Which sled for newbie girlfriend

thebigm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eagleriver.ca
I see we all agree you wont be considering a Phaser. The best thing that happened to my buddy's is that it caught on fire and burnt. :d. I had two different Newbie females out with us last year and bouth rode my 2012 Pro Rmk 163 in "deep" conditions and they are both hooked. Sure... there was a learning curve, just like everyone, but by day two you had to chase them down to stop em. Lol. Survey says go with an 800 and at least a 151 + and I agree. :).

Cheers,

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty tough to beat the 05 - 07 M7's as a starter sled. They are bombproof, light to ride, and you can get one with a 162 for not that much money. They will go anywhere an 800 will and the way the power goes to the track feels very manageable.

There lots of them around for 4- 5 grand too. This is what my wife rides and she has been really happy with it over the years.

I think it is a good starter sled and if she likes riding you can put the cash into a big bad new 800.

Attachments

• Daw.jpg
    Daw.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the classic mistake of buying my wife a 600. We made three trips with that sled and she hated everyone of them lol! Then she rode a m8 and felt more comfortable on it as soon as she got on it. So I bought her a m7 162 now there's no stoping her. I would recommend the m7.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh ya....... Maybe PM Rowdy, She was thinking of selling her sled. Pretty much everything has been done to it, but the thing with a Rev is..... Either you like them or hate them. I personally loved my old 04 :D

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even the "timid" girls/ladies around here prefer an 800 and ended up selling their 600s either within the first year or end of their first season. A 600 weights pretty much the same as an 800 = worse power to weight ratio. I'm sorry but the throttle/acceleration is pretty damn similar between an 600/800 so the argument of an 800 throttle "scaring her off" is pure sexist BS.

Well the sexist BS put an end to my wife's sledding!! We are talking early 2000 vintage (03 - 04) and back then there was a significant weight and power difference between the 6 and 800's, I sold the 600 x 144 and picked up an 800 x 144, the wife made one trip only(four day weekend), scared herself, and has never rode in the mountains since! I picked up another 600 and she rides it a bit around the farm but thats about it. Shame on me!! I do agree with you on the newer sleds, there is minimal weight difference between the 6 and 8's...

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the sexist BS put an end to my wife's sledding!! We are talking early 2000 vintage (03 - 04) and back then there was a significant weight and power difference between the 6 and 800's, I sold the 600 x 144 and picked up an 800 x 144, the wife made one trip only(four day weekend), scared herself, and has never rode in the mountains since! I picked up another 600 and she rides it a bit around the farm but thats about it. Shame on me!! I do agree with you on the newer sleds, there is minimal weight difference between the 6 and 8's...

Katie rode my 04 RMK 800 twice last year. She said the 800 was to heavy for her so know what you are saying. I love jumping back on the 600, feels so nimble in comparison.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my better half rides a 600 xp with a 146. she loves it. i tried giving her my freeride but she finds the 600 enough. with the light sled and weighing in at 120 she can keep up very well.

mikey1

Reaction score
I never expected so much great advice. Thanks for all your input. Found a 2007 M7 153" for $5400 but that sounds too much

mikey1

Reaction score
found a 2008 800 dragon with e start and 155" track. its local, has 2000 miles on it with 1000 miles since rebuild and some other extra. Does $5500 sound right

nads

Reaction score
found a 2008 800 dragon with e start and 155" track. its local, has 2000 miles on it with 1000 miles since rebuild and some other extra. Does $5500 sound right

I sold my 2009 Ski-Doo Summit 800" 146 with 2 years of engine warranty left for $4800 last year. $5500 sounds a little pricey for a 2008....

nads

Reaction score
Katie rode my 04 RMK 800 twice last year. She said the 800 was to heavy for her so know what you are saying. I love jumping back on the 600, feels so nimble in comparison.

My gut feeling tells me that a 800cc Summit 800 XP probably weighs less than a 04 RMK 800 or 600.

