Where does oil come from? LOL

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At our company, the oil comes out of the oil pan when you punch a hole in after rolling the truck...just sayin'

Five right offs in a month and a half...

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was to a place not long ago in BF nowhere SK where they built an experimental facility to boil used motor oil which turns a majority of it into diesel. They had big dreams and investors but used motor oil is full of junk and it was hell on equipment.

Funny you mention that, I worked on one east of Shaunavon Sk a couple years ago, built with a bunch of recycled and Chinese made equipment, of course the Chinese boiler was not up to snuff and turned into a small bomb.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention that, I worked on one east of Shaunavon Sk a couple years ago, built with a bunch of recycled and Chinese made equipment, of course the Chinese boiler was not up to snuff and turned into a small bomb.

That's the place. There was a bunch of new equipment when I was there. Big wig investors were coming from Texas and we had to get things running quick.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it seems to me that by what you have said we are very likely buying oil from our competitors and not using our own. Something pretty ----- up with that.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell it at bargain basement prices and buy it back at a premium the whole premise makes me furious.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Coop have a refinery somewhere? I hope someone would say they fill their jugs with THEIR OWN OIL. Please Please Please. I right now would be happy to buy Canadian oil even at a sort of premium price.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Coop have a refinery somewhere? I hope someone would say they fill their jugs with THEIR OWN OIL. Please Please Please. I right now would be happy to buy Canadian oil even at a sort of premium price.
The coop sonic 2 smoke synthetic oil is great oil, and 50 ish bucks for a 5l jug

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Regina.. however its tough to tell, lots of lubes are repackaged from another refiner.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it is pretty much politics that our oil has to go around the world a couple of times and then we can still buy someone elses oil. I imagine it is like that with all of our resourses in Canada. Do we make the end product out of anything?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it is pretty much politics that our oil has to go around the world a couple of times and then we can still buy someone elses oil. I imagine it is like that with all of our resourses in Canada. Do we make the end product out of anything?

For sure, if there is a local demand like for diesel, gas, jet fuels etc we make those locally for sure. Its all about economics.. if the demand is in the area they can likely strip it, modify it, and build it. That is the neat thing about a refiner is they take what they need and pass on the rest further down the line.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell/ Quaker state stuff used to be blended in Calgary from feedstock made at Scottford and USA refineries. It closed a few years ago and since then all shell and Quaker state stuff comes out of the states.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So correct me if i am wrong. Our gas and diesel is all alberta sourced. Oil products come from elsewhere since we don't have packaging facilities?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So correct me if i am wrong. Our gas and diesel is all alberta sourced. Oil products come from elsewhere since we don't have packaging facilities?

Sort of. The base oils used to make motor oils etc are made mostly in Mississauga and Sarnia. I don’t know if they are packaged here anymore or not.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the information. Be nice if we could package it in alberta though.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a private tour of the Esso refinery in Strathcona some 15 -20 years ago. I witnessed the packaging line for motor oils. At the time that I arrived they were packaging Esso branded oils as I would have expected. I stood there and watched for a few minutes and to my surprise without a stop they suddenly switched to packaging,believe it or not Safeway branded oils. I asked the person giving me the tour what's up with that. He told me all the different Brands that they package but for the life of me I can't remember them all. He told me all the base stock is the same from brand to brand and the only change is the packaging and the additives. So that being said at some point in the transition there will be oils that are a blend of the two brands during the transition from one additive to the other.

Top Bottom