Which would you rather Own: 2012 Stock 155" Pro RMK or 2011 M8 153 Race Gas Turbo?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Which would you rather Own: 2012 Stock 155" Pro RMK or 2011 M8 153 Race Gas Turbo

my backup sled is a turbo M8, these sleds are very cool when running but like so many turbo owners why is it for sale? I bought my turbo cheap as well.... my buddy was so sick of wrenching on the thing that he went to a big bore Polaris so he could avoid the never ending tuning, wrenching etc, very impressive sled when running, but that's the key "when running". My 11 is sweet and I haven't rode the turbo yet due to work, but have seen it in action and when it's on it's on, been running it on av gas at 8lbs and it's very very impressive and has been reliable lately. I would get a turbo as a main choice but call it your backup as you never know when it's going to give you issues

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Which would you rather Own: 2012 Stock 155" Pro RMK or 2011 M8 153 Race Gas Turbo

It seems once you get your head stuck on wanting a turbo, It doesn't go away till you own a turbo.

Colorado

Reaction score

He doesn't have any issues with it, my other buddy also has the same sled with 5x the miles and purchased the same time. He has 2 of these sleds and has a lot of Jack so selling it isn't a big deal. But, the word is he wants a 163 PRO RMK turbo! Reliability isn't an issue, it was built by the best turbo builders money can buy VOLK!

Colorado

Reaction score

my backup sled is a turbo M8, these sleds are very cool when running but like so many turbo owners why is it for sale? I bought my turbo cheap as well.... my buddy was so sick of wrenching on the thing that he went to a big bore Polaris so he could avoid the never ending tuning, wrenching etc, very impressive sled when running, but that's the key "when running". My 11 is sweet and I haven't rode the turbo yet due to work, but have seen it in action and when it's on it's on, been running it on av gas at 8lbs and it's very very impressive and has been reliable lately. I would get a turbo as a main choice but call it your backup as you never know when it's going to give you issues

Love your thinking!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have you rode a boosted 153? Have you compared it to a boosted 162?.. what kind of suspension does it have? Sometimes track speed can make the difference between a fun boosted ride and a pain in the butt wheelie monster/trench machine...

Last edited:

Colorado

Reaction score

have not tried either.

He is selling 2:
*2010 162" standard m8 550 miles and pump gas turbo by Volk $7500

*2011 is a 153 sno pro m8 race fuel set up with intercooler by Volk $9500

apples to apples the 2011 is a better deal i bet, however I could be wrong. I'm thinking that I might just drop off my pro this weekend and have a pump gas turbo installed on my pro:)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

have not tried either.

He is selling 2:
*2010 162" standard m8 550 miles and pump gas turbo by Volk $7500

*2011 is a 153 sno pro m8 race fuel set up with intercooler by Volk $9500

apples to apples the 2011 is a better deal i bet, however I could be wrong. I'm thinking that I might just drop off my pro this weekend and have a pump gas turbo installed on my pro:)

I'm absolutely not a boost expert but I'll share with you what I experienced in the ride aspect. I loved a longer track with boost. My husband would give me his 162 TM8 when the going got tough.. I had so much fun picking where I want to go with ample flotation and oomph. My buddy had a 153 that was boosted. The super fast track speed made it get stuck easier, and wheelie more. had to tweak his suspension a lot. For me the boost wasn't so I could go fast up a hill, it was so I could have fun in the trees and not be upside down in ginormous tree wells. My husband worried about me less. My sled back then was a M8 153. I'm on a stock pro with an MBRP can. LOVE it. It goes everywhere. It's a sled that I am enjoying learning on. I've rode a race gas 163 pro.. holy man it was fun.. Just ripped! I personally like a longer track if it's boosted, but at my riding level I have tonnes of fun with a stock Pro. I'm learning so much this year on this Chassis. Can't say enough good about the pro.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

3 threads and 40 posts later you got the right conclusion my friend. Cheers

Colorado

Reaction score

yep, I'm now in the hunt for a 163 pump gas turbo PRO. I'll keep my other as a stock or here I come VOLK, I'm ready for a turbo:)

momma, great insights. The cat is old hat, I love my pro so much it fits me like a glove:)

Colorado

Reaction score

After spending the last 4 hours reading about pro rmk engine issues, i don't think they quite are ready and reliable for a turbo. 7000 out of pocket to turbo my machine... don't think so

looks like i'm pursuing one of the cats unless i can find an already turbo'd pro and keep my 12 as a backup

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the TM8 is a very reliable set up. 3500 miles last year (yes MILES) not a problem with it. Pulled apart this fall and rebuilt the motor just as maintainence percaution. It didn't need it. Everything was in great shape. The only thing I would suggest is to replace your reeds or check them at least at every 500 km mark. I run 10lbs boost consistently. However, race fuel is a little pricey. I think you will find yourself on the turbo more than the Pro once you get riding it..........good luck

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have both of those sleds. The Polaris is fun for an 800 but a little boring for me (after riding turbos for the last 3 years) and the TM8 is super fun. I would not sell mine for less than $12,500 so that is a great deal (it is in the states though). I suppose if you're a beginner keep the PRO. If you really need more buy the TM8. I can do more on the TM8 and I only run it on pump gas. Can you turn the boost down to run pump gas? Race gas is expensive and a pain in the arse. I don't know much about the Boondocker kit but if you can't run pump gas then I would stay away from it.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the TM8 is a very reliable set up. 3500 miles last year (yes MILES) not a problem with it. Pulled apart this fall and rebuilt the motor just as maintainence percaution. It didn't need it. Everything was in great shape. The only thing I would suggest is to replace your reeds or check them at least at every 500 km mark. I run 10lbs boost consistently. However, race fuel is a little pricey. I think you will find yourself on the turbo more than the Pro once you get riding it..........good luck
Mine has reed stops and a cpc turbo and this seems to have solved the issue of reeds so often, properly setup kit is definitely the make or break with a turbo, mine was melted twice before finally getting it manageable now it's fine tuning and I can't wait to get a chance to wail on it knowing it's mine and not my buddies problem when I'm on it, way less inhibition

Colorado

Reaction score

Final Conclusion:
*Keep enjoying my 2012 Pro RMK, getting to know the sled and working on my skill abilities...
*Snow checking a 2013 Pro RMk 155

Done!

Colorado

Reaction score

I bought the TM8, absolutely love it! the pro definitely in stock form is more capable then a stock 2011 m8 but with a turbo the m8 is far superior to a pro. 300hp sled that handles so similar to the pro but can blaze up any hill with ease, hold a solid sidehill and crush the polaris in all aspects.

stock polaris vs TM8, you've gotta be crazy to think a 12k stock sled is better or comparable to a 20k turbo m8. selling the polaris, riding the m8 for the rest of the season and snow checking a 2013 pro and having vohk turbo it. in the meantime its turbo time

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought the TM8, absolutely love it! the pro definitely in stock form is more capable then a stock 2011 m8 but with a turbo the m8 is far superior to a pro. 300hp sled that handles so similar to the pro but can blaze up any hill with ease, hold a solid sidehill and crush the polaris in all aspects.

stock polaris vs TM8, you've gotta be crazy to think a 12k stock sled is better or comparable to a 20k turbo m8. selling the polaris, riding the m8 for the rest of the season and snow checking a 2013 pro and having vohk turbo it. in the meantime its turbo time

You should really dyno that TM8 if you think it makes 300 HP........

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You should really dyno that TM8 if you think it makes 300 HP........

never heard of the Jet fuel kits that are avalible??

your final decision on keeping the pro is the right one. As a beginner you dont even really know what your looking for in a sled and what your style is going to be.

Top Bottom