Whtie Fish Montana

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has Any One Rode Off The Backside Of Big Mt Ski Resort. I Know That People Do Sled Into The Back Country From The Ski Resort. When I Snowboarded Years Ago We Would See Sleds Parked At The Top Of The Mt And Sledders In The Bar/resterant At The Top, They Would Ride Into The Back Country From There.riding The Chairlift Lift You Would Sometimes Hear Sleds Way Back In The Hills.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Coool

I NEVER KNEW THAT, AND I SKIIED THERE A FEW TIMES. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE ABOUT SLEDDIN' THAT BACK COUNTRY TOO. MUST BE A LINK SOMEWHERE??:confused: THEY GET LOTS OF SNOW AND ITS NEVER TOO COLD.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
white fish

Only 8.5 hours from edmonton, that might be a good longweekend adventure as long as all can get into the U.S.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow

They Get Almost As Much Snow As Revy. The Conditions Are Socked In Alot, But Lots Of Snow

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in Kalispell that would know about the back of the ski hill. Last year at Christmas a group of us went into an area past Columbia Falls called China Basin, for a great day's riding.
Here's a few pics...
HPIM0428-1.jpg

HPIM0436-2.jpg

HPIM0433.jpg

HPIM0429.jpg

HPIM0470.jpg

HPIM0443.jpg

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We went there one year and drove up the backside of the ski hill and had lunch at the top of the hill in the lodge. It was so foggy we never had a chance to see any view or even get off the trails. It is nice to see you had very good weather for your trip and took some nice pics.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down there on ski trip family day long weekend and rented sleds and a guide from Winterwonderland one day to break up skiing. We rode in the Whitefish range north of the 'fish 20 miles in a town called Olney. Staged in the area called Stryker Loop? (i think its called that.....)
They have already got 105% of their annual avg snowfall with more to come !
It was a really nice day, clear as could be. The guide said maybe 2 days a month were like that otherwise its like Glen said, always socked in. ALthough they do get inversions quite a bit. The riding was awesome, with amazing views of the flathead valley

I heard the best area to ride is in the Marias Pass on the divide down there. ABout 80 Miles south of Whitefish. Easy drive if your coming from the prairie side of Montana south of Alberta.
There are a few other companies that do rentals and guide service for fairly cheap. We rented 2003 RMK iq's for $165/day plus gas and the guide was $125 for the day split between 2 guys. Cheap !
Im going down again for Easter

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info it would be cool to go there during a long weekend i guess all would have to bring passports now right.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pic's from my Easter sled trip to in and around Whitefish. 1st one was taken at the top of the Big Mountain ski hill. You can ride up to the summit house from the Canyon Creek area.

The 2nd picture of the burnt forest was taken in area called 'skyland' on the continental divide. Staging area is 5200ft. The whole area was absolutely ENDLESS with only 8 other riders there that day that we saw. Skyland is only a 7 hour drive from Edmonton at most; all prairie driving except the last 20 miles. WE WILL BE BACK!

3rd pic was taken in a play area called 'The rock garden' riding up in Olney,Mt
4th was taken in the same area up in Olney,Mt looking down into the Flathead Valley.

:patriot:

Attachments

• Montana Sled Trip 004.jpg
    Montana Sled Trip 004.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Montana Sled Trip 006.jpg
    Montana Sled Trip 006.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Montana Sled Trip 009.jpg
    Montana Sled Trip 009.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Montana Sled Trip 011.jpg
    Montana Sled Trip 011.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 294

Clinebo

Reaction score
Check the SnoWest.com website for more info. Also look into new rules for snowmobile use...my friends up there tell me the Forest Service is closing some areas and changing the dates on use in others. Be informed!

Top Bottom