Which powersaw to buy

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a chainsaw that if i remember it right was skil chainsaw, right on the front it had 16:1 mix. That saw never did get mixed at that ratio, i even mixed it 100:1 for a few years, my tree falling buddy never did bring that saw back. After looking at the video of the saws shooting out, there is now way the 500 sthil has that hp ..or my 2100 is under listed for power ...one of the two. I doubt it would beat my 480 cd. God i have too many saws.

Last edited:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well waited long enough , went and bought a little camping saw.
Went too stihl dealersgip and wasn’t impressed by the salesman. Was a dick , guess I didn’t look like a lumberjack lol
Made my decision to buy a Husqvarna so much easier
d4daf0115ebcfdfb16bd56bb2bee2a8e.jpg

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was going to buy a Stihl chainsaw I'd be looking for an MS500i. The first EFI chainsaw. Might be hard to find though, not sure if dealers have stock on them yet. 79cc, 6.8hp, at 13.6lb.

Otherwise if I needed a bigger saw I'd be getting a Husqvarna 572XP.
20220413_121127.jpg

Well, I added a 500i to the collection today. Pretty friggin sweet saw

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How often do you sharpen your chain? Think I need to get a chain sharpener instead of a new chain every time I use it lol

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every two tanks of gas quick touch up takes a minute or two gain that back x10 with cutting performance. Or as soon as cutting is noticeably slowing down. Rocks and dirt happen.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What saw do have duke? Chain size pitch etc. If you are not sure all good. IMO Stihl makes a great sharpening tool that is very easy to use. Lots do it by eye, same as anything time and experience.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What saw do have duke? Chain size pitch etc. If you are not sure all good. IMO Stihl makes a great sharpening tool that is very easy to use. Lots do it by eye, same as anything time and experience.

Its just a POS pulan pro 18 inch. It runs good and has not bad power for its size.
Not sure what chain though.

The chain doesnt seem to stay sharp long, i never sharpen them though lol

Think i better start though, cause buying a chain every time is dumb.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should say on chain likely .325?
Ill have a look at it when i have a chance.
In Revy right now.

Thinking just a hand sharpener, or maybe a bench setup. Something quick hopefully haha

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run half dozen chains and then take them in to get sharpened. I picked up this Stihl sharpener and it does an amazing job. I use it on my stihl and Husqvarna. If I don't let the chain get to bad it doesn't take much time to sharpen. It sharpens teeth and flattens rakers at the same time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-225012_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-225012_Chrome.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 78

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run half dozen chains and then take them in to get sharpened. I picked up this Stihl sharpener and it does an amazing job. I use it on my stihl and Husqvarna. If I don't let the chain get to bad it doesn't take much time to sharpen. It sharpens teeth and flattens rakers at the same time.
That’s the one.. just need to figure out your size needed for sharpener

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best thing going. I just hit mine with two or three strokes before I use it almost every time and that way it never gets dull. Sharp saw is the tits. Nothing worse then when ya grab your buddies and it’s full as f. Makes ya appreciate your own sharp saw. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Sharps saws are the tits. Not sharp, stop cutting. LOL
If it and chippin, it aint worth dippin.
I used to use guides and such, but now only free hand my saws with the proper file.
I buy files by the box. Sharp file, easy to sharpen.
Most people seem to think a 6 dollar file lasts forever.... Also use a file brush and clean them.

Low on wood, so it has already begun for next winter.

210224_080722_34.jpeg
210224_080722_36.jpeg

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I use Husqvarna saws.
372xp G for the big ch!t that needs big power. Just love this saw.....
365 Professional series all round saw for falling and bucking.
An older 51 with a 15inch bar for very fast limbing and bucking the smaller end of the tree.
Also have an old craftsman saw which is over 3o years old. Starts first pull, runs great. General use saw that I just cant part with. Part of the family now. LOL

That MS500i is pretty sweet looking. Save up my pension for a September bday gift.

cooovid.jpg

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Slowly geting the wood re-stocked.
Mostly pine but when we find the heavy Birch, its go time all day.

We burn all winter in the shop to save on gas bill.
But large fires are a nust. Wife still does lots of smoked meat and fish for winter....

Light loads compared to Fernie Snow, Bwhaa..
I seem to have nothing but time right now so being in the bush is sweet.

20210412_114659.jpg
20210413_144944.jpg
20210415_202438.jpg

Top Bottom