Which sled for newbie girlfriend

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pick is a well running 600 polaris/skidoo/cat. The one I got my fiance is more than enough power for her, without being too much power to scare her off the throttle. This might not be important for an aggressive lady, but for someone a bit timid or new to power sports might be a factor. The big mistake was I got it without electric start. She can start it herself once it's been running that day, but sometimes it can take 3-4 pulls. Every pull wears her out more and means less sledding energy. This year it'll have electric start.

As far as having less power, yeah it will have less power. But she also weighs 100lbs less than me. The power to weigh ratio isn't that bad when it's her on it and that's who you have to consider is riding it. And a 600 will pull a sled out nearly as well as a 800.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phazer.... Boooooo!!! That was my first sled. Even with a turbo it was a hard to handle P.O.S. The best day I had with it was the day it went down the road for good!!

Go with an 800 and at least a 153" track or you will be shopping again this time next year... There are lotsa people
on here who are brand loyal. Myself, I started to love sledding when I got my 2009 M8 SnoPro, so I have a soft spot for Arctic Cat. But, I know that those proRMK's are soooo light and nimble for the lighter gals.

As for reverse, that's a must for anyone. Electric start?? Meh... The rule in our house is that if you can't pull start it you don't deserve to ride it :)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If polaris pro is in the budget, they are the light and you won't go wrong! and the 600 x 155 has more than enough power these days for most, but weight wise, there is very little dif from 600 to 800! If your GF is agressive "in her out door sports" I would lean towards the 800, if not you better stick to a 600 as the 800 may be a little to much for her and make sledding unenjoyable!! If budget dictates an older sled, IMHO an M7 is one of the best behaved sleds for ladies in the mountains! Hope this helps!!

nads

Reaction score
My pick is a well running 600 polaris/skidoo/cat. The one I got my fiance is more than enough power for her, without being too much power to scare her off the throttle. This might not be important for an aggressive lady, but for someone a bit timid or new to power sports might be a factor. The big mistake was I got it without electric start. She can start it herself once it's been running that day, but sometimes it can take 3-4 pulls. Every pull wears her out more and means less sledding energy. This year it'll have electric start.

As far as having less power, yeah it will have less power. But she also weighs 100lbs less than me. The power to weigh ratio isn't that bad when it's her on it and that's who you have to consider is riding it. And a 600 will pull a sled out nearly as well as a 800.

Even the "timid" girls/ladies around here prefer an 800 and ended up selling their 600s either within the first year or end of their first season. A 600 weights pretty much the same as an 800 = worse power to weight ratio. I'm sorry but the throttle/acceleration is pretty damn similar between an 600/800 so the argument of an 800 throttle "scaring her off" is pure sexist BS.

goldenboys

Reaction score
I rode a 2011 600 etec last year. Has great power, was only a 146" track but easily kept up with the guys I rode with that day. The new 600's are not to be underestimated! I believe the hp in the new 600 etec was simliar to the mid 2000's 800's

nads

Reaction score
I rode a 2011 600 etec last year. Has great power, was only a 146" track but easily kept up with the guys I rode with that day. The new 600's are not to be underestimated! I believe the hp in the new 600 etec was simliar to the mid 2000's 800's

A 600 e-tec is not even comparable to older 600 p-teks or 600 RMK/Phazers. I was under the impression the starter of this thread was looking for older 2nd hand snowmobiles, not brand new 13,000 before tax snowmobiles. Stll though, why not get her an 800? Is it just because shes a girl and needs a barbie sled?

Point is, why limit her ability to grow and learn by handicapping her with a smaller engine? The two girls I knew that had 600's ended up HATING them after getting on an 800cc. Climbing and getting around is EASIER if you have more power when you need it! Seriously, do you want to be doing more digging when she can't make climbs? If you polled all the women on this site who snowmobile I can 100% guarantee you they prefer an 800cc over a 600cc (and quite a few have turbos and LOVE them!). I don't know ANY women in Whistler who ride a 600. Then again it's all mountain riding out here, and the guys realize that girls can in fact keep up regardless of size or strength. Even the tiny 5'2 100lb girls are on 800's.

I hate to say it, if shes "afraid" of throttle or power, a 600 wont make it any easier to get around or up climbs for mountain riding. (Also if she doesnt like the throttle, you can change the gearing on the chaincase so it engages smoother on an 800.)

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 600 e-tec is not even comparable to older 600 p-teks or 600 RMK/Phazers. I was under the impression the starter of this thread was looking for older 2nd hand snowmobiles, not brand new 13,000 before tax snowmobiles. Stll though, why not get her an 800? Is it just because shes a girl and needs a barbie sled?

