Whitecourt

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't say a lot of open fields. Lots of pipeline, power line right aways, abandoned logging roads, bogs, etc, to play in. If you are not familiar with the area, it helps if you have a gps with a decent mapping program to know where you are going if you are going off trail as it's easy to get mixed up because there are so many of these right of way lines going in all kinds of directions.

mxcollector

Reaction score
Looking at making a trip from Cold Lake for the weekend. We're not getting any snow here out of the clipper pushing through. Any recommendations on places to ride? Is it even worth it yet? We were looking at maybe heading north of town on the golden triangle. Any good open fields to play around in up there? Open to any suggestions, as we have never been. Just looking to explore somewhere new.

Go to the south side of the river , stage at the goat ridge parking ....from there you can make a loop via Goodman lake then back to the summit cabin via the summit trail (it been all groom more then once allready btw) then just 100ft south from the summit cabin take the Manweiller trail and towards the end the snow is over 18" deep just take some cut line or fsr and play ...this will for sure make your travel from Cold lake worth it !!

Or as good alternative , go to Athabasca river runner trails system ....most of it is groom and the best snow is towards Spotted horse /srptember lake ....but they have only 12" on the ground .

Both place contion were before last night snowfall ....so they likely have more by now ....

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks! Pulled in to Whitecourt tonight. Pumped for tomorrow. The snow in the parking lots from the last day is about all we have so far in Cold Lake.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We staged at Eagle River yesterday. Rode to location M. We were only tracks on the trails. They were fairly rough.

Played a bit on some of the cut lines. Always a fear of hitting something. But all seemed good.

Was a good time.

six buck

Reaction score
Just a word of caution, Be on your toes for sled and trailer security. Our hotel lost one guests complete trailer and sleds. Our group lost one sled and an attempt was made to get three more. Our group had everything locked up too. Right in front of security cams also. These thieves obviously know there stuff but they are in for some surprises I suspect.

mxcollector

Reaction score
Sorry the hear this .

Few weeks ago ,We got our truck window broken and all containt ,gear bags stollen including 2 wallet as we were out on the trail in Whitecourt ..... bet they are the same group of scum bags !!

I think the RCMP should use the similar bate trailer and sled unit the BC RCMP have been using succesfully in Kelowna ...

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any traffic been through to silver summit hill? Crew from Fairview riding from Whitecourt to Edson in couple days.

I was across to Tom Hill road from Whitecourt yesterday. Packing trail and filling in creeks. Snow in cut blocks is very skinny! Not enough to groom yet. It does get a bit better closer to Tom Hill but snow is much better closer to Whitecourt.

Last edited:

bjohnson

Reaction score
Let me know how your Whitecourt trip went, I am also from CL and was considering travelling up to WC for a look around.

Thanks,
Brian

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trip was great Brian. I'd definitely hit Whitecourt again. Picked up a couple trail passes from IGA as well as some raffle tickets for the doo 174 to support the club. The trails were amazing. Much better than anything we have local. We staged south west of town at the Groat Creek staging area, and rode to silver summit and back. Stopped at the summit warm up shack on the way back, lit a fire and had lunch.

Next time I'm thinking we'll do the Golden Triangle. If we didn't have a mountain trip planned already, I'd go to the World Snowmobile Invasion in February.

smd

Reaction score
I am from Saskatoon, and we have NO snow. I was thinking of taking some guys out to Whitecourt. Is I all trail system, or is there meadows and openings to play around in? Never been there. Help!

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Saskatoon, and we have NO snow. I was thinking of taking some guys out to Whitecourt. Is I all trail system, or is there meadows and openings to play around in? Never been there. Help!
The club maintains over 400 km of trail, most of which has been groomed at least once this season so far. There are tons of pipelines, power lines, cut lines and off trail play areas along the trail system. The snow is decent here but we can always use more. More info and maps avaliable at Whitecourt Trailblazers

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate if someone riding the Whitecourt area today could post current conditions. Thinking of taking the family out tomorrow. Thx

Marmot MB

Reaction score
I was in Whitecourt yesterday.

I did not do any ASA trails so I cannot comment, but I would suspect, fairly good coverage, very hard packed, sun hardened / rain crust surface for the most part but certainly okay to ride on.

we rode 35 KM north of Whitecourt towards Swan Hills. Did a variety of cut lines / powerlines. coverage was certainly good enough for a fun day moving around. some area's had 2 ft of nice fresh no tracks. Had to be wary everywhere of hidden stumps and logs for sure.

Did some ditches down some Lease and Plant roads and those were the best riding of the day ! DEEP and Fresh. Did 5 - 8 KM of Main Road ditching and it was very well covered.

I suspect the closer you get to Swan Hills the better the snow would be.

Without a doubt given the local conditions it is worth the trip from Edmonton. If coming from further away I suspect there is far better riding to be had elsewhere.

smd

Reaction score
From Saskatchewan and we have more snow in our freezers than outside. Looking to come to either Edson ab or whitecourt ab the weekend of jan 23rd. Don't want to just do trail riding. Where do you suggest we go where there is some open meadows and spots and powder to play in? Edson? whitecourt? If so what area ?

your help is appreciated

smd

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Saskatchewan and we have more snow in our freezers than outside. Looking to come to either Edson ab or whitecourt ab the weekend of jan 23rd. Don't want to just do trail riding. Where do you suggest we go where there is some open meadows and spots and powder to play in? Edson? whitecourt? If so what area ?

your help is appreciated

smd
Wouldn't waste the fuel to come to Whitecourt or Swan Hills until we get more snow. Can't speak to Edson, haven't been there for a bit.

Danny-Boy

Reaction score
New to snow and mud. love it so far. lots of great info. Im in the Edmonton area and as you all know we have crap for snow. Was thinking of heading up near whitecourt or past whitecourt Saturday for better ridding. I have a 2015 trail pass but was hopping to find more off the beaten trail snow. Any input would be great. Cheers everyone.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better hurry, all this plus weather is killing our snow, dropped a foot in my yard in the last 2 days and only supposed to get warmer

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Top Bottom