Where does a guy mount a license plate?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drill 2 mount holes in the snow flap and then put my new looking plate in my backpack. I told the ranger that stopped me that I keep losing it on the flap and he was fine with it. I think it depends who stops you and what mood they are in.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our Group was at the Renshaw on the 17th and we ran into the Parks Guys and they were out on a PR mission. They informed us that they will be enforcing the plate and registration rules. They were a great couple of guys and offered up answers to any question we had. They did tell us that the plate had to be mounted on the sled and the in the backpack or in the seat would not cut it. So I would strongly suggest that you start mounting your plate and carrying your registration.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In saskatchewan the police ride skandics. I don't stop for them cause from the manufacturer there is no place to mount it and I'm not putting extra holes into my $14000+ machine. I also don't bother plating my sled. I still have insurance and liability.

Dillinger

Reaction score
I would have politely told that cop to screw off, its power trippers like that, that give cops a bad name. Strathcona county is really bad for crap like that. Although its horrible advice, what works best is to simply not get caught, because sometimes there is absolutely no pleasing them. Its just a cash grab after all.

You would of just stood there a took the ticket.....

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We keep ours under the seat. Got stopped at Athabasca poker rally and the guy asked for ins. and reg. Didn't even look for plates but it does depend on if the guy is havin a bad day or not if he will hassel you or not.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True. Plate needs to be mounted on the front or the rear. On the side is a ticket waiting to be written. Strathcona county is a brutal place for any motor sports. Someone called the cops on me for being on the road with my quad. They paid me a visit while my son was out in the back rippin up the track on his dirt bike. He told me that the track was not allowed. I'm like WTF? It's my property. He doesn't ride past 10. My neighbours don't care and are 10 acres away on each side. He said if we got a complaint, they would come down and write tickets. If I continued, they would even go so far as to destroy the track for me. I was appalled. But he was being reasonable with his mannerism etc. So he asked me what kind of quad leaves black marks on the road like that? Lol. I showed him and we talked about the build for another 15 minutes. Anyway, sorry about ranting off topic. Sherwood Park RCMP can be very difficult at times.

There's no where to mount the plate on the front. It gets wrecked on the back. They need a sticker that goes on the tunnel like BC.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There's no where to mount the plate on the front. It gets wrecked on the back. They need a sticker that goes on the tunnel like BC.
X2
Registration for off highway stuff should be like a trailer. Buy it once. Put the sticker on. Insure it every year. Done.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats kind of strange that they got it unhooked but didnt take it.I wonder if someone scard them off? How was the trail at Ministic?
catmando!:werd:

X3.

I would register it then.

Otherwise mines insured but no registration.

It will cost me 250 a year for the skidoo and quads.

It's a 250 ticket.

Saved for the last 5 year's is 2500.00.

So if I get caught ill take the ticket.

from my HTC

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't alberta use the sticker plate like they do back east, seems to make the most sense. plate stays with the sled, done, buy a new sled get a new plate. I swear to God that there are some very narrow minded SOB s running around being A holes, especially around SP.

OHV COP

Reaction score
X3.

I would register it then.

Otherwise mines insured but no registration.

It will cost me 250 a year for the skidoo and quads.

It's a 250 ticket.

Saved for the last 5 year's is 2500.00.

So if I get caught ill take the ticket.

from my HTC

Hi there Tex78! While I definitely understand where you are coming from with the money saving aspect, you may want to consider along with the ticket comes a tow. Once towed the vehicle will be held at the local tow yard until you can produce insurance and registration. Just a friendly heads up so a good day of riding does not get spoiled.

Stay safe

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there Tex78! While I definitely understand where you are coming from with the money saving aspect, you may want to consider along with the ticket comes a tow. Once towed the vehicle will be held at the local tow yard until you can produce insurance and registration. Just a friendly heads up so a good day of riding does not get spoiled.

Stay safe

A plate on an off highway vehicle is a Money grab, period. What is the point of it really? You won't be able to write my plate down when it's covered with snow or mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHV COP

Reaction score
A plate on an off highway vehicle is a Money grab, period. What is the point of it really? You won't be able to write my plate down when it's covered with snow or mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there Ryder,

While I do understand your frustrations. You must register and insure all OHV`s in Alberta at this time. Registering a vehicle in the Province of Alberta helps to insure all vehicles are in safe working order and are permitted to operate in the Prov.

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In BC it's just a $20 registration fee. If you choose to get insurance is up to you. Question for OHV COP, if I came to ride in Alberta would I have to have insurance?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stay safe

While I understand that I may get towed if u can tow my quad from where I go good luck.

Plus I got stoped 2 times last year, while I was looking for my insurance they forgot about me and let us all go.

So u could have made 500 off me last summer.

Question ohv cop.

What's up with trolling on here ??

from my HTC

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there Ryder,

While I do understand your frustrations. You must register and insure all OHV`s in Alberta at this time. Registering a vehicle in the Province of Alberta helps to insure all vehicles are in safe working order and are permitted to operate in the Prov.

Sorry to be a dumb azz. But when have u ever looked at a quad as part of registration ???

Safe working order. Baaaaaaaaaaaa.

Never heard of a ohv d.o.t

It's a money grab plain and simple. Just like everything else now a days.

from my HTC

OHV COP

Reaction score
While I understand that I may get towed if u can tow my quad from where I go good luck.

Plus I got stoped 2 times last year, while I was looking for my insurance they forgot about me and let us all go.

Question ohv cop.

from my HTC

In BC it's just a $20 registration fee. If you choose to get insurance is up to you. Question for OHV COP, if I came to ride in Alberta would I have to have insurance?

Sorry to be a dumb azz. But when have u ever looked at a quad as part of registration ???

Safe working order. Baaaaaaaaaaaa.

Never heard of a ohv d.o.t

It's a money grab plain and simple. Just like everything else now a days.

from my HTC

So to answer the first question if you came from BC to AB same rules would apply. You would be required to have ID, insurance and reg. I hope this helps.

To Tex 78 if you take a minute and read my other posts you would realize. I have started posting on this forum to clear up some confusion with certain legislation, so all OHV riders can enjoy a safe riding experience without having to worry about the legalities. It is more of a service stand point. I like to educate rather than just enforce which gives a bad experience for you and me at the same time. We are attempting to reach the masses and this seems to be the way.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Question ohv cop.

from my HTC

Hey Jeff.... He's here to help us, not hurt us!!!

He's a rider too, but he knows the answers to the questions we have ALL asked ;)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I understand that but. It just seems he trolling trashy.

from my HTC

Top Bottom