Who carries a spare shovel on their tunnel?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why Shovel? Pull your sled over on its side, boot pack under the track and your good to go. About the only time I ever pull out my shovel is if someone finds a creek.

listen to this ^^^^ I agree 100%.... on the flat's it works and if its steeper its even easier boot pack and roll takes no time at all and way less effort but hey Im usually stuck where no one will help so ya figure it out after a while lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the pull sled over and snow stomp does work, but have still needed shovel to clear path in the front. most times the shovel is still easier.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you store your shovel on your sled and get in Avalanche your as good as dead!
Don't know any one who can dig them selves out of an Avalanche.....LMAO The Shovel is for digging your friends out.....

snowbuster

Reaction score
I pop riveted a 1' long piece of 11/4" abs pipe to the lid of my powder keg hard tunnel storage bin, and can snap off the shovel with the blade of the shovel still attached. No bunje cords and gloves stay on. Only problem is I am the first one digging every time a buddy gets stuck because they are still fumbling around unpacking their gear to get their shovels out. I have another shovel with the safety gear in my avy pack, never have used it and hope to not need it.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pop riveted a 1' long piece of 11/4" abs pipe to the lid of my powder keg hard tunnel storage bin, and can snap off the shovel with the blade of the shovel still attached. No bunje cords and gloves stay on. Only problem is I am the first one digging every time a buddy gets stuck because they are still fumbling around unpacking their gear to get their shovels out. I have another shovel with the safety gear in my avy pack, never have used it and hope to not need it.

This got me thinking. Im going to run two aluminum 1" square bars across my tunnel in my t slots like a roof rack and pop rivet some shovel mounts to them like koplin mounts for a atv rack or ones for a suv roof rack then run my shovel in that, and run another set for a hatchet or something.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to build a shovel holder on my hood that's integrated. I hate having to much weight on the back end, especially bags. I hate boat anchors. Love the sled to float not trench.

jaredvh

Reaction score
Did anybody see the shovel mount that Lacustoms out of Edmonton was selling at the sled show? It was a little limited as to what it would fit but was a pretty nifty setup. It used UHMW brackets that fastened to the top of a Ski-Doo Linq jerry can and held a SOS shovel. I think they wanted $100 for the bracketry and they werent sure if it would fit any different brands of shovels. I'll see if I can round up a picture.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A close up picture of the Powder Keg Case with the Shovel option, on the inside of the lid is the saw, flash light, flint and fire starter.....

I took this from thier web site, I can take some pictures later....

Attachments

• Powder Keg.JPG
    Powder Keg.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 102

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem with the powder kegs is they hold tunnel heat and either make the sled over heat or close to it allways.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem with the powder kegs is they hold tunnel heat and either make the sled over heat or close to it allways.

There's a gap between the tank and the tunnel, as well the tank has holes in it, and a gap between the tank and the case, cant speak to other sleds.....we have them on to M'8's and haven NEVER over heated...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have buddies that have them on all three and the all get hotter than they should.

Even a air gap isn't enough.

A normal open tunnel has air , snow on top of it. That friggin thing blocks 95% of it.

Makes all the sleds not preform as good cause they are hotter and heat limited more.

One buddy took his off mid day and hide it in the trees and was like a 800 and not a 600 after.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my RMK I used to snap a shovel into the belt holder and keep my belt under my seat, but those oldies had room to spare under the hood! Now she just gets bungied to the tunnel.

Top Bottom