Where does a guy mount a license plate?

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Ohvdude is my plate in an acceptable location to avoid hassle, or should I just expect a bit of hassle...? * beerchug *

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to answer the first question if you came from BC to AB same rules would apply. You would be required to have ID, insurance and reg. I hope this helps.

To Tex 78 if you take a minute and read my other posts you would realize. I have started posting on this forum to clear up some confusion with certain legislation, so all OHV riders can enjoy a safe riding experience without having to worry about the legalities. It is more of a service stand point. I like to educate rather than just enforce which gives a bad experience for you and me at the same time. We are attempting to reach the masses and this seems to be the way.

i have to say poor ole tex 78 was crappin bullets at the side of the road that day , haha, is there a reward for turning him in? he already admits to $500 or so in fines, hehe. this is gettin good. tex will be sweatin bullets next year, bet he has registration and insurance.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Said I have insurance. Larry.

Just not into a money grab more than insurance.

from my HTC

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand your just doing your job and you can't change the law ( you yourself might even be fairly slack on off road laws) but from off road users point of view, registration is really a cash grab. There are no inspections on off road vehicles (I would know, I was a motorcycle tech) and I've seen far more hazardous cars/trucks driving on highways in reply to you saying it keeps them in working order. So long as it stays registered within Alberta it will never see another safety inspection.

It would make more sense (to me) to just require insurance on off road vehicles for obvious reason and to show ownership of the vehicle. I still won't be registering my sled as its $200 to still not have the right to riding in a ditch, but hey I can now ride on a trail where I might see 2 people over the day and not disturb anyone.

Again, I know your just doing your job, I'm just criticizing the governments logic behind license plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand your just doing your job and you can't change the law ( you yourself might even be fairly slack on off road laws) but from off road users point of view, registration is really a cash grab. There are no inspections on off road vehicles (I would know, I was a motorcycle tech) and I've seen far more hazardous cars/trucks driving on highways in reply to you saying it keeps them in working order. So long as it stays registered within Alberta it will never see another safety inspection.

It would make more sense (to me) to just require insurance on off road vehicles for obvious reason and to show ownership of the vehicle. I still won't be registering my sled as its $200 to still not have the right to riding in a ditch, but hey I can now ride on a trail where I might see 2 people over the day and not disturb anyone.

Again, I know your just doing your job, I'm just criticizing the governments logic behind license plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here here.

I agree

from my HTC

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there Ryder,

While I do understand your frustrations. You must register and insure all OHV`s in Alberta at this time. Registering a vehicle in the Province of Alberta helps to insure all vehicles are in safe working order and are permitted to operate in the Prov.

Registering a vehicle yes.
Registering an OHV no because it does nothing to insure it's in safe operating condition as they never ever need to be inspected. So that excuse is BS!
It's a cash grab plain and simple. Law enforcement wants the plate and they want it on the rear so that they can see if it's registered which means it's was insured at the time of registration-nothing more. But on a sled or quad, chance of reading it are slim to none cuz they are covered in SNOW&MUD usually. So even that makes no sense.
Give me a lifetime plate, and I will insure it every year. You can ask me for my pink card any time!

OHV COP

Reaction score
Registering a vehicle yes.
Registering an OHV no because it does nothing to insure it's in safe operating condition as they never ever need to be inspected. So that excuse is BS!
It's a cash grab plain and simple. Law enforcement wants the plate and they want it on the rear so that they can see if it's registered which means it's was insured at the time of registration-nothing more. But on a sled or quad, chance of reading it are slim to none cuz they are covered in SNOW&MUD usually. So even that makes no sense.
Give me a lifetime plate, and I will insure it every year. You can ask me for my pink card any time!

I can`t disagree with what many of you are saying. I will however disagree that `Law Enforcement want it to be on the rear` I do not make the rules. The Prov of AB makes the rules. I enforce the rules with discretion.

Again though thank you for the feed back it will help us all get along in the future.

OHV COP

Reaction score
In BC it's just a $20 registration fee. If you choose to get insurance is up to you. Question for OHV COP, if I came to ride in Alberta would I have to have insurance?

Sorry I answered the questions wrong the first time. If you come from BC just for a few rides and are not a resident of AB, the following applies:

10(1) A person who drives an off-highway vehicle is not required
to have a certificate of registration for the off-highway vehicle and
to display licence plates issued under the Act if

(a) the off-highway vehicle complies with the off-highway
vehicle registration and licensing law of a jurisdiction
outside Alberta,

INSURANCE STILL APPLIES!!

