Which sled for newbie girlfriend

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I've learnt now we're taking quite a few new riders and junior riders out via the Betties project is that different sleds work for different people, which is why they make different models in different shapes and sizes. It really does depend on where you ride, your riding style, your aggressiveness or desired aggressiveness along with your level of ability at the time you purchase. It's tough to know what you want or what's best for you when you start out and there's a good chance you'll need to adjust that once you get out a few times and find out what your riding style is and what you want to get out of the sport.

What brand? 600 or 800? 144, 153, 162?...the debate will go on forever...what IS important is that you get out and try it and KNOW that if it doesn't work for you - you can adjust it or you can change to something else, just because one thing might not work, don't give up on the sport altogether! Get out and find what DOES work for you...regardless of what others say, find what works for YOU and makes YOU happy. :D

One advantage is my 600 costs half as much to run in a day out riding than my 800...to some people on a tight riding budget, that alone would make the decision...you can ride twice as much in a season for the same money :) AND I can start it in in -20 weather...need my man to start my 800 in the real cold weather...and I'm not too proud to admit that. :p

I have to admit I agree with Maxwell...not all women (or men for that matter:p) are cut out for 800's or should they be. For me, I wouldn't have anything else, but I've seen it over and over and it IS too much power for some people just starting out...not everyone knows throttle control or is used to the power thing...and may not know how to react to it, which can be a tad dangerous for them.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I just picked up a crossfire 6 for the girls.It will b a fun ditchbangin machine if we get any snow around here and should be good enough for the couple trips the girls make to the hills.In a couple years if they decide they like riding they can inherit my proclimb,Romeo can take over the 6 and daddy gets a new machine!!!! Win ,win for everyone!

hi mike> YOU JUST bought a 600. what do you think on the subject? Lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 99 rmk 700 example probably wasnt the best. My wife loves just putting along the trail and enjoying the scenery. She is also 5'6 120lbs (well about a buck fifty now because shes seven months pregnant:d), and Im sure she could handle my sled if she wanted to. But not all women want to.

A 600cc sled would probably be a blast to ride, and wouldnt even be ridden to its full potential by alot of guys. So for an economical, light, fun to ride sled for a small beginner woman.......I think its the best choice. But if your lady is aggressive, or you have extra money to spend you cant go wrong with an 800. If budget werent an issue and I were buying a new sled for my wife it would be a new RMK 600 155.

joebrokeit

Reaction score
I will have to agree to disagree. My wife rides a m8 153 and luvs it, the girls ride a 600 136, 700 136 and a m7 144. They luv to ride and are happy with what they ride. I would deffinately recommend 144 to 155. 800's are great and I'm sure she'd do great on it. As far as 600's if ya find a good deal don't pass it up, a pipe ,,clutching and gearing and that 600 with her on it will go anywhere you can go on an 800!! In a year or two she can get something bigger. Bigger isn't always better, and i would recommend you let her help decide on the ride she wants.. just my 2cents

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Taminator;1518191 I have to admit I agree with Maxwell...not all women are cut out for 800's or should they be. For me said:
Sensible, even from Maxwell... I still maintain that if you are taking out a beginner, especially on a POW day, don't skimp on the track. In my experience, there is very little that drains newbies more than being stuck every time they stop, no matter how much help they have getting out.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sensible, even from Maxwell... I still maintain that if you are taking out a beginner, especially on a POW day, don't skimp on the track. In my experience, there is very little that drains newbies more than being stuck every time they stop, no matter how much help they have getting out.

Ouch!

Anyways. I'd rather have a 162 600 than a 146 800. Floatation is key for a new rider forsure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get her to try any pro rmk and see how she feels about it. even snopro had one as his avatar briefly so they must be ok. (thanks moderators). LOL!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be scared off by buying your girlfriend a 600! It is a great starter sled and will give her the confidence she needs to become a great rider. I rode an M6 for two seasons. Although it didn't have the hp like the other sleds in my group which were 800's...I pretty well was able to get to all the same places as everyone else, just had to work the machine a little harder! I agree with Tam also that no doubt the 600's are cheaper to buy and maintain. For someone just starting out, and not quite sure I would definitely say a 600 is the way to go!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The wife doesn't ride anymore but my girls do. 21,18,and 14. They bounce between the 800 and the 600. They are not aggressive riders but love the sport just the same. They prefer the 600 with the 144 track. It's less intimidating and they feel more in control. If you do decide to go with a 600 go with a little longer track like a 155 for Polaris :)

Attachments

• 282.jpg
    282.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 107
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 103

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny because I'd say that 90% of people don't use a stock 800 to its full potential. Must be an ego thing.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny because I'd say that 90% of people don't use a stock 800 to its full potential. Must be an ego thing.

If I had the money is probably have a 600 153 and a 800 162. Unless its a deep snow day he 600 would be more fun to ride. I find it easier to hang on when its to the bar as opposed to feathering the throttle.

Definitely an ego thing imho or in nads case a sand in crotch thing

Last edited:
Top Bottom