Also, the weight difference between a 800 and 600 is like maaaaaybe 20lbs between models of the same year/brand. I mean, come on. If you're really that worried about the weight difference just buy an aftermarket can to drop 10-15lbs and hit the gym to drop the remaining 5lbs, ha.

If the throttle "scares you", snowmobiling is probably the wrong sport. A 600/800 do NOT engage that differently. Just change the gearing if you want it to engage smoother/slower/less snappier. There are a lot of mods you can do to clutching as well.

I have taken out 5+ first time women sledding in Whistler in the last 2 years, all aged 18-30 and all on Ski-Doo Summit 800 XP 146's and they all loved it, and had no issues manuvering, or with the throttle or power.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gut feeling tells me that a 800cc Summit 800 XP probably weighs less than a 04 RMK 800 or 600.

Also, the weight difference between a 800 and 600 is like maaaaaybe 20lbs between models of the same year/brand. I mean, come on. If you're really that worried about the weight difference just buy an aftermarket can to drop 10-15lbs and hit the gym to drop the remaining 5lbs, ha.

If the throttle "scares you", snowmobiling is probably the wrong sport. A 600/800 do NOT engage that differently. Just change the gearing if you want it to engage smoother/slower/less snappier. There are a lot of mods you can do to clutching as well.

I have taken out 5+ first time women sledding in Whistler in the last 2 years, all aged 18-30 and all on Ski-Doo Summit 800 XP 146's and they all loved it, and had no issues manuvering, or with the throttle or power.

Not all women are alpha females like you and your friends.

For the majority of women a 600cc 150" sled is going to be more than enough. My wife is super athletic and my 800 is way too much for her. Got her a 99 rmk 700 from MOMMA and she absolutely loves it. Not saying that all women should be on 600 class machines.......but they are perfect for alot. Its not just the extra 20lbs of wieght, but the gyroscopic effect of the engine. A 600 feels WAY lighter than an 800. The new 600s have tonnes of oooomph, and they are more economical to run.

Some women can ride an 800 and that is great. But for the average girl just looking to get out with her guy once in a while a 600 is better IMHO. If a chick is that aggressive that she is riding the crap out of an 800......she should buy her own sled. You're the ones that wanted equal rights!;)

nads

Reaction score
Not all women are alpha females like you and your friends.

For the majority of women a 600cc 150" sled is going to be more than enough. My wife is super athletic and my 800 is way too much for her. Got her a 99 rmk 700 from MOMMA and she absolutely loves it. Not saying that all women should be on 600 class machines.......but they are perfect for alot. Its not just the extra 20lbs of wieght, but the gyroscopic effect of the engine. A 600 feels WAY lighter than an 800. The new 600s have tonnes of oooomph, and they are more economical to run.

Some women can ride an 800 and that is great. But for the average girl just looking to get out with her guy once in a while a 600 is better IMHO. If a chick is that aggressive that she is riding the crap out of an 800......she should buy her own sled. You're the ones that wanted equal rights!;)

Most of my girlfriends are timid 5'0-5'5" and around 100-130lbs and they seem to handle an 800cc just fine. You're probably teaching her wrong or you have her on an older 800cc that handles horribly. Sasha is 90lbs and handled a 09 800cc 146 just fine. I can 100% guarantee you that an 800cc e-tec runs way more economically than your 99 rmk 700. That is a flawed argument.

Hey, I'm not the one that likes digging when the 600 gets stuck or can't pull the mandatory climbs to get to the glacier, or tow out the 800cc when it blows 100km back in the mountains. I guess you just like digging.

My own experience is that most men are a lot more timid and throttle shy than most ladies out of the 20+ first timers I've taught. Women seem to follow instructions to the T, and get stuck far less They're a lot smoother on the gas, guys tend to be either off or on the throttle in the beginning, creeping into climbs then hammering on the gas and trenching. Maybe more men should be on 600's. :)

You're supposed to be inspiring confidence in your riding partners, not telling them "oh no, the 800 is too much machine for you."

