Wheel swap

ken.gee

Reaction score
2015 Ram 3500 Mega SLT SRW 4x4
I'm looking to use my current 18" SLT chrome steel wheels as winter wheels, and upgrade to the "premium" stock wheels. Current tires are 275/70R18, found wheels off a 2014 with new tires (265/60R20). Tires may also be a 285/60R20 (which is even closer to stock than the first ones). Wondering if anyone sees anything 'off' with the swap, aside from the minor speed difference? I'm assuming stud pattern and offset shouldn't be an issue? Would you recommend those tire tuners or any other way of compensating or adjusting if need be?

Tire size calculator.PNG

Thanks!

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't help you in your decision making, but I can tell you this.... I just ordered a 2016 cummins with the black appearance group with 285/60/20's on the black wheels and I will be selling the package complete the day the truck arrives. I don't know if it interests you or not but they will be brand new with maybe 20-30 kilometers on them (dealership to my house) when removed. Pm me if you are interested.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My winter setup is from my 2010. Stock 17 rims and the tires are about 1.5" shorter. The speed is off/slower by 2-3km hour. Not a huge deal. My stock tires are on the 18" rims and almost worn out. I want to get some mud tires for summer but also want aftermarket rims. Might go 1" taller. All depends on cash flow.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't help you in your decision making, but I can tell you this.... I just ordered a 2016 cummins with the black appearance group with 285/60/20's on the black wheels and I will be selling the package complete the day the truck arrives. I don't know if it interests you or not but they will be brand new with maybe 20-30 kilometers on them (dealership to my house) when removed. Pm me if you are interested.

What do you mean your selling the package? the black apperance package like the mirrors and everything included in the black package? Or just the wheels, I may be interested int he wheels price depending.

ken.gee

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up...I was a day late seeing this since I just bought the Aluminum 18" wheels from a 2016 with 2 bald and 2 good tires for $900. Thanks anyway, enjoy the truck!

My winter setup is from my 2010. Stock 17 rims and the tires are about 1.5" shorter. The speed is off/slower by 2-3km hour. Not a huge deal. My stock tires are on the 18" rims and almost worn out. I want to get some mud tires for summer but also want aftermarket rims. Might go 1" taller. All depends on cash flow.

Great points. One thing I considered when buying the wheels was the cost of the tires. Tires for 17" and 18" wheels are significantly cheaper than the 20". Coupled with complaints I found on the internet of the poor ride and lack of sidewall on the bigger rims, it made financial sense to buy the same size wheel as I currently have and to be able to reuse my current tires on the new rims. Thanks for your input!

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean your selling the package? the black apperance package like the mirrors and everything included in the black package? Or just the wheels, I may be interested int he wheels price depending.

I would not have ordered the black appearance package if I didn't want the rest of lol.... That would be absurd!!!

But yes I did mean just the wheel/tire package will be up for grabs as I have new wheels and tires waiting on the arrival of the new truck. Pm if you are interested. Cheers!

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am open to discussion on price. I will have the 4 black wheels with tires,tpms sensors and lug nuts as well as the spare tire (loose, no wheel) all up for grabs. The truck is due to land locally in approximately 10 days. Pm me if you would like to talk further.

Top Bottom