Point is, why limit her ability to grow and learn by handicapping her with a smaller engine? The two girls I knew that had 600's ended up HATING them after getting on an 800cc. Climbing and getting around is EASIER if you have more power when you need it! Seriously, do you want to be doing more digging when she can't make climbs? If you polled all the women on this site who snowmobile I can 100% guarantee you they prefer an 800cc over a 600cc (and quite a few have turbos and LOVE them!). I don't know ANY women in Whistler who ride a 600. Then again it's all mountain riding out here, and the guys realize that girls can in fact keep up regardless of size or strength. Even the tiny 5'2 100lb girls are on 800's.

I hate to say it, if shes "afraid" of throttle or power, a 600 wont make it any easier to get around or up climbs for mountain riding. (Also if she doesnt like the throttle, you can change the gearing on the chaincase so it engages smoother on an 800.)

Wether its man or woman, I've always wanted beginners or newer riders on a superior sled to my own. It gives them and everyone involved a better experience. Maybe not a turbo 300 hp firebreather but a stock 800 will certainly due the trick.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even the "timid" girls/ladies around here prefer an 800 and ended up selling their 600s either within the first year or end of their first season. A 600 weights pretty much the same as an 800 = worse power to weight ratio. I'm sorry but the throttle/acceleration is pretty damn similar between an 600/800 so the argument of an 800 throttle "scaring her off" is pure sexist bs.

bingo!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my better half rides and 800 with electric start. It has a 163" track. We doo a lot of riding (trees, meadows, etc.) and I don't spend very much time getting her unstuck nor starting her machine! I doo have trouble finding her in the trees some days. She loves it!

Put her on the newest, longest sled that you can afford and be patient. She will fall in love with the sport and the sled...............guaranteed!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put her on the newest, longest sled that you can afford and be patient. She will fall in love with the sport and the sled...............guaranteed!

Unless she is my wife who thinks snowmobiles are too noisy and smelly............:Cry:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with those who said 'No Phaser'. With all the women riders we're meeting, one thing that's constant is the Phaser is not the right sled for a woman mountain rider...especially a newbie. I personally haven't ridden one, so don't know why, but I trust the word of the many who have.

The Cat, Pro, Doo are all a much better choice IMO. I started on a 07 600 Rev 144 track, it got me out faithfully (diehard sleds), had lots of power and pretty easy to learn to carve, sidehill etc...they handle different with the steering being dif then the Cat and Poo, but once you're used to it, it makes no difference. BUT I'm now on a new Cat 800 153 track and have been for a couple years...would I go back, not if my life depended on it. Once I learnt how to handle the 600 I was ready for more...more power, more track....more terrain and more challenge. It's easier to get places on the 800 and takes much less effort. I had to work my arse off to get the 600 through anything more than a couple feet deep...and throw in an incline and I was done for. First and foremost, you have to get a sled that fits the budget and fits the rider the best you can, you never know what she'll migrate to once she gets riding, but getting her on a sled that is the best option at the time gets her out on the snow...which is #1...unless it's a Phaser, then she might as well stay home on the couch, it'll be a better experience for her. :p

I full on support getting an 800 with a 150's or more track...especially if you think she'll take to it. I also have no regret starting on my 600...it never missed a beat and was super cheap to run compared to an 800.

Good Luck...hope to see her out on the snow this year. We'd love to have her at our Betties Newbie ride in Golden if you can make it :D

PS...I might have missed it...but what kinda budget are you shopping on?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I just picked up a crossfire 6 for the girls.It will b a fun ditchbangin machine if we get any snow around here and should be good enough for the couple trips the girls make to the hills.In a couple years if they decide they like riding they can inherit my proclimb,Romeo can take over the 6 and daddy gets a new machine!!!! Win ,win for everyone!

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine rides an 11 M8 162 and has fun, reverse is a nice option and the extra power is never the problem you think it will be, my neighbors 10 yr old rides an 08 M8 153 and he says the power is scary til he's in the deep and needs it

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even the "timid" girls/ladies around here prefer an 800 and ended up selling their 600s either within the first year or end of their first season. A 600 weights pretty much the same as an 800 = worse power to weight ratio. I'm sorry but the throttle/acceleration is pretty damn similar between an 600/800 so the argument of an 800 throttle "scaring her off" is pure sexist BS.

why do they even make a 600 mountain sled !? i never understood

that being said, when I first started the 800 throttle did scare the poop out of my poopchute a little

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com

Yep. The one person in my house that likes horsepower more than I do is my wife...

Buy an 800 154"+, and if your girlfriend falls in love with it (if she likes fun at all I suspect she will) keep the sled. If she hates it, at least it carries better resale than a 600.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with nads. Take it from a girl who got into the sport ALONE with EVERY sales guy telling me to get a 600, I told them to bugger off and got an 800 151 track. She'll learn to ride it and love it. And in turn love you for it. Women can handle some HP between their legs. ;) :p

Top Bottom