When Buying a new sled

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's brother just bought a new sled, i asked what extras he got with it, none. It didnt come with a spare belt, spare spark plugs, oil or even gas. Just wondering what I should ask for or expect to get when buying my new snowmobile.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's brother just bought a new sled, i asked what extras he got with it, none. It didnt come with a spare belt, spare spark plugs, oil or even gas. Just wondering what I should ask for or expect to get when buying my new snowmobile.

At a minimum, an extra belt should be included...........a full tank of oil or even an extra bottle included.........

It's all about dickering with the dealer/seller on what they can throw in to make the sale........

Some places throw in a cover, or an extra belt, or even an helmet.........or sometimes they will give you a credit on anything in there store..........

It depends on the place, but most people try to get something thrown in.............

it also depends on the price. if you are already getting a a excellent price on the sled, you are more than likely not to get much in extras...........

cheers

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup he hit it, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if ya steal it (meaning great price) well the dealer has nothing left to give, some oil in the tank would be nice, but fuel Id rather not have them load and haul my sled around, so for the guys that brag they got this free that free its because they left other money on the table, there really is not much mark up so I would not worry too much but make sure they at least offer 20-30% off accessories etc... and hey always ask even twice for something they can only say NO....
good luck

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 4stroke will get you a full tank of oil...at least I better have...maybe I should check!

Belt and oil and the little tool kit used to be a given and I think would be at a reputable shop. Everthing is negotiable though.

I just picked up an 08 Phazer from Pro-AM. Came with all of the above and 1/3 tank of gas. And they swapped out the windshield to the one I wanted for nothing. I must have left something on the table!

l8r shawn

Senshi

Reaction score
Depends on how much you grind your dealer on the price as to how much he 'throws in' with your deal. Also depends on what brand sled you are dealing with; Yam and BRP have higher retails and margins (for most of their lineup) than Cat or Pol do. so you may find them more willing to give up more extras. Just be prepared to lay out more $ to start with.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way you are going to pay for it, so why does it really matter? Like kind of said above, you are either going to pay for it in the price of the machine, or on your own. You're probably better to look at discounts more than completely free stuff IMO. And dickering with dealers for price isn't always the best. They'll remember that when you wonder why you don't get any discounts on parts and accesories from that dealer in the future!

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy plaris they give out discounts in the mail with every vehicle you purchase from the dealer you chose. you may get 10% off on oil or starage accessories etc.

flatlandguy

Reaction score
I think all dealers expect you to negotiate a bit. If they are already giving you a smokin' deal on the sled they are still able to give you at least 10 to 20% discount on just about any accessory in the store and if they want to make the sale they will.
I heard today that BRP is clearing 09 summit 800's from the factory for $9000.00. Worth looking into if you're shopping!

willhickey

Reaction score
I agree with the comment that if you grind to much, then they remember you when you have warrenty issues and want help to buy anything else. I wish that they would do a little more. I can usually get a belt, $250 in apparrel, free documentation fee and some of the extra fees off. I have never though about asking them to knock off 20% above the $250. I bet if you bought it the same day that you buy your sled you would be able to get it. I think is also depends what time of year you buy your sled.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all dealers expect you to negotiate a bit. If they are already giving you a smokin' deal on the sled they are still able to give you at least 10 to 20% discount on just about any accessory in the store and if they want to make the sale they will.
I heard today that BRP is clearing 09 summit 800's from the factory for $9000.00. Worth looking into if you're shopping!

im shopping but still wouldnt pay that for a doo. i wish polaris would do that with their dragons

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i purchased 2 MTX Apex's back in November 08, I begged for two Yamaha hats, and thats all I got when I left. Then 2 weeks ago, the dealer phones me and says my two Yamaha gear bags are in. So in total, two hats, and two gear bags. You don't get much unless you beg, haggle or throw down more dough... I do get 10% off on my purchases each time I go in to the dealer now, it sure would have been nice to get the oil filter and the oil tossed in for my first oil change. Cost me $60 bucks for filter and four litres of oil. Two belts are $200 and change, spare plugs are about $58 and change for two sleds. Some things to think about when your haggling your dealer.... Good luck.

Top Bottom