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok I understand that but. It just seems he trolling trashy.

from my HTC

Because he's a new member and happens to be a cop, he's trolling :confused: We all are to blame for trolling, how do you think I got 37,000+ post's :rolling:

I'm not picking on you Jeff...... But I think it's a good thing that S&M has a cop here, but more so.....
He's a rider too, so he can appreciate the questions we have been asking for a long time.

I personally would like to see a few more actual cops that ride, join the site.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can`t disagree with what many of you are saying. I will however disagree that `Law Enforcement want it to be on the rear` I do not make the rules. The Prov of AB makes the rules. I enforce the rules with discretion.

Again though thank you for the feed back it will help us all get along in the future.

Your right, you don't make the laws you just enforce them.
But law enforcement definitely influences changes to laws. Especially if they argue the safety points.
And I have never heard anyone in law enforcement question the plate on the rear the way us common normal logic thinkers do! You can't say my argument doesn't make sense.
Jeff, register your crap so we don't get arrested next time we drive through Enderby lol!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back on topic...... I have had 3 sleds since my 97 Summit. The summit I had the plate mounted on the snow flap, and ended up losing all 3 of them.

I have not and will not mount a plate on my sled that does not come with a place to mount a plate, all my papers are up to date.
I have no reason to run if I was to get stopped, and I have been stopped. But I also have never got a fine for not having it visible.
I'm not saying that this is OK for everyone to do.

OHV COP

Reaction score
But law enforcement definitely influences changes to laws. Especially if they argue the safety points.
And I have never heard anyone in law enforcement question the plate on the rear the way us common normal logic thinkers do! You can't say my argument doesn't make sense.
Jeff, register your crap so we don't get arrested next time we drive through Enderby lol!

I get back to the office Wed and I am going to make some inquires about this plate&reg debate. I am a OHV rider on days off...I go to Revy, Golden,Mcbride ....So just like you I use common logic. I do hear what the masses are saying and I will look into it. I will get back to you with some answers shortly.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did have it then if I recall.

I have insurance up the wazzoo.

But what's a plate going to do if we get stoped.

It's not stolen, has insurance ect...

from my HTC

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, mines on the snowflap, pink card and wallet in backpack, beers when we get back home or hotel... let er rip boys!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can we have the law enforcement just send tex 78 his fines, or do we need to send them his location when he goes riding, i would not enjoy sending said info in, but would if it was my national duty so to speak

who am i kidding
icon10.gif

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does this apply for riders from saskatchewan? In regards to ATV's only, you cannot put plates on an ATV is Sask.
As well if you think it's a cash grab in Alberta well in saskatchewan you have to pay an extra $50 onto your plates no questions asked in order to ride on the groomed trails. What really ticks me is they go ahead and make the trails where ever they want. For one instance they called a trail behind the house that my father and his friends made with their bare hands (and chainsaws) for hunting around 15 years ago. On another not i tend to stay as far away from the groomed trails cause not my style of riding on beaten iced paths. Havnt plated my sleds in at least 8 years.
Sorry I answered the questions wrong the first time. If you come from BC just for a few rides and are not a resident of AB, the following applies:

10(1) A person who drives an off-highway vehicle is not required
to have a certificate of registration for the off-highway vehicle and
to display licence plates issued under the Act if

(a) the off-highway vehicle complies with the off-highway
vehicle registration and licensing law of a jurisdiction
outside Alberta,

INSURANCE STILL APPLIES!!

OHV COP

Reaction score
Does this apply for riders from saskatchewan? In regards to ATV's only, you cannot put plates on an ATV is Sask.
As well if you think it's a cash grab in Alberta well in saskatchewan you have to pay an extra $50 onto your plates no questions asked in order to ride on the groomed trails. What really ticks me is they go ahead and make the trails where ever they want. For one instance they called a trail behind the house that my father and his friends made with their bare hands (and chainsaws) for hunting around 15 years ago. On another not i tend to stay as far away from the groomed trails cause not my style of riding on beaten iced paths. Havnt plated my sleds in at least 8 years.

It sure does apply to you. All Prov outside of AB.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@ OHV COP

thanks for chiming in.

question, is there any plans for a sticker plate?

I would put one of them on the side of my side of my tunnel but there is no way I am gonna be drilling holes in my tunnel to mount a plate. I have tried the snow flap but it never stays there.

Top Bottom