Which to buy?

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my eyes on a 2009 honda cfr x 250. Just want to know if this is the right bike for me and any opinions on it. I was also wondering the difference between a wide ratio clutch and a closed ratio clutch as the 250x and 250r have the different clutches. I went into turple but no one came to ask if I needed anything so I walked out. Also looking at a 2010 yamaha yz 250f, so any opinions or comparisions would be appreciated. I have never rode dirt bikes before just owned a few harleys and am looking for something different than a quad. Thanks

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score
the wide ratio is geared wider for a higher range more open trail riding. the close ratio is geared tighter like a 2-stroke more so for sand, mud and tight trails. the honda comes with a light and electric start adding to much weight as far as i am concerned 253lbs wet. the yamaha listed is kick start and no light not that hard to kick a 250 4 stroke weight is 224lbs . in my opinion i would go for the yamaha 30 lbs lighter makes a big difference on a 250 4 - stroke. whether you buy a yam,hon,suz. usally comes down to rider comfort.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what you want from a bike its a little hard to know if its the bike for you...

Do you race MX? Are you looking to ride some hare scrambles? Or are you more of a weekend warrior who likes to get out and have a good time but still want to look cool? :d

To start with your wide ratio vs close ratio question - typically a close ratio tranny is meant more for MX track use where the power is use in a narrower range. The wider ratio tranny's are preffered by guys who ride single track. This isn't the case with everyone and what they prefer, but holds true in the design of the tranny. The wider ratio can give you more range with each gear you ride in. Although many people prefer to have close ratio in the woods though.

With close ratio trannys you will be keeping the rev's up more so. So if you are riding really tight stuff you might not like it. I actually don't mind it myself.

Now for bikes. The CRF250X is a great bike. Has a lighting stator/lights as well which is a big plus if you primarily ride offroad/trails. As if you want to remain legal, head/tail light is required.

The YZ250F, like the CRF250R, KX250F and RMZ250 are all MX bikes by design. They are meant to be used on mx tracks, reving high, and may require a little more attention for maintenace (I said may, not always but sometimes for you naysayers)

If I was in the postion to buy another bike today it would likely be a KTM 250 or 350 XCF or a CRF250X as they are purpose built bikes.

So describe what you want from a bike and it will be easier to suggest what might be good for you.

I was replying as the othe rreply was sent - Oh and yes as rm250 rocket mentioned, the lights/battery/estart do add a little weight....but I will deffinetly have the easy button on my next bike.

30 lbs is a significant difference though...some is also from the 18" tire on the Honda. MX bikes will have a 19" rear to save weight (less rubber) off road trail bikes will have the 18" rear, more rubber, more sidewall.

Last edited:

campstove

Reaction score
You may also want to keep in mind what your local dealers are like as far as service and parts. These new four strokes are amazing bikes what ever brand you decide on, but they do break, and are not as easy or cheap to fix as the 2 storkes. I'm lucky to have a good relationship with my local dealer, do you?

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another bike I would look into is the yamaha WR if youre into trail riding,bush roads etc. Try a 450 before you go 250 though:beer:

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking to ride mostly bush trails, not interested in doing the mx thing or at least don't think I am. I have never had or even ridden a dirt bike before so I have no idea what the right direction is for me. I just also assumed that a 450 would be too big and powerful for a bike starting out but it may be the case of there is never too much power it is just how you use it. I have quadded a bit but think the dirt bike would be more fun to ride. I have a budge that I want to stay under as well, not looking to spend more than 5k. Also what kind of maintenance is required for these bikes. I just figured that you would dump the oil once a season on the four strokers and call it good but it seems there may be more to it that that. Let me know if you can push me in the right direction.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find a nice Honda 250/450X or Yamaha WR 250/450 you'll probably be happy. Comes with lights so all you need is a plate and you don't have to worry about the fish cops and stuff.
If you find a real cheap 125 2-stroke to start with, you may be able to re-sell it for what you paid when you want to get a bigger bike. You should probably look for a trail bike as opposed to a MX bike but 125/250 2-stroke or 250/450 4-stroke, you're going to have a blast on any of them.

Dirt biking is WAY more fun that quadding!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on your size/weight a 450 might be a good size to consider. I am a pretty light guy and my 250 works very well. Many people have been surprised with the power of the new 250 4strokes. If you are a heavier guy you might consider a 450 so you don't out grow the bike as you gain more experience.

There is a little maintenace to be considered with newer 4strokes. Especially japanese MX motors. Anyone can do this maintenace. Its very basic stuff. But you will want to not only change the fluids but be checking valve tolerances and understand a little about carb tuning. This is stuff that you can learn as you go too.

One down side to a 4stroke is should you get it wet, sink it in a bog/creek/water hole, you might have a little more work on your hands. A 2stroke, drain the oil, refill and go. (most times)

Keep in mind other items like chain lube, spare tubes, riding gear like knee and shin pads, maybe a chest protector, even a kneck/back gaurd.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u are not riding the track a 250 or 450x is probaly the best way to go although if u want something mantance free maybe look at a older honda XR400 or 650 heavy yes but for bush riding its hard to beat bullet proof bikes and can normally be found from 2000 to 3500 bucks for a good one.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best advice: don't buy a motocross bike unless you plan to ride at least 50% track. Don't fall for the "enduro bikes look dorky" trap that a lot of new riders get into. Your buddies on MX bikes may make fun of you at first, but when they are stalling out on every tree root they hit (no flywheel weight), pushing their bike to the nearest tree at every stop (no kickstand), packing an extra gallon of gas on their back (2 gallon tank) and blowing their right knee out from kickstarting after every stall (no e-start), they won't be laughing anymore.

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score
450 4-stroke is a heavy bike yes lots of power but when learning to ride you way better off with 250 4-stroke or 250 2-stroke . i've always had 2-strokes easy to maintain and more fun than a 4-stroke as far as i'm concerned. Nothing like the feeling of powerband of a 2-stroke. i've tried my brothers honda 450r nice bike but not as agile as my 250 2-stroke.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
450 4-stroke is a heavy bike yes lots of power but when learning to ride you way better off with 250 4-stroke or 250 2-stroke . i've always had 2-strokes easy to maintain and more fun than a 4-stroke as far as i'm concerned. Nothing like the feeling of powerband of a 2-stroke. i've tried my brothers honda 450r nice bike but not as agile as my 250 2-stroke.

its the rider not the bike had a 250x and a buddy had a 250 2 stroke and in the strights he could stay ahead no problem but in the thight areas i had his a$$ every time. the wide ratio tranny is something that is very usefull and the weight diffrence dosent make a diffrence unless u are track riding IMO

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score
its the rider not the bike had a 250x and a buddy had a 250 2 stroke and in the strights he could stay ahead no problem but in the thight areas i had his a$$ every time. the wide ratio tranny is something that is very usefull and the weight diffrence dosent make a diffrence unless u are track riding IMO

my bike is geared higher for a 2-stroke i ride with my brother 450r and unless you have raced the only difference is top end.

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score

its the rider what the f&ck is that . anytime you want to ride let me know

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its the rider what the f&ck is that . anytime you want to ride let me know

Congratulations you just proved to everyone here that you don't have a clue. Any real rider knows that it's not about what you ride but how you ride it. I've pulled a few holeshots on my 250f in the mx3 class when I was the only guy on one and everyone else was riding 450s. I've also had some fast kids on 85s kick my ass when I was riding a yz426. How about you take that rm to a track for a day and learn a thing or two about real world riding? I think you'll find it to be a humbling experience.

Top Bottom