I would seriously love to poll all the women on this site and see how many are riding 600's vs. 800's vs. turbos. I can 100% guarantee you that theyre not all "alpha agressive women" and there are quite a few of your pretty normal outdoors loving women and housewives in their 30-40's and older who all seem to ride 800's just fine. Hell I know for a fact there are even a few not so agressive ladies on turbos who love them too.

Limiting growth isn't confidence inspiring, and the new 800's are RIDICULOUSLY easy to handle. Even for 90lb 5'0" tall pipsqueak girls.

Last edited:

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of my girlfriends are timid 5'0-5'5" and around 100-130lbs and they seem to handle an 800cc just fine. You're probably teaching her wrong or you have her on an older 800cc that handles horribly. Sasha is 90lbs and handled a 09 800cc 146 just fine. I can 100% guarantee you that an 800cc e-tec runs way more economically than your 99 rmk 700. That is a flawed argument.

Hey, I'm not the one that likes digging when the 600 gets stuck or can't pull the mandatory climbs to get to the glacier, or tow out the 800cc when it blows 100km back in the mountains. I guess you just like digging.

My own experience is that most men are a lot more timid and throttle shy than most ladies out of the 20+ first timers I've taught. Women seem to follow instructions to the T, and get stuck far less They're a lot smoother on the gas, guys tend to be either off or on the throttle in the beginning, creeping into climbs then hammering on the gas and trenching. Maybe more men should be on 600's. :)

You're supposed to be inspiring confidence in your riding partners, not telling them "oh no, the 800 is too much machine for you."

I would seriously love to poll all the women on this site and see how many are riding 600's vs. 800's vs. turbos. I can 100% guarantee you that theyre not all "alpha agressive women" and there are quite a few of your pretty normal outdoors loving women and housewives in their 30-40's and older who all seem to ride 800's just fine. Hell I know for a fact there are even a few not so agressive ladies on turbos who love them too.

Limiting growth isn't confidence inspiring, and the new 800's are RIDICULOUSLY easy to handle. Even for 90lb 5'0" tall pipsqueak girls.

Huh..... Where do you take these 90 lb pipsqueak girls that a 600cc sled won't take them??? So the 600cc is no longer needed? Guess someone better let the sled manufactures in on this little secret!! lol....... I wish I could have met you 30 years ago, I have failed miserably teaching my family how to ride a sled, here I have been telling them that we can teach a monkey how to pin it!! Anyway moving along... my granddaughter is about 70+ lbs, has been riding since she was 4, now she is not timid, currently riding 300cc yammy and can ride the sh!t out of it. I also know she is not done growing, now she seems to think she needs a bigger sled this year soooo you don't think an 800 would be to big??? It sure would save me money if I could jump over the 600cc series as I know she will be on an 800 one year, I sure hope her mom doesn't have a bird???

Sorry mikey1, didn't mean to hijack you thread.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes lets spend 15000 on a summit x 163 800 for a new rider.

600cc done.

cheaper, more reliable, lighter, perfect for learning, more economical, easier starting, goes anywhere the 800 will. can upgrade when and if the time ever comes.

if your girlfriend inspires to be one of the pro women riders that rides every weekend of the season, then yes an 800cc sled is what you want.

my gf weighs a whopping100 lbs soaking wet not a chance in hell im going to let her murder herself on an 800 until shes ready for it by beating the pizz out of a 600 first.

there is a 30hp difference. its not the same.

there is a major difference between someone who wants to do big drops, big climbs into the "mandatory glacier" than someone who just wants to get out a couple times a year and have some fun.

not every women rider is going to go out to whistler and pull these massive hills to get onto the glacier. they are going to go up the trail and have a good day with their family in some nice safe meadow areas.

tons of women can pilot an 800 mountain sled, and thats GREAT! but not all, and not all need to or want to. so lets not start calling people out because they arent confidence inspiring LOL!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom