Where is the best riding in b.c within a reasonable distance from Calgary?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The "best riding" is very subjective. Totally depends on what you want; trees, climbs, trails, scenic, etc.

The south east Kootenays (ie Elkford/Fernie) are pretty sweet and not a lot of traffic.....but then again I'm probably a little biased!

Both have great grooming programs for the high traffic areas and trail passes are the cheapest at $10/day in Fernie & Elkford. If you like the area, a provincial membership (Fernie is BCSF and Elkford is ABCS) will
eliminate the hassle and cost of daily trail passes as they are with the membership.

PS a great time to get a feel for the area will be the Mountain Mania V weekend, Jan 20, 21, & 22, 2012. Maps, area descriptions, tours, and good ol' Kootenay hospitality!

Last edited:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loved Radium: only been there for two days, but would definitely go back. I also liked Fernie area...

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crowsnest / elkford / fernie are your best bets for a day ride. Golden is 3 1/2 hours from my house and you have to add an extra 30 minutes to get to quartz. Add 45 minutes to Silent pass. That makes for a long day trip.

In 4 hours, I can be in Lumberton.
In 2 1/2 hours, I can be at Castle
In 3 hours, I can be in fernie or Elkford

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
serious??? how slow do you drive. I crank this off in 2hrs 15min, pretty much every second weekend from forest lawn to the subway. Mayby 2.5hrs if roads are bad and too much ski traffic.

Just because you can crank it off in 2:15 doesn't mean everyone wishes to crank one off so fast.

Its 3 hours Calgary center to Golden doing the speed limit. 2.5 is pushing it through the park a little. With most of the 4 lane going smooth and minimal ski traffic its not a bad day trip.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I have ridden Fernie 4 weekends already and Elkford once love riding there was looking somewhere else with a little more snow, within a reasonable distance I also have a season trail pass for Fernie as my uncle is part of the club and lives there, it is awesome riding out there just needs more snow...

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
serious??? how slow do you drive. I crank this off in 2hrs 15min, pretty much every second weekend from forest lawn to the subway. Mayby 2.5hrs if roads are bad and too much ski traffic.
I am calling bullch!t on that one. It is a three hour drive. Either your watch is broken or you drive reckless.
Had to wait while the accident scene was cleaned up east of Golden tonight. It was a fatal accident, you wern't involved were you?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have ridden Fernie 4 weekends already and Elkford once love riding there was looking somewhere else with a little more snow, within a reasonable distance I also have a season trail pass for Fernie as my uncle is part of the club and lives there, it is awesome riding out there just needs more snow...

We all need more snow......bring it on! :xmas2004_15:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, Fernie sucks. No snow, no hills and crummy attitudes :D:D

Golden is the ticket.

Top Bottom