Whtie Fish Montana

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are planing a trip down there this winter, my parents used to ski down there. Now they are in to sleding so they want to try it out, they are going to bring me along to be there stuck bi&*h .

Barster

Reaction score
Went to Whitefish Jan 11 to Jan 14/09 with Bugzz. Rode for two days behind Big Mnt Ski Hill. We staged at Canyon Staging Area, afew miles North of Columbia Falls (on Hwy 486). We rode the same area for both days because a late start on day one prevented us from seeing the whole area. There was a great base of about seven feet of fairly heavy snow. Recent warm weather and some rain had settled the deep baseless powder. So the next snowfall should be epic! The weather was great for us with lots of sunny periods and little fog. Apparently this area can sock in for days.
For us two roockies the heavier snow made it possible to go pretty much anywhere we wanted with only afew stucks.

The burger and beer at the top of the ski hill added a nice touch to the trip. This would be a great place for the family trip. The trail leads right to the top of the ski hill, with lots of play areas in between. We were told of sno mo spots in the area that are more advanced. Ten lakes, which in North up Graves Creek Road, afew miles East of Eureka, is one that we will do next trip. So you could take the family to the top of Big Mnt one day, and off to somewhere more advanced the next day. With $1.25 for a beer (happy hour at Blue Moon, between Whitefish and Columbia Falls) and never more then $2.25 anywhere, $68 for a decent hotel, filled a 5 gallon gerry can with premium for $8.50, I would say it is a great place for a sno mo trip.

One word of caution though, the lure of all the cool little bars in Whitefish can make for a late night (3AM) and then a late start the next day on the sled (ouch!!!).

We had no trouble at the border either way, but make sure all of your papers are in order on your sled. They did ask for them on the Canada side.

Barster

Reaction score
P1120010.jpg

P1130019.jpg

P1130018.jpg

P1130017.jpg

P1130020.jpg

P1130016.jpg

P1120012.jpg

GRD

Reaction score
Where is home for you? How long of a drive for Calgary?

Barster

Reaction score
Five hrs from calgary and no major passes. just the crowsnest wind to deal with. from Cochrane

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the pics, looks like good snow, are they having avy issues there?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks and sounds like an absolute blast. So about 8hrs from Edmonton to staging area? I take it you stayed in Whitefish? I'll have to give this some serious consideration. I wonder how the snow is in March?

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow is usually awesome in March there with way more sunny days. (they get socked in alot of the time) I think all riding however gets shut down April.1 every year due to the grizzly bears wakin up, so take this into consideration if planning a trip to the flathead valley.
That ride area behind the ski hill is called Canyon-Creek. They are in the same snowbelt as Fernie and most years get more snow than Fernie does!
You can always check conditions in Canyon via the ski hill website:

Whitefish is an easy 8 hours from Edmonton. Great town too for nightlife. Make sure to stop in the Bulldog Saloon and Great Northern for beers.
I stay at Tamarack Lodge when im done there sledding. These guys are sledders themselves and have awesome newer cabins at great rates. They are 25 minutes from Canyon parking lot and about an hour from a secret monster ride area called 'Skyland'........... i've already said too much...!

Historic Tamarack Lodge~Glacier National Park~Montana Lodging

SledheadMT

Reaction score
The North Fork of the Flathead is one of my favorite zones to play in. The backside of Big Mountain (now Whitefish Mtn Resort). You can ride to the summit house from Canyon Creek, but honestly there is not much (legal) area to ride in that area, and there are 3 avalanche shhots that the trail runs through, one of which kills someone every couple of years. Mcginnis Cr. and Big Cr. just up the road from canyon dreek offer alot more play areas. The pics posted from "china basin" are accessed off of the big creek road. I would be happy to let anyone know the sweet spots in this area if you are interested. Someone also mentioned Marias pass, access is near Essex, MT and is called Skyland Road. Awesome wind blown cornices and drifts, huge area and lots of powder usually. Therriault Lakes near Eureka accessed through graves cr. is awesome as well. Lots of steep rocky shoots. Team thunderstruck has filmed in all of these areas. Happy sleddin'!

MTdream

Reaction score
wow, had not seen this thread...

Sorry guys, I am a whitefish person...

have tons of pics...I am the one that took sledgirl and her hubby into the backcountry...few more pics of our backcountry sledding here...

welcome any of my canadian friends down here!!

CIMG0850Medium.jpg

backgroundMedium.jpg

DSC00018Medium.jpg

AlFreshpow.jpg

sledgirlnhubbycarvinpowMedium.jpg

DSC00010Medium.jpg

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, had not seen this thread...

Sorry guys, I am a whitefish person...

have tons of pics...I am the one that took sledgirl and her hubby into the backcountry...few more pics of our backcountry sledding here...

welcome any of my canadian friends down here!!

Is the snow still good down there? If so...how long do you think the season will last? TIA...

MTdream

Reaction score
Is the snow still good down there? If so...how long do you think the season will last? TIA...

Canyon Creek is shut down...but most other areas are still open...snow is not powder but still more than ridable...most trails in to places are pretty hammered as grooming has stopped...

I am headed down south (Bozeman area) this weekend, where they got 3 feet of pow in the hills :)

Top Bottom