Who fixes dented pipes/Calgary

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who do you recommend to fix a dented in pipe for my summit 800?

How bad of a dent? If you want to come by my place we might be able to pull it out. Otherwise, its good and cold outside, put a plate on one end, fill it with water and as it freezes it will expand and push the dent out.

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try filling it up with water and wrap a towel around the dent and let it freez DON'T PLUG THE ENDS!Buddy of my just did his and it turned out not bad. Worth a shot IMO. Good luck!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try filling it up with water and wrap a towel around the dent and let it freez DON'T PLUG THE ENDS!Buddy of my just did his and it turned out not bad. Worth a shot IMO. Good luck!

LOL no, plug one end only, otherwise you will blow the seams. You can't plug both ends. if the dent is in the middle of the pipe, only fill it up half way (past the dent).

PM me if you need more info.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i found usin a plastic bag on both ends full of water and elastics holding them worked the best ,also the towel around the dent

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
Good info, I'll try this freezing trick. I hit a tree and pushed in the very front about 2.5"s and it's about 6"s wide, so it's a good sized dent.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
well, I'm going to say that this whole freezing idea is nothing but a bunch of he said, she said bull chit. i think it is a lot of people reading these ideas and then just turning around and becoming a parrot...nobody's actually made it work cause I'm telling you it doesn't work. I bought a new pipe off of Kijiji for $100 and just swapped it out.

hopper146

Reaction score
Could do it the same way you do Headers....air pressure and a torch....pressure it up and heat the area...no big deal....

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WTF does a towel do? Can't believe some of the stupid crap on the internet.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
well, I'm going to say that this whole freezing idea is nothing but a bunch of he said, she said bull chit. i think it is a lot of people reading these ideas and then just turning around and becoming a parrot...nobody's actually made it work cause I'm telling you it doesn't work. I bought a new pipe off of Kijiji for $100 and just swapped it out.

The theory seems sound. The physics of water freezing/thawing is pretty simple if one relates to a pop/beer bottle. When the liquid/water freezes it does just that and contracts. When that same liquid thaws, it expands and breaks the bottle. This is where "the push" has to come from; the thawing process. Modman, has some great tricks and ideas and has been there, done that, and has several T-shirts. There is a reason why he said, "Pm me for more information."

Seriously, I like the way you came back an told your story. I got a chuckle out it. I think the process would work but what doo I know, eh!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I must be pretty fawking amazing then cause I have been doing this for years on my dirtbikes and it works. I have never used a towel and I always use a deep freeze and check on it often. This doesn't work on ALL dents.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How did you do it? freeze/thawing can frost jack tons of rock apart but doesn't have enough pressure to push your dent out?

sure, whatever you say....its pure BS, you should see my multi-coloured tail feathers, squawk. go put a can of coke in the freezer and tell me what it looks like in about 24 hours if it hasn't exploded. squawk squawk

hopper146

Reaction score
Actually, If my chem. hasn't gotten too rusty. I believe water is the only liquid that has the physical property of expanding when it freezes, all other liquids contract...but then again....my beer can did seem much larger on the last ride.......

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get this back on track there is obviously a proper way to do this. I believe it would work. If anyone who has done it would care to give the procedure it may help someone in the future. Do you fill it partially full and plug both ends or fill it totally full and plug one end? How do you position it when you freeze it? Just curious in case I ever need to try it myself.
Thanks.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut it right out and pound out the dent then put it back in and weld it.
And I don't live in Calgary. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't you use those pins that weld on and use a automotive dent puller?

I googled it and people are using dry ice to pull out dents too??? Weird

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be pretty fawking amazing then cause I have been doing this for years on my dirtbikes and it works. I have never used a towel and I always use a deep freeze and check on it often. This doesn't work on ALL dents.

I'm going to have to hightlight your check often comment I split the seem on my dirt bike pipe I thought theres no way its going to work and checked the freezer a couple of times than go to get my pipe after a long time, dent was gone and I spilt the weld apart.(had to get new pipe)

Tried again next dented pipe and checked it every 5 minutes after the first hour and bingo no dent! Dent was about a half a tennis ball size. I think it took around 3.5 hours didnt time it exact but I remember it took all evening. I filled it full and taped both ends with electrial tape stood pipe upright(taped ends up) in freezer. I think outside would work but it would have to be really cold or it would take forever.imo
IT DOES WORK I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND no parrot here:beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'm going to have to hightlight your check often comment I split the seem on my dirt bike pipe I thought theres no way its going to work and checked the freezer a couple of times than go to get my pipe after a long time, dent was gone and I spilt the weld apart.(had to get new pipe)

Tried again next dented pipe and checked it every 5 minutes after the first hour and bingo no dent! Dent was about a half a tennis ball size. I think it took around 3.5 hours didnt time it exact but I remember it took all evening. I filled it full and taped both ends with electrial tape stood pipe upright(taped ends up) in freezer. I think outside would work but it would have to be really cold or it would take forever.imo
IT DOES WORK I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND no parrot here:beer:

Yes you have to check on it often. You can go from no dent to split in about 30 minutes or less

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if you want to freeze it go ahead. It took me a total of an hour to do mine and I was back up and running. And I guess you can use a dent puller as well if you have one. I just used what I had.

Sent from my iPhone

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
To get this back on track there is obviously a proper way to do this. I believe it would work. If anyone who has done it would care to give the procedure it may help someone in the future. Do you fill it partially full and plug both ends or fill it totally full and plug one end? How do you position it when you freeze it? Just curious in case I ever need to try it myself.
Thanks.
I have found that it doesn't matter if you plug the ends or not. Once you fill it with water and put it in the deep freeze, the water in the smaller part of the pipe will freeze solid first creating their own plugs. Once the larger portion of the pipe starts to freeze the expansion of the ice will remove the dent and split the pipe if not Removed right away. I then put the pipe in the bath tub to thaw. I have never done a sled exhaust but it would work the same way as a bike I'm sure. I have no idea why you would wrap a towel around it??

Top